X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewer cleaning

I had a small back up in my sewer pipes a couple of days ago. Got it unclogged for now but would like to snake the lines to make sure everything is taken cared of. I'm looking at buying an auger to do this instead of renting one. I know calling a pro would probably be the easiest thing to do but would like to buy an auger and do it myself. I have rented augers before and had success. I bought a autospin about a year ago and it worked alright for the small lines but not the best. I bought it after reading the reviews on it on homedepots website but after reading the reviews of it on here I would have rather spent the extra 150 bucks and bought a K-39 instead. So I'm looking for some opinions on a decent sewer machine. Would like 75 to 100 ft of line. Not going to be using it everyday so would like to keep the price reasonable but at the same time don't want some peice of junk. Can someone recomend a decent unit and what size of cable and head I should be looking at? I see the K-400 for around 500 bucks, is this a decent unit? Also can is there a unit that I can change the drums/wire on and use for different situations? Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by ponch37300; 07-07-2009, 12:42 AM.

Re: sewer cleaning

a 400 is a drum machine with either the 3/8'' or 1/2'' cable option. this will get you buy in 1.5''- 3'' possibly 4'' soft stoppages only. not a root machine.

spend a couple bucks more and get a k-50 with 5/8'' cable and also the drum canister option for 5/16'' and 3/8''.

spend even more and get the best all around drain machine in existence. the k-60

this is the machine that will do 1.5''- 6'' including roots. but be prepared to spend 1000-1600 on it with the cable assortment.

so depending on what you're planning on maintaining, will determine what's best for you. maybe rent the machines and see what works best for you. renting is a hole lot cheaper than buying if you're only doing 1 -2 times a year.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the advice Rick. Maybe renting would be the best way to go. Just hate renting things cause if you rent it 5 or 6 times you could have bought one and have something that you can keep using. But not looking to spend 1000 plus on a machine either and don't want to buy something that's not going to work either and be a boat anchor. Maybe I can find a used k50 or something. How does the drum adapter you mentioned work? Thanks

Comment

Let me just say using these larger drain cleaning machines can be dangerous. So use extreme cation using them. Make sure you read the operation's directions and safety warnings and understand them. Any powered cable operated machine is dangerous.

I have had a home owner rent a machine after she seen me rod her sink line. She said I made it look so easy. Well the cable binded up on her and wrapped around her gloved hand, she instinctively yanked her hand back leaving the glove and some of her fingers still wrapped up in the cable.

A sectional machine is safer to use than a drum type, but you still need to be real careful.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

the drum adapter is a small drum that holds 5/16'' or 3/8'' x 35' of cable. it snaps into the k-50 machine and spins the drum for small drain work like sinks, showers, tubs, laundry. basically gives you the same capacity as a k-39.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with Rick, the K-400 would be a good choice for the situation you described. I have attached the link, please feel free to check it out on RIDGID.com. It comes standard with 75' of cable and an integrated transport cart. Starting August 1st through December 31st, if you purchase a K-400 you receive a mail in offer for a FREE Autofeed attachment. Which is a $140 value and well worth it.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/K400-Dra...e/EN/index.htm

Thanks
            Renee
            Renee

Product Manager

RIDGID Drain Cleaning

Comment

Let's see. You want to buy a good sewer machine for less than $1000. Hmmm, mine costs $2700, so I think you should call a pro instead. Buying a sewer machine for ONE house is a waste of money. You'd have to call a pro a dozen times or more before you spent enough to justify buying your own machine.

Just call a pro and save your money.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Thanks for the advice and heads up on the k400 Renee. I like the k400 and it's around the price I would like to spend and can justify buying instead of renting. But just a little worried about buying another lower line ridgid drain cleaner, like the 160 I spent on the auto spin which only works decent at best and have it not clean out my drain and I still end up renting a better cleaner or call a plumber and the k400 just sits in the garage. After doing more reading and seeing how poor the auto spin is and how another 150 bucks would have got me a K39 that everyone seems to like and say works good. Just don't want to make that mistake again and wish I would have spent a little more and got something that is going to work better. Rick stated that the k400 is only good for 1-3 or maybe 4 inch lines and only for soft blockages, which I believe mine was but don't know for sure. And I believe my lines are 4 inches or myabe 3 but I don't think I would ever need anything for bigger than 4". Sorry for rambling on but just trying to gather as much info as possible so I don't spend 500 bucks on something that won't work and trying to find the best machine without spending a fortune. Guess I either buy the k400 and hope I never have to clean out roots or pony up the money and buy a machine that I know will handle whatever the problem is. Thanks for your advice on this!

Comment

Just call a pro. After you spent a grand on the machine and ruin the cable and have to replace it. Your out another $300 bucks. Or broken fingers and a doctors bill. A good machine for $1000.00 Mine was $4000
                  My sink machine cost almost a grand
                  Please don't hurt yourself Call a pro.
                  Plumber Rick is rite the K-400 is good on smaller lines I would only use it on 2 inch drain lines anthing thing else you risk flipping and rapping up in the pipe.
                  Last edited by UnClogNH; 07-07-2009, 01:04 PM.
                  Rod
                  MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                  Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                  http://unclognh.com
                  http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Service guy, I might end up calling a pro but I'm trying to weigh all my options. I don't like renting things cause I believe it's a waste of money most of the time. I don't mind calling a pro and paying but if this is something that is going to happen every once in a while and have to keep paying a plumber, in my opinion I would be better off buying a decent unit and doing it myself. I'm not a pro but I have rented before and had good results so I have some experience. Just trying to get opinions on different machines and decide what my best route will be. I like your avaiter. Thanks, Scott

Comment

Don't use a 1/2 inch cable in your sewer. If its under 50 feet you can use 5/8. Any thing over 50 feet 3/4 and larger only.
                      Rod
                      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                      http://unclognh.com
                      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

k750 at a bare minimum.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          k750 at a bare minimum.
                          I have two K750's they are a great machine but again be real careful when using a cable machine period.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm glad I didn't get the k400 and find out it won't work in my drains. Don't need another auto spin waste of money!! Guess I'll see how the drains do for now since I have them unclogged and it's the first time it's happened and if it happens again I'll deal with it at that time.

Comment

Working...
                            X