X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet flange knockout clog

First off, I got to use my microDrain today. Great job Ridgid! The thing worked exactly the way it should, and really saved me a lot of time and effort today. My customers were very impressed. It needs to be said again, great job Ridgid!

Ok, now that that's out of the way.

I found with my camera that a reoccurring toilet clog is happening because when the original plumber knocked the plug out of the toilet flange, it fell down the pipe. Not a huge deal, but it managed to make it through three 90 degree fittings before finally getting lodged in the 3" pipe. How it made it that far without getting stuck sooner I don't know. I am not certain of the best way to approach this.

Has anyone had any luck breaking up an ABS knockout with something like a K-60 before? The place where it is lodged right now it only affects one toilet. If I don't break it up and it moves farther down the line, it will cause all three toilets to clog up. With three changes of direction, I don't see any way to pull it back out of the line.

I am going to advise the customer to let me open the concrete floor and just take it out like that, unless someone on here has a better idea that I am not thinking of at the moment.

Re: Toilet flange knockout clog

ive had a couple in the past that were "luckily?" a crawl . so i just cut them out. im not sure if you can break that up or not good luck
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

I did one one time where i was able to take my camera andpush it into the city main, I would push with my camera until it got stuck then i would have to pull out the camera and run a cable down the lateral to get it unstuck the back to pushing it with the camera, Back and forth until finally it fell into the lateral, took around 2-3 hours but the home owner sure was happy, the were ready to have some guy dig up their yard to get it out.

Comment

Used to get these pretty regularly. I got pretty good at it. You can try a spring retriever but it likely won't be able to hold it coming back back through those three 90's. Most likely you'll have to push it into the city line or whatever you're working with. Not that big a deal especially with something as light as an ABS plug. The key is using an attachment that wont slip past it. Need to be continually moving it forward, otherwise you'll be flip-flopping it around and never get anywhere.

The other day a customer knocked the brass raised head from the 4" plug down into the cleanout. He was in a panic as three other plumbing companies fumbled and failed to solve it. I used a 4" 3 bladed cutter to move it downstream. Ran the camera head behind the cable to monitor the progress. 20 mins. later I had it pushed out of his line while at the same cleaning it. I got a cool $100 tip for it.

Comment

what if you put a 4" blade on the end of your cable backwards so it acts as a barb run it past the knockout then get a camera in there and see if you can pull it out that way, I got a rv sewer dump hose out of a lateral that way one time.

Comment

If it already made past 3 90's, I'm willing to bet it'll be a piece of cake to push the rest of the way assuming there's nothing goofy or out of the norm downstrean

Comment

Working...
            X