Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got started. need some help with my gas jetter!

hi

I just bought a general 2900 gas jetter. It's my first time I ever use such a machine since I'm new to the drain cleaning business. Last week I custom cleared all the DC equipment I bought from abroad and now im preparing to getting started in this field!

I also got my first job call already! Well actually, it was rather a personal request from the concierge to clear a corridor drain that got clogged in the center in which i rented a shop to store all my machines and tools.

a small pit in the middle of the corridor connected from one side to a water chamber 2 meters away through a 2.5" drain and the other side to one of the shops which then goes straight to the manhole outside. Plus a vent on the 2nd floor's patio. I cleared them both without trouble well almost so because I spent an hour of worthless going back and forth with the 5/8" cable and the straight cutter and with no result until i finally got delighted and decided to try the funnel auger already my preferred auger!

I got amazed of all what got caught in it. Pepsi cans, palstic bags, hair, electric wires, stiffened paint etc.. When i showed it to the concierge, he was like "Yeah, what did you expect to pull out of it? Gold and silver?"

Anyhow, i'm glad and proud i did my first job succesfully!

okay, back to my original question and the purpose of this thread. Does anyone of you guys own a general J2900 gas jetter or one that is similar?

I would be glad if you can give me some tips on startup and operational implementations. I read the manual and was able to get the thing started but wasn't sure if i was doing it the right way, plus i still don't know what the regulating pressure unloader really stands for and how to use it?

I'm thankful to all those who can help me in this regard,

Thanks
    Gary

Re: I just got started. need some help with my gas jetter!

the unloader on my pressure washer, dumps the excess water when the unit is up to pressure and water is not moving through it, (it works some differently than just a pressure relief valve, as most pressure relief valves continue to make the motor work and the fluid heats up do to the pressure on it, on a unloader it holds the pressure but then dumps the water with minimal load on the pump), thus the circulated water in the pump has a longer time to heat and to cause damage,

I know nothing about you model, I bought a hose and a foot vale for my power washer, to use as a jetter, and have used it a few times, the foot valve turns it on and off like a spray wand on a power washer, and the hose is similar to the hose on a power washer but slicker and more flexible and a little smaller in my situation,
    and the head is the working end, there are a number of heads some are static, just a block of metal that has drilled holes in it, normally there are rear holes to help pull it in the pipe, as it would be very hard to push the hose very far, there are rotating head that spin, (the cheap ones are just that, CHEAP) I was not impressed, as the rotation is so fast that the spray is more of a vapor than a jet,
    others have talked about other rotating heads, that slow the rotation down so the jets can work on the blockage, cutting roots and other,

I hope this helps,

more of a definition below from a pressure washer company,

The pressure cleaner's unloader valve functions as a safety device. Unloader valves control the direction of the flow of water exiting the pump. A positive displacement pump always delivers water, regardless of whether the spray gun is open or closed. When the spray gun is closed, the unloader valve redirects the flow of water back to the inlet side of the pump. This prevents the build up of dangerously high pressure and guards against the failure of component parts. Pressure cleaners are installed with either a Trapped Pressure Unloader or a Flow Actuated Unloader.

Spray guns start, stop, and direct the flow of water from the pressure washer’s nozzle. Squeezing the trigger releases pressure. Releasing the trigger interrupts the flow of water to the nozzle, although the pump continues to run. Without an outlet for releasing this water, pressure would continue to build. A very dangerous situation would result.
    The Unloader Valve

Unloader valves function as “traffic cops” and pressure regulator that direct the flow of water in a pressure cleaner system. When water stops flowing from the nozzle of a spray gun, the unloader valve redirects it for a safe pressure outlet. When the cleaner is in “bypass mode,” water that is not released by the spray gun is diverted back to the inlet side of the pressure pump. It then circulates through the pump and back to the inlet side of the unloader valve. Water is once again either released via the spray gun, or redirected to the pump. The process of continued re-cycling of water through the pump is called “cycling.”

“Trapped Pressure” unloader valves are the most commonly used. These valves sense and are activated by building pressure at the pump output. Trapped Pressure valves initiate bypass mode in direct response to building pressure in the hose between the pump output and the spray gun. They are often simply called “Pressure” valves. A spike of pressure results when cycling is interrupted and Trapped Pressure valves re-release water to the spray gun. Operators should be prepared for the “kickback” effect on the spray gun or wand to avoid loss of control or injury.
    “Flow Actuated” unloader valves respond to the interruption of water flow to the nozzle. These valves sense any decrease in flow from the valve to the spray gun and initiate the bypass loop in response. Unlike Trapped Pressure valves, no pressure is trapped, so no “kick back” occurs when water is re-released. With Flow Actuated unloader valves, operators cannot regulate pressure by downsizing the orifice size of nozzles. Flow Actuated valves detect the loss in flow, and react by cycling repeatedly.
    Although cycling prevents the dangerous buildup of pressure, added safety concerns arise during bypass mode. Moving parts in the pump create friction and heat which is transferred to the water flow in bypass. Cycling water can quickly be heated to dangerous temperatures as no cool water enters the pump during bypass.

Most pressure cleaner pumps can withstand temperatures of 140º F. At higher temperatures, damage to the pump can occur. Pump packings, plungers, seals, and even the short bypass hose in external bypass systems may be damaged. Thermal Relief Valves offer some protection against excessive heat buildup. They ensure cool water is released to the pump when temperatures exceed 145º F.

Operators are advised to always take care to prevent overheating regardless of the presence of Thermal Relief valves. Pumps should not be allowed to operate in bypass mode for more than 2 to 3 minutes. Squeezing the spray gun trigger always interrupts cycling and introduces new, cool water to the system.
    http://www.ultimatewasher.com/pressu...der-valves.htm
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      the unloader on my pressure washer, dumps the excess water when the unit is up to pressure and water is not moving through it, (it works some differently than just a pressure relief valve, as most pressure relief valves continue to make the motor work and the fluid heats up do to the pressure on it, on a unloader it holds the pressure but then dumps the water with minimal load on the pump), thus the circulated water in the pump has a longer time to heat and to cause damage,

I know nothing about you model, I bought a hose and a foot vale for my power washer, to use as a jetter, and have used it a few times, the foot valve turns it on and off like a spray wand on a power washer, and the hose is similar to the hose on a power washer but slicker and more flexible and a little smaller in my situation,
      and the head is the working end, there are a number of heads some are static, just a block of metal that has drilled holes in it, normally there are rear holes to help pull it in the pipe, as it would be very hard to push the hose very far, there are rotating head that spin, (the cheap ones are just that, CHEAP) I was not impressed, as the rotation is so fast that the spray is more of a vapor than a jet,
      others have talked about other rotating heads, that slow the rotation down so the jets can work on the blockage, cutting roots and other,

I hope this helps,

more of a definition below from a pressure washer company,
      hi

yes it helped. thanks for the info!

I first thought the regulating pressure unloader is used as its name indicates to regulate the pressure of the water leaving the pump such as to decrease or increase it according to what the job demands. but i wasn't sure of it as i found no indication on the regulator that pertains to pressure and I even found it difficult to manipulate the unloader knob.

whatsoever, if it is such as you described then i suppose i should better restrain from playing with it and move its position although i believe i already did so. now I event can't remember its original position anymore
      well, i hope its not that bad

So now that i know its not the unloader, where can i controle the jetters' pressure from? maybe the throttle lever?

Comment

Im far from an expert with jettersmate butif Ace was to chat about this im sure he couldhelp you out.

Comment

some unloaders have a black knob to adjust the output pressure. others have a fixed spring and are set to the output pressure as designed by the manufacturer.

i believe you have the black knob.

your machine was designed for 3000psi at 4gpm. at full rpm's.

drop the rpm and the psi and gpm will also drop. drop the rpm's too much and the engine will stall.

loosen/ counterclockwise to drop the outlet/ discharge pressure. you still will maintain the gpm as the engine will still be at the same rpms.

problem is dropping the psi too much below 3000 and you won't have the cleaning power at 4gpm. it's actually better to drop the rpm's a little to lower the gpm. watch your gauge and install a tachometer to monitor the rpm's. they make a nice one that also has an hour meter. battery operated and a simple hookup to the spark plug wire.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            some unloaders have a black knob to adjust the output pressure. others have a fixed spring and are set to the output pressure as designed by the manufacturer.

i believe you have the black knob.

your machine was designed for 3000psi at 4gpm. at full rpm's.

drop the rpm and the psi and gpm will also drop. drop the rpm's too much and the engine will stall.

loosen/ counterclockwise to drop the outlet/ discharge pressure. you still will maintain the gpm as the engine will still be at the same rpms.

problem is dropping the psi too much below 3000 and you won't have the cleaning power at 4gpm. it's actually better to drop the rpm's a little to lower the gpm. watch your gauge and install a tachometer to monitor the rpm's. they make a nice one that also has an hour meter. battery operated and a simple hookup to the spark plug wire.

rick.
            yes rick, youre quiete right my machine has the black knob for pressure outlet. I just dontk now at which level to set it and how to use it. should the pressure be regulated before turning the jetter on or does it make no difference? and what about the RPM throttle does it have to be set in conjuction with the psi unloader? thanks!

Comment

it's always better to loosen/ lower the pressure adjusting knob if the machine is going to sit for a long time. it allows the spring to relax and not stay under tension.

normally you have a pressure gage. start the motor with the water running and under no load. no nozzle to create pressure. let it warm up at a fast idle.

once warm, stop it and install your nozzle. some machines will start easy with the foot pedal not depressed, others will need the pedal depressed to relieve the pressure. just make sure your hose is in the pipe.

as the machine is running, let it come up to speed and depress the pedal to let the water flow. check your pressure gage and adjust your rpm as necessary to achieve the psi you need/ 3000# once up to that psi, increasing the rpm, will only increase the flow. but once you hit the desired pressure, your flow was maxed out due to nozzle size or hose length.

as long as the engine doesn't lug when put under load, you're fine. don't over rev the engine and you'll get longer life and less fuel wasted.

post some photos of your work. it would be interesting to see how other countries plumbing is constructed.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

oh yeah or rick

Comment

Working...
                X