X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable for the K-39

What are thoughts on the 5/16" x 25' bulb end cable that comes with it, just ordered a new k-39AF. I was thinking I should get a 35' cable to get the extra length but I don't know if I should get the IC bulb end or the IC drop head? Any thoughts?

Re: Cable for the K-39

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
    What are thoughts on the 5/16" x 25' bulb end cable that comes with it, just ordered a new k-39AF. I was thinking I should get a 35' cable to get the extra length but I don't know if I should get the IC bulb end or the IC drop head? Any thoughts?

Hey IronRanger. Are you useing this machine for 1 1/2-2" Kitchen sinks?
    Or 1 1/4 Lav sink and tub drains? If for Lav sink and tub go with the 35' with Bulb end.
    1 1/4-2" use 3/8x50 ft with IC drop head better cleaning power.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I use the K40 "speed bump" cable and it works great. Mine is at least 2 years old with no problems. It's a 5/16 X35' IC cable with a bulb auger on the end.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'll be using it for everything 1 1/2 and under, the 3/8 seems a little big but I'm sure it would have the power to do about anything. I have a lot of kitchen sinks here that were plumbed backasswards, always seems like I'm running into bullhead tee's and sharp turns. I need something flexible, yet still have at least 35'.

Any problems using the bulb end?

Can't wait to get the K-39, I've always used the General before, the K-39 looks easier to handle, should be here in a day or two.

Comment

Bulb head is what I use Little more flexible for those 1 1/4 pipes. Bulb Works great on tuff turns and Galvanized pipe where a drop head or plain end cable can flip and rap up. Go with the 35ft I had a 25ft once came up short a couple of times.
          Rod
          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
          http://unclognh.com
          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I use the drop head most of the time,5/16 x 25 keeps the weight down, but I also keep 35' cable on the truck for back up or long runs. I used to keep 35' in but most times it wasn't needed and added weight. Can't go wrong anyway you go.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I have the K-39 loaded with 5/16x25'.
              also 1/4x25' and 5/16x50' on the truck.
              I cut a 2' and a 3' off the back of the 1/4"and bent the end to stab into a cordless drill.
              I also heat molded a 3/4"x24" sch.40 pipe for a guide/porcelain protector.

All this came to me last year from this forum.With a little extra kick from an especialy over zealous but good friend who's name need not be mentioned

Thanks Ridgid,
              You've helped keep me out from under the blue tarp next to the interstate.

Comment

I found I tend to kink the drop head 5/16 alot more then the bulb end...

I have a bulb end on now but have a drop head on the truck.

Okie

Comment

I like them both it just depends on the kind of drain you have to clear at the time,

this is a few tricks i learned from my dad,
                  glue a 45% on a 3/4" x 2' piece of sch 40 pipe with a 6-8" tail piece
                  it is great for reaching under counters and commercial equipment,

or take a slip joint adp. With a 6" piece of slip joint pipe glued in
                  to the small end and a piece of 1 1/2" approx, 12" glue to the other side
                  then drill 1/2" holes in the 1 1/2" pipe all around and up and down it
                  you stick in back up floor sinks into the drain makes a perfect
                  drain guide pipe so you are not sticking your hands and gloves
                  into the water as the drain opens the holes in the pipe allow the floor sink or drain to run down
                  JERRYMAC
                  E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                  CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                  FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                  SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

what you need to remember is no hand held auto feed machine will feed every last foot of cable. actually about 4-5' of cable will remain in the drum and slip as there is no anchor in the drum.

so the 25' bulb auger is what i use 90% of the time with the k39. if i need more i either will use my older k38 with a chuck adapter or use a cordless drill and carefully chuck up the last 4-5' and guide it into the drain.

i seldom use the drop head cable as it's delicate and is a specialty cable.

the 3/8'' cable is heavier and it's better suited for 2'' and c/o's. but remember this is a hand held machine and 3/8'' x 35' can get heavy with the spinning force.

for the best cable life, remove your cable after using and store outside the drum, it takes seconds to remove and less than a minute to install with no tools at all.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, great advice!

Comment

mooooosssseee. k-38 here. i use a general wire 5/16" x 50' cable. with hecs cutter set. i primarily use the "arrow head starter drill". www.drainbrain.com. i do a lot of trailer houses and need the reach. i know uck, i get $250.00 paid in advance. i would like a couple a day, quit at noon. go fishing with my grandkids. what a deal. breid

Comment

Working...
                        X