X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House traps on the serious side.

Yesterday I got a call for a main sewer stoppage, in the well to do section of town. Well it turned out to be just another whole house trap stoppage. I cleared the trap with my trusty closet auger to get it to flow. Next I chiseled out the 3 1/2" brass plug on the house (inlet) side of the trap buried in the floor to clear the inlet. Double gloved up and I reach in to remove the big glob of crap blocking the inlet to the trap. What do i find, well it wasn't a $100,000.00 diamond. It was a heroin junkies used hypodermic needle. The homeowner later tells me his kid is a addict and is HIV+. Well I did not get stuck with the damn thing, thank god. So when your working in the field don't take any thing for granted. I still don't know how it got past the trap in the toilet. You have to guard against the worst no matter where you are. I am posting this as food for thought for the rest of you. Have a happy and safe 4th of July.
    Attached Files
    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Re: House traps on the serious side.

Thats Crazy, I once pulled a kids home made pot pipe out of a toilet while his dad was standing there watching, Other than the hepatitus shots what other vacinations should a drain cleaner have ?

Comment

I wouldn't worry about catching the HIV from that needle. The HIV can't survive outside a body.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Gear is right HIV has a short life span outside of the body. The thing you need to watch is Hepatitis B & C they have a longer life span but this is in a drop or puddle of blood. The effects of submersion in moving water will most likely reduce the levels of hepatitis. This would have only been a problem if you would have been poked by the needle which could have possibly caused a route of entry. We use salad tongs to clear house traps. We have different lengths to use with deep traps or hard to reach because there is something over them. The last resort if you can't get to one side of the trap because there is something over it we use a wet vac with a flexible hose.

Comment

Thanks Highland just bought a couple sets of stainless barbecue tongs for that purpose.
          WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
          ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

These are the tongs we use. The second from the left is only good for large items, the curve in the blades won't let it close tight. The others will pickup anything.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X