Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie Plumbers?

Just a question.
    Not trying to start up on the drum/sectional bs but who out of you plumbers in Aus use drums/sectionals and why?
    I use a sectional rothenberger at the moment and like it but would consider a drum after reading this forum.
    Any help or experience shared would be good
    Thanks Oz

Re: Aussie Plumbers?

I wouldn`t recommend using any sort of cable at all. You`ve got a jetter. There is NO drain I can`t clear when using a jetter. Jetters are better in every aspect of drain cleaning. I left the cables at the tip 15 years ago and havent looked back for them ever.

Comment

I did my time on a continual feed eel and it tried to take my hand off many times not to mention it was HEAVY! The k1500b was lighter and easier to use but on a mini reel I can carry double the length of 2 eel cable carriers and have the job done in half the time.

Put simply, the Jetter is Better!
      Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
      Albert Einstein

Comment

yeah yeahi know you guys love the jetters and i have a smaller one but just thought about adding a drum machine to the truck cause im sick of the sore back the sectional machine gives me.
        Im toying with building a bigger one at the moment and have looked around enough to make a start soonish.
        I am thinking 35lpm at 3500/4000 psi with a 31hp briggs and stratton and a small header tank (maybe 100 to 200 litres?)
        My little jetter is great and wont sell it but it just doesnt cut it on roots.
        Ill keep bustin the back till i get the jetter built then hopefully do it a bit easier.
        You think its the right combo?
        Thanks for your info and advice on this forum ive learned a lot
        cheers

Comment

Im only looking at "building" a bigger one cause ive got a 3/8 and 1/4 reel ( with the ridgid ) already and can source a cheap v twin.
          thanks again
          oz

Comment

I remember seeing Ridgid's drum machine with a plastic drum making it lighter, when I visited their training school in Ohio. Might be a good place to start?

Depending on what size vehicle you are using a 100L water tank with inlet float valve and dump tap is fine. Remember to position the outlet from the tank away from the inlet valve and the unloader valve bypass hose or they will create cavitation in your pump by sucking up the air bubbles produced for the water splashing into the tank. A low water engine cut-out is also recommend.
            The hoses you have now will run fine with your new pump motor group. You just need some basic penetrating heads and a 1/4" or 1/2" Root Ranger nozzle and you're away. A remote mini reel will make the job easier too.
            A customer came into the shop today to replace his mini reel after it was stolen from the back of his ute. We estimate one 'mini reel' a week is lifted from the back of utes where they are not chained and locked.

Have you tried a Root Ranger on your small water jetter? We can kit them to suit any flow and pressure.
            Last edited by bill2601; 07-28-2009, 07:48 AM.
            Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for the advice on the supply tank bill.
              Do you guys use the jet in place of your cable machine all the time? Therefore charge the same but are out of there quicker and make your money that way?
              Just find it a bit hard to sell a jetter on the phone when all they want is a quick price and dont want to hear the pros and cons of each.
              Doesnt seem to make much sense to put $12 per metre and up to $1300 ( warthog) in a drain for $140 when you can do it a bit harder and risk around $350/$500 all up on a sectional.
              If different let me know but i think more and more are doing it the jet way with fixed price and if thats the trend i might pull the idea all together.
              Thanks again for your help
              oz

Comment

I also did my time using the ridgid 1500, and i got a very sore back .Have now bought a jetter of bill and will continue to use it for a number of reasons.Longer runs,quicker,no more sore back .And you can do a lot of other things , pressure cleaning etc..

cheers
                steve

Comment

Originally posted by ozplumb View Post
                  Do you guys use the jet in place of your cable machine all the time? Therefore charge the same but are out of there quicker and make your money that way?
                  Just find it a bit hard to sell a jetter on the phone when all they want is a quick price and dont want to hear the pros and cons of each.
                  Doesnt seem to make much sense to put $12 per metre and up to $1300 ( warthog) in a drain for $140 when you can do it a bit harder and risk around $350/$500 all up on a sectional.
                  If different let me know but i think more and more are doing it the jet way with fixed price and if thats the trend i might pull the idea all together.
                  Thanks again for your help
                  oz
                  We put our eel price up to $270 + GST and our jet price is $300 + GST so it's simple for the client. The line is basically "for $30 more we can give you a 90 day guarantee and the jet will do a more thorough job then the eel!" People understand that $33 and a 90 day guarantee is piece of mind. If you eel prices are only $220 + GST then most people won't pay the difference no matter how good a salesman you are.

Our price breakdown is $60 Service call and $120/half hour + GST, minimum 1st hour. If the customer is adament that we are too dear we say that if we can clear it and be packed up within the first 30 minutes we'll only charge you for the first half hour plus service call. That makes them happier until the job takes 2 hours!!

Some guys charge a flat fee of $660 to clear a blockage. Risky both ways.

I believe that a jetter is more thorough and is worth more if the operator is diligent....but, you must put 15% aside from each jetter or camera job to pay for future maintenance and equipment replacement costs. Jetters can 100 more things to go wrong with them than eels so don't excect trouble free jetting. If you look after your equipment it will look after you.

If we put a camera down the line after jetting ($198 + $330) we offer the customer a 200 day guarantee. 30% go for it.
                  We charge $55 to burn a DVD and $77 to use the Scout locater.
                  Regards, Bill

Albert Einstein

Comment

No I'm a K1500 plumber clearing sewers with one since 70's and haven`t looked back the drums are just to heavy to cart on and off the truck and around the clients property and with the seesnake I can actually see the problem and put the right cutter down the pipe I am clearing jetters are fine in some situations but I have found them to be messyer and need more maintance than cable machines

Tony

Comment

thanks for your advice fellas
                      I dont think its the same down here in melbourne because I started out charging around that price Bill and found less and less work coming my way.
                      Believe it or not my small town is rooted because of one man, a ute and a k1500 charging a whopping $60 for a blockage!
                      At my rates i can arrive at the job for that but cant lift a tool off the truck!!!
                      I know youll always get people unhappy with the price no matter what you charge but its getting more and more thats all.
                      I think ill stick it out and take my time building the jetter and ill show pics when im done.Thanks again guys
                      oz

Comment

Just picked up a good condition 1500 secondhand for $1200 with 7 attachments and 8 or so cables as a back up machine but think ill throw it on the truck soon and give it a go.
                        Looking forward to it.
                        I remember using them as an apprentice and were a good powerful machine.
                        thanks tony

Comment

Working...
                        X