Drain cleaning insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain cleaning insurance

I talked to an insurance company at the pumper show 2yrs ago, I have since forgot/lost their info.

They had a policy that specifically dealt with drain cleaning (among other things). My current policy is for Plumbing. Only problem is, I'm not a licensed Plumber. Thats always left me with an uneasy feeling. What if I have to make a claim and then they claim "sorry, can't help you. You have a Plumbers policy and your not a Plumber"?

I'm now shopping for a new policy as my current policy just doubled for no reason and I can't get them to back down to a reasonable price. No claims and a customer for three years and all of a sudden my rates double??????? F-OFF!!!!

I called around and got quotes for a new policy in line with my original rate, but again, they are policies for Plumbing. I'd like to get a policy that specifically address' drain cleaning.

Do any of you know of any companies that do that?

What do you other strictly Drain Cleaners carry for a policy?
    Last edited by Gene Bickford; 07-31-2009, 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling as usual
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Drain cleaning insurance

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
    I talked to an insurance company at the pumper show 2yrs ago, I have since forgot/lost their info.

They had a policy that specifically dealt with drain cleaning (among other things). My current policy is for Plumbing. Only problem is, I'm not a Plumber. Thats always left me with an uneasy feeling. What if I have to make a claim and then they claim "sorry, can't help you. You have a Plumbers policy and your not a Plumber"?

I'm now shopping for a new policy as my current policy just doubled for no reason and I can't get them to back down to a reasonable price. No claims and a customer for three years and all of a sudden my rates double??????? F-OFF!!!!

I called around and got quotes for a new policy in line with my original rate, but again, they are policies for Plumbing. I'd like to get a policy that specifically address' drain cleaning.

Before we got into plumbing (me getting a license) We where strictly a sewer and drain cleaning company. We even had the Chicago Sewer and Drain layers license for doing work in Cook County. But our policy always said plumbing contractor.

Our policy just doubled as well. What our insurance company does is has a look at our income every quarter, and if do more work they they estimated us to do for that quarter they raise the rates. There excuse is your doing more work so there is more of a chance of you having a claim. I always felt this unfair cause when we had bad quarters, they never lowered the rates.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

ron as far as i know, ever policy is subject to an audit.

why nit just sate a lower number and get your quotes on an established number.

then when they audit, you just pay for any overage.

i carry insurance for hoa coverage. most companies don't want to insure for hoa's as there is a much bigger potential for a serious claim.

every year it's a struggle to get re-quoted for a renewal. never had a claim, no additional insured, no sub out cost, no employees. yet every year they find an excuse to raise the rates and claim plumbers are a difficult trade to insure. consider yourself lucky.

insurance is something i hope to never use, yet a spend a pretty penny on it every year.

policies are written that it takes a good lawyer to read through the mumbo jumbo. 40 pages of b.s to tell me what i can and can't do

shop early as it takes up to 30 days to get a real quote.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Good point about the bad quarters.

They claim it's because of our income, yet when we first started 3 yrs ago we had no real idea what we would be making so they had us give them a projection and it just so happens, we are just now reaching those #'s.
        Maybe I should ask for a refund for the first 2yrs they were over charging us.

What I don't understand is, the 3 quotes I got from their competition are within $200-$300 of our first year policy amount.

Actually, I do understand it. It's called rape. If they double the rates on 10 business' and only 4 jump ship, they reduce their liability and get more money.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

When we got our own backhoe.. many moons ago, our insurance tripled due to them adding underground collapse, explosion, and forget what the third part was. I know our rats just went up again but was due to an increase in liability. A place we do work for wants our liability raised to 12 Mil for fire and property damage. We where last at 6 or 8 Mil. If this was a place I only do one job a year I would of told them to find another plumber. But we are in there at least 8 times a month working on something.

In the 50+ years my father has been running this company, he only had one claim, he slide down a unshoveled ice covered driveway and flattened the mailbox. Our insurance agent was going to fight the claim but my dad just told him to pay it. Ever since my father told all of us to never ever go in a drive way of any sort unless its been cleared of all ice and snow.
          Ron's Facebook

Comment

Rates are going up because businesses are going under, or they are not keeping insurance now, which drops the bottom line. This means that those of us that are still in biz are going to absorb it.

I just paid mine today, I believe it's $228 every 4 months. 2 million coverage. I don't care to work at large cost buildings or jobs. Staying small and still make it good.

Don't like dealing with large groups of people and plumbing.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post

They had a policy that specifically dealt with drain cleaning (among other things). My current policy is for Plumbing. Only problem is, I'm not a licensed Plumber. Thats always left me with an uneasy feeling. What if I have to make a claim and then they claim "sorry, can't help you. You have a Plumbers policy and your not a Plumber"?

The majority of "insurers" will look for ANY clause to deny a claim that's a higher amount.

$100.00. They'll pay for you to go away.

$10,000.00. They will deny your claim because you are not a "licensed plumbing contractor". Therefore ALL work you perform is outside the scope of the policy and will be declared uncovered. Might even try to accuse you of fraud even though you're making every effort to do things right.

You put a good amount of money involved and things change.

J.C.

Comment

"$10,000.00. They will deny your claim because you are not a "licensed plumbing contractor". Therefore ALL work you perform is outside the scope of the policy and will be declared uncovered. Might even try to accuse you of fraud even though you're making every effort to do things right."

This is exactly what I worry about. I explain exactly what drain cleaning involves and they have no idea what type of category to put me in, so it always comes up under Plumbing.
                When I stress the fact that I'm not a licensed Plumber they assure (not on paper) that I will be covered as long as I'm following the laws in the state of Maine.

They can say that all day long, but when it comes time for me to make a claim, I'm sure they would deny any mention of it.
                Its always left me with an uneasy feeling of not being 100% covered.

He11, I wouldn't even feel 100% covered with drain cleaning ins. the way they are denying legit claims now.

Comment

gene. ask your lawyer whether you are covered or not. breid

Comment

Why not become a licensed plumber, this will solve the issue.

Comment

You would think with all the members on this forum and all the views it gets someone from an insurance agency would chime in.
                      Ron's Facebook

Comment

I do only drain cleaning. My liability policy is a plumbers policy; no ins company I have talked with makes a distinction.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by jjaplumbing View Post
                          Why not become a licensed plumber, this will solve the issue.

I'd like to, but I'd have to shut down my business for 5 years to take a job to get my hours in.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            You would think with all the members on this forum and all the views it gets someone from an insurance agency would chime in.
                            ron, even with my agent, i still don't get an answer written in ink.

that's why they carry errors and omissions coverage.

there are so many grey areas it blows me away to think about it.

no excavating is one of the grey areas.

they don't or won't tell me the definition of excavating. is it a shovel or a backhoe? is it 1' deep or 5' deep?
                            still no real answer.

same goes with exterior work above 3 stories.

is a water heater on a flat roof off limits above 3 stories. but a water heater in a mechanical room on the 30th floor covered?

so the heater on the roof leaks on the roof and does no damage, i'm not covered. but the heater on the 30th. floor indoors leaks and i'm covered

stupidity

rick.

still confused
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I have a good relationship with My agent.I'll see if He can insure in Your state ,Maine
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X