Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/16 or 3/8?

which cable do you use with your K-39?

in the past 2 months i've trashed 2 of the 5/16 bulb cables. one on a hole in a CI shower drain just past the trap and the other with what appears to be masonry slurry on a tub trap.

currently i've got an older 5/16 bulb cable that i'm not overly confident with as this cable was exposed to heavy acid in a shower drain.

the 3/8 would be stronger but will it be nimble enough to negotiate a 1.25 trap/drain with teh usual twists and turns?

would IC be better than regular open wound?

i need to order some cables and am looking for opinions

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Re: 5/16 or 3/8?

Ridgid's 3/8" IC cable I find to be a bit too thick and stiff. I wish they had a size between 5/16" and 3/8" because to me the size difference is way bigger than a 1/16"! The 3/8 looks a lot bigger than the 5/16 for some reason.

I use the 3/8 in my k-400s for kitchen drains and other drains 2" or 1.5", and the 5/16 in my k-39 for smaller drains like tubs and lavatory drains.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

k-38 here. i know it's to big. i like 5/16" x 50' general cable. i know it's to heavy. hecs cutter set. i primarily use the arrow head starting drill. lynn uses a bulb setup. i get all the malleable and c i pipes. at least the first time, because he can't open them up. breid

Comment

The 3/8" does look way bigger than the 5/16" to me also

I'm happy with the 5/16" innercore. I prefer the stiffer cable. The 3/8" tends to kink up on me and I end up just throwing it out after 4 or 5 uses.

Comment

I agree with Bill but I prefer the ridgid speedbump cable.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

the k-39 is a hand held machine and should be used as a hand held machine. 3/8'' gets heavy and you're using the machine up to it's power limit.

running 3/8'' is approved for it, but if you have another drum or sectional machine, i would use that.

i have absolutely no problem getting 5/8'' sectional cable through a 2'' trap of either plastic or cast iron.

i would stick to 5/16'' for the k-39 and step up to another machine for the 3/8''. either a 400 drum or a k-50 sectional with drum adapter or 5/8'' open wind sectional

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              the k-39 is a hand held machine and should be used as a hand held machine. 3/8'' gets heavy and you're using the machine up to it's power limit.

running 3/8'' is approved for it, but if you have another drum or sectional machine, i would use that.

i have absolutely no problem getting 5/8'' sectional cable through a 2'' trap of either plastic or cast iron.

i would stick to 5/16'' for the k-39 and step up to another machine for the 3/8''. either a 400 drum or a k-50 sectional with drum adapter or 5/8'' open wind sectional

rick.
              No I have to disagree when inside clearing a kitchen sink or vanity basin I put my K39 in a cradle I made up so I can have my left hand free to guide the cable through the trap and as it rotates at 450rpm it clears the drain and makes it a lot easyer than holding it with both hands.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                No I have to disagree when inside clearing a kitchen sink or vanity basin I put my K39 in a cradle I made up so I can have my left hand free to guide the cable through the trap and as it rotates at 450rpm it clears the drain and makes it a lot easyer than holding it with both hands.

Tony

tony, you're correct i too rest my k39 on the sink edge with a sponge once i get past the trap. this also allows me to press the auto feed easy.

but if you're holding the k-39 full time as it was designed to, the 3/8'' will be a lot heavier than the 5/16''.

you basically made a k-40 without the front hose out of your k39

hey how do you get around the reverse vortex swirl of your sinks down under

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

i didn't think about the weight difference. after all it's only 1/16" larger

i'll be ordering the 5/16 IC next

thanks

steve
                  In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X