X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain/ Flail root cutters ?

Has anyone had problems running this style of root cutter through a pipe without centering skids ? Every time I try it seems as though the chains bind up in the pipe and the head does not spin

Re: Chain/ Flail root cutters ?

i use water to do the cutting.

using water to spin a hydraulic cutter doesn't make sense.

the water cuts better than a blade can. it will cut completely flush to the pipe and a blade can't.

try a warthog or a root ranger.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

We use the jet or the saw type cutter on a sectional cable. I chose to stay away from the chain type root cutter. Since the chain style pulls and rips the roots instead of cutting, we stayed away from it for fear of causing more damage to an already compromised pipe. It sounds to me like you are not getting the proper rpm's or the roots are to large for the chain type.

Comment

without centering skids the chain will drag at the bottom of the pipe and bind. can you not fit the centering skids on the cutter?

how about more flexible cable whips instead of chain?

why not a warthog or root ranger?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Yep I vote Root ranger great root killer and flies down the pipe like a jet it even sounds like a jet.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Just ordered a 3/8 warthog a week ago,and a new jetter to power it, my cart jetter 4.5 gpm @37o is too small, so i ordered a 9gpm @ 3600 should be built on wednesday, Thanks for the great info, ive learnt so much from this site.

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
              Just ordered a 3/8 warthog a week ago,and a new jetter to power it, my cart jetter 4.5 gpm @37o is too small, so i ordered a 9gpm @ 3600 should be built on wednesday, Thanks for the great info, ive learnt so much from this site.
              did you go with a tank to help suppliment the 9gpm?

is the 4.5 an 18hp and the 9 is a 24hp?

you'll have much more success with the 9gpm.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I am starting to change a little on GPM vs. High Pressure. I think there is a point of diminishing return on high volume which is good to flow things away, but high pressure does cut things, so after say 8 GPM I think a higher pressure say 4000 is better. So High pressure and a higher GPM seems best.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I DID GO WITH A TANK ON THE 9 GPM UNIT,I BELEIVE IT COMES WITH A 300 GALLON TANK AND THE ENGINE IS A 35 HP BRIGGS AND STRATTON VANGAURD V TWIN my 4.5 gpm unit is powered by a 13 hp honda

Comment

Working...
                  X