Newly design sectional cable carrier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly design sectional cable carrier

This is my new cart for the 1 1/4 sectional cable. Each length of my cable is 8'. This isn't quite done yet and I'll post completed pics also. This took me about an hour to complete as is.

Couple reasons why I built this. The open air design allows the cables to dry off and this allows me to spray wd40 on the whole cables much easier than if the cable were in motorcycle tires. The cart also allows me to carry more cable. The arrangement as is, is 88' of cable with the 5/8 IC. I could easily carry this, dewalt and extension cord in one trip.

Another reason is this allows all the cables to be uncoupled without tangling. A tire or cart couldn't do this. If you decide to make your own, you can use rivets as I did but I think welding would be better. The cart came from Harbor Freight-$50, Steel stock,garden hose reel and rivets came from Home Depot-$20
    Attached Files
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Newly design sectional cable carrier

ben, that's a neat simple design. i knew coming out to the west would get your creative juices flowing

are you able to lift all 88' with cart on and off your truck as 1 unit?

now you need to add some little box to hold your cutters , a cord and the wolf

i guess the yellow matches the timberwolf

what no drum

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

This is the plan for tomorrow. I'm putting a wheel on the handle so the back of the cart will go against my truck and I pick up the bottom and slide the whole thing in. Same thing as spartan or general concept.

I'm also going to extend the "ears" of the hose reel so nothing can slide off. Also on the agenda is drilling some hole to place bungee cords.

I thought of adding the box but decide against it. If my cables get really nasty, I can just wash them in the cart. Wouldn't want to do that with the box there.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ben
        Good to see you are putting your time to good use.
        Like design but what sort of cable have you got on it it looks like a k1500 cable with cable inside it.(Excuse my ignorance)
        Thanks
        Greg

Comment

Ben
          Looks good, it will be nice to bring more than two or three cables in at a time. That will also be great to get down the tight basement stair cases.

Comment

Excellent simple design mate. Good work ive been trying to think of an easier/quicker less back breaking way to get my stuff onto a job and this looks like it. Affordable too.
            Great work thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Plumber Greg View Post
              Ben
              Good to see you are putting your time to good use.
              Like design but what sort of cable have you got on it it looks like a k1500 cable with cable inside it.(Excuse my ignorance)
              Thanks
              Greg
              It's a 8' sectional cable. We use a right angle drill to turn the cable.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, your carrier looks great, actually really creative, I have a drum that wraps up my 75 of cable.....fits in smaller places, will yours not fit inthis carrier because it is inner core? it is inner core correct? how do you like inner core? heavier?
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Looks good Ben.

Maybe some type of enclosure on the bottom half as those cables hold alot of water and will drip all over when moving it back to the truck.
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    ben, your carrier looks great, actually really creative, I have a drum that wraps up my 75 of cable.....fits in smaller places, will yours not fit inthis carrier because it is inner core? it is inner core correct? how do you like inner core? heavier?
                    This 1 1/4 cable. I'm guessing but I think 1 length of this is as heavy as 2 lengths of 7/8 cable. I haven't needed this cable yet as my 7/8 IC and k60 can handle most everything. I got this cable for the snafu moments.

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    Looks good Ben.

Maybe some type of enclosure on the bottom half as those cables hold alot of water and will drip all over when moving it back to the truck.
                    great idea. What about a simple plastic pan that would be removeable? Even better and cheaper; what about a 5 gallon plastic bucketattached to the bottom instead of the cage? To drain the water, have some holes in the front of the bucket. When you transport it, the holes will be on top so water won't come out of there.
                    Last edited by gear junkie; 07-13-2009, 10:15 AM. Reason: brain works faster than fingers
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Are you able to get that down the stairs? I ask that caz the cables stick out a bit

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                        Are you able to get that down the stairs? I ask that caz the cables stick out a bit
                        So does Gear Junkie.

Nice cart.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                          It's 24" across at the widest point.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

So here's the final product. The "ears"extend so the cable doesn't fall off and I added the back wheel. The wheel is to help load and unload the cart from my truck. I decided against Rick's idea of an attached box. KISS was the goal here and the general toolbox seems to be in a good spot.

I was kinda lazy and meant to add bungee cords but after unloading/loading the cart in my truck, I saw the cables didn't move even with no bungee cord. I also decided to use bolts instead of rivets for strength. Total price to make this was around $80.
                            Attached Files
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

That is very nice Ben.
                              You gonna get a few shorties to help keep the flop factor down.

Comment

Working...
                              X