X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Trailer Jetter

We have started on the design of a totally new trailer jetter and would appreciate your feedback as we are new to large jetters for domestic work.

We are targeting plumbers in Australia who have used 5000psi 5.5gpm portable jetters that want to be able to clear bigger drains but don't want to pay for the large diesel jetters.

We have determined that by coupling 2 petrol x 31HP 8gpm 4300psi pump motor groups we achieve 16gpm at 4300psi through a 1/2" hose, more then enough power to run a large root cutter, or with a single engine running you can clear all general smaller drains through a 3/8", 1/4" and 3/16" hose.

Water tank 300 Gal
    2 x electric reels - 150m 1/2" Jet Hose - 150m 3/4" Garden Feed Hose
    2 way remote control for engine and reel control
    2 work lights
    saftey strobe light
    trundle draw for shovels/brooms
    tool box for camera and hand tools
    Remote Mini Reel

What other equipment would you recommend...
    1/2" hose and 3/8" hose? Or just 1/2"...
    Accessories?..

Below is a picture of an early, very basic prototype we tested....
    Attached Files
    Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
    Albert Einstein

Re: New Trailer Jetter

bill, are you trying to force me to divert to australia in november on my way back from n.z.

i do like the idea of the twin engine as it's been out here for awhile on ebay.

can you properly sync the 2 engines to produce equivalent power so they don't fight each other?

a put a 1/2'' x 50' spring loaded return reel on the front of mine to run both spray guns and local foot pedals. also great for hydro boring operations.

i also designed and installed a remote 4 channel control to operate my water flow. i can click a wireless transmitter and open and close the high pressure water flow. very important when working by yourself at any distance from the machine.

of course breaks for the trailer are a must. and a back up camera would be nice too.

variable flow for smaller lines while still maintaining pressure is pretty simple. remote pulsation is nice for tight turns too.

i'm also playing with a remote hose puller when i can't muscle 400' of 1/2'' hose downstream with bends.

what are you doing the week before our thanksgiving

i'm not much of a turkey fan

joey always wanted to go down under

always fun to talk shop

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

a couple more thoughts

150 meter x 3/4'' tank fill is a lot of hose to suck water through. i have 150' and that's typically plenty out here

another idea is a large 2''/ 50mm or larger tank drain with a quick connect so we can flush out lines with our tank when we need to dump lots of water.

right now i have a 1.25'' drain and i wish i had a larger faster drain for flushing lines when i finish my tank is also 300 gallons.

also nothing wrong if you have the room for a gas transfer pump. use the water tank to help with flushing large volumes of water. a 1.5''or 2'' gas pump with hose to flush out lines is also a good call.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

It looks like a beauty, I'm jealous. (I still haven't purchased a jetter yet.)
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Thanks for your ideas Rick!

I like the idea of high volume dump. You could even fit a 3" valve and a short flexible hose so you can direct the water into the drain you have just cleared to test it.

The pressure equalises using the unloader valve as a non return valve.

Do you find the powered flow isolation valves reliable?

I will reduce the 3/4" feed hose to 100m...it can be the difference of filling up in position or not!

Pulsation/foot pedal/etc will be added to the final build.

You're welcome to visit anytime...I have no life, 4 kids and a wife with a never ending list of chores!
          Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Don't own a jetter but here's my thought. Right above the tires, next to the tank, put a flat piece of sheetmetal so plumbers can put their company logo right there.

Another crazy idea. They make a garden hose reel that automatically rewinds by water. Eesentially a valve diverts some of the water through the reel and that's how it winds itself. Why can't the same thing be done for a jetter hose reel?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The finished project will have an aluminium outer housing that can be easily removed and doubles as a moving signboard. We want to enslose the motors and fit twin thermofans to the front with GT vents on the side to expel the hot air. We are aiming for a trailer that not only works for 90% of a plumbers application but looks the part too!

I will look into the water powered reels, the electric reels are expensive.
              Thanks,

Bill.
              Regards, Bill

Albert Einstein

Comment

I think you have to make the reels, I've never seen anything like that on the market yet.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

pretty simple, but not cheap design would to use the water as a hydraulic fluid to power hydraulic motors to wind the hoses.

honestly for the garden hose reel, i wouldn't waste my time as the hose is not a fight to get back in.

it's the main hose pressure reel that's the issue.

you need a non corrosive hydraulic motor to wind the hose up if you want to use tank water. meaning it's got to be $tainle$$ or aluminum 7075.

the cost of a custom hydraulic motor is far more expensive than an oil powered hydraulic motor.

still cheaper to use 12 volt. but hydraulic is stronger and doesn't drain a battery.

ben, remember that unlike the military, this comes out of our own pocket. not the pockets of all
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Oh, so that's how it works in the real world.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Just spoke with the electric reel manufacturers and they said they have a high powered motor they can supply used for dragging heavy industrial hoses .

Still can't find a ball valve that lasts longer than 6 months as they are all designed to be used with oil, even stainless ball valves don't last! We use an extended cast stainless handle we make ourselves giving the operator more leverage without the chance of the standard handle breaking when the valve gets really tight.
                      Regards, Bill

Albert Einstein

Comment

another issue with the twin motors is that the design in cali. that was on ebay changed to included a electric pump from the holding tank I can only think that the gravity didn't equal out and 1 pump starved causing failure. I have never been a jetter manufacture but I did see the cali company change the design and it must have been for some reason. And electric help motors fail as a rule so look into that as well.
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

During our tests we found certain pumps draw enough water by themselves while others need more than just gravity to make them run. It is also crutial to ensure the inlet and the dump lines to the tank are not above the outlet or they will create air bubbles that can draw into the pump and cause cavitation.

We intend using dual outlets with scavange pumps. Tests have shown that a pump with water force fed at the inlet performs much better than gravity fed pumps.

Thanks for your input!
                          Regards, Bill

Albert Einstein

Comment

How about hose reels that turn 180% side to side. We have them on our trailer, its nice to turn the reel to the side to come straight off when you are working to the side. If you don't have swiveling reels make sure you have a good 4 roller guide. Top, bottom and each side roller.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
                              How about hose reels that turn 180% side to side. We have them on our trailer, its nice to turn the reel to the side to come straight off when you are working to the side. If you don't have swiveling reels make sure you have a good 4 roller guide. Top, bottom and each side roller.
                              those are great when you have cleaouts/ manholes directly over the jetters path.

i rarely get a c/o that's somewhere i can drive to.

what i do use is a remote 4 roller guide that telescopes from the bottom of the trailer. this allows me to pull the hose off the reel in almost any direction and not hang up.

i'll post a photo in the next couple days when i get back to the shop.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X