X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting roots with a jetter

Got a call today for a clogged sewer lateral, sewer backed up on the floor, ran a snake down it and unclogged it and pulled back a few roots, so the homeowner had me camera the line, it was cement pipe and approx 45 feet long and had roots in every joint, so I told the home owner i had a special Nozzle (Root rat) i could put on my jetter that would cout out the roots, after jetting i re camered and there were still a few roots at the joints so i ran my camera and theroot rat nozzle at the same time so i could tell exactly where the roots where, after working the joints that had root intrusions with the root rat it cut the majority of the roots but still left a few dangling roots, is this common or is there better nozzles for cutting roots or is my jetter not powerful enough to run a root rat ? My jetter is just a cart jetter 4.5 gpm at 3700 PSI,

Re: Cutting roots with a jetter

What you have is fine it just takes more time with that set up. And even if you got the roots all the way gone (from site they are still in the openings at the joints) they are still coming back, use rootx on the fine job you have done and call it good for a year maybe 2 if the homeowner gets lucky. Again you did well most don't use a camera to check there work they just jet and call it good. You just need to adjust your price to the amount of hours it will take on the next job.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

ive ordered a larger jetter (its being built as i write this) 8.5gpm @3600 psi
      with a wart hog nozzle, will this do a better job on the first pass throught the pipe or will i still be leaving a few roots in the pipe ?

Comment

Well this is how I do it, I snake to get the line to flow, I jet all the way down the line slow, I come all the way back slow again, then I send my camera out and hit all the spots that need it. Then I use a flusher nozzle if needed for lots of build up. With higher GPM and PSI you will spend less time doing the job and actually be more effective on the spots.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

the root rat uses either a chain or cables to cut the roots. the wart hog is strictly water. the water does the cutting and flushing.

i prefer to camera the line and determine the problem areas and mark my footage. knowing the footage, i can concentrate my warthog on these problem areas and do a great job faster than wasting time on clean pipe.

of course i'll camera when i'm done to see the results or fix them.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
            ive ordered a larger jetter (its being built as i write this) 8.5gpm @3600 psi
            with a wart hog nozzle, will this do a better job on the first pass throught the pipe or will i still be leaving a few roots in the pipe ?
            Hi Rhino could you give me more detail on your jetter thats being built?
            Just pm if you could because ive got a contact in Western Australia that can organise cheap freight for me from the US. I know i can build my own a lot cheaper than they charge here. ( no offence to the jetter manufacturers in Australia) Thanks oz

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
              Got a call today for a clogged sewer lateral, sewer backed up on the floor, ran a snake down it and unclogged it and pulled back a few roots, so the homeowner had me camera the line, it was cement pipe and approx 45 feet long and had roots in every joint, so I told the home owner i had a special Nozzle (Root rat) i could put on my jetter that would cout out the roots, after jetting i re camered and there were still a few roots at the joints so i ran my camera and theroot rat nozzle at the same time so i could tell exactly where the roots where, after working the joints that had root intrusions with the root rat it cut the majority of the roots but still left a few dangling roots, is this common or is there better nozzles for cutting roots or is my jetter not powerful enough to run a root rat ? My jetter is just a cart jetter 4.5 gpm at 3700 PSI,
              Mate, get yourself a Root Ranger nozzle. If you just clear 4" and 6" drains get a 5.5gpm, 5000psi jetter. The extra pressure makes all the difference! That's all we use down under. We have a 4018-300 US Jetter and a Harben that gets used monthly. The smaller jetters are used daily and they are quick and easy to use.
              Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
              X