No announcement yet.

Looking to buy a used Ridgid k-7500...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a used Ridgid k-7500...

Greetings to all,

I'm hoping to gain some advice and suggestions from this forum as I'm looking to purchase a used Ridgid K-7500. I found one used for about $950.00 USD, which seems to be a very good deal even if it needs a bit of work.

Questions:

1. What should I look out for ?
    2. What are some of the common/problematic things with this model ?
    3. Where might I take it to have it inspected and/or gone through ?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you're able to provide me.

Re: Looking to buy a used Ridgid k-7500...

What condition,type and length is the cable.
    How does the motor sound.
    Check the auto-feed

Comment

I've not actually seen it in person yet, only from a few photo's he sent me. The seller doesn't seem to know much about it, like the cable diameter and length... he claims it has little use but from what I can see from the photo's it has some use (see below).

He took it in trade for some work he did thinking he wanted to get into plumbing... so he says...

I'm unfamiliar with this model and wanted to get some information, before I drive all the way to where the seller's located, so I'm more educated and know what to look for.
      Last edited by leChameleon; 07-19-2009, 01:49 PM.

Comment

If the cable shown here is any indication of the type of care has been given towards this equipment I would beware.

By the time you spend a few hundred on a cable and cutters you may not be getting such a great deal.

I bought mine used with 100' of 11/16 Georlitz cable(thank you Rick for helping me identify) and no cutters for $1300.I probably could have gotten him down another hundred but my I wasn't into it,besides I had another hour and a half to drive home.

It's cosmetic appearance was about the same as the one you looking at.I tore it down,repainted and relubed.Good as new,ready to impress(when I get some blades).

Comment

That's an awefully heavy machine.You gonna be using it on a wharehouse floor or something

Comment

The main reason I'm getting this is the City is not clearing out their sewer lines which is causing things to back up onto my property. The City installed a new sewer line about 8 years ago and it was done poorly. There are tree roots and all sorts of things growing in there. I've attempted them to get them to come out and fix it but with the State cut backs they won't unless its fully blocked.

I need something to reach from my property and then some to clear out what I can. I've seen them pull out 1-inch roots before using other large machines.

Its not the machine size that's leading me toward this model its the cost, this one seems to be OK for the total price including the cable and other parts. The K-750 and others seem to be in the same price range as well.

I can either buy my own machine or keep paying a plumber $400 per visit to clear the lines. I figure it's about time to do it myself.

Comment

i take it you're not a plumber.

owning a snake and knowing how to properly and safely use it are a whole lot more.

i would suggest another phone call to your local city and see why they don't respond. also a call to the health dept. should get them going.

are you sure the problem is in their main and their responsibility?

really sounds more like politics than a need for a top of the line machine that can put you in the hospital that is also underfunded.

do you need me to call arnold for you

i will if need be

document all phone calls that you make and i'll get on it.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

If you decide to buy that thing, be careful. That machine has the potential to kick your a$$ and it won't be pretty.

Good luck.

Comment

Correct I'm not a plumber by trade although I've done a fair share of plumbing work from time to time.

It's purely politics and I'll see if the health department may get them to budge.

I've operated a few drain cleaning machines but not like this one. I've looked around for other used machines in my area but most cost over $1000 that I've found.

The job requires more than your basic machine as the City and other plumbers that have attempted to unroot the main always require a machine with at least a 3/4" cable since it gets caught up on the roots. I've watched them clean out the same area for about 8 years now and it's always the same. There is usually around 2 full size trash cans full of crap that needs to be rooted out.

I feel I'm able to handle this machine, without injury. Thank you for your consideration and looking out for a non-professional.

Other than the general things to look for is there any other things to check that one not familiar with this machine might need to know?

Any call's to Arnold to help any area to get the State back on track is greatly appreciated. I shake my head in disbelief how it got this bad every day.

Comment

Perhaps someone might suggest other web sites where one can look for used equipment that I've not found yet. I'm willing to look for other models... again this one was one of the cheaper one's I found lately. I just need to be sure it will handle the task.

Comment

What size is "Their sewer"?
                      is it only your lateral?
                      Are your neighbors being affected?
                      I would hope your munincipality would respond to a group complaint.

The 7500 is rated to 10"

Rick is correct about the Beast being capable of putting someone in the hospital.
                      Mine gets up to full speed and it gets my full attention.

Comment

You might consider a ridgid K-60, because it will handle the job being talked about and you can use it for smaller drains as well as the years go on. there is one for sale on the new mexico craigslist right now. Or pay someone to jet,camera and rootx that line to really clean it out.
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          What size is "Their sewer"?
                          is it only your lateral?
                          Are your neighbors being affected?
                          I would hope your munincipality would respond to a group complaint.

The 7500 is rated to 10"

Rick is correct about the Beast being capable of putting someone in the hospital.
                          Mine gets up to full speed and it gets my full attention.

how far away is the stoppage and what size pipe are you entering in from.

knowing the size pipe, size cleanout and total distance is what makes for a simple job. not knowing what your up against makes for a long day or hospital stay.

a 1.25'' sectional machine might be the call if this is a large nasty line.

need more info on the line to know for sure.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I would also suggest you get it camered, so you can tell if it is really in the city sewer, how much cable you need and the location of the blockage. Check E-bay under sewer-drain a lot of equipment will show up. I would think the electric eel sectional machine would be a good fit. You can find them for $700.- with some cable. David

Comment

Working...
                            X