X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best was ring for a toilet ?

Fluid master has a wax ring made out of hard plastic with a flat rubber gasket and some closed cell foam donuts. I installed this on a family member's toilet seemed to work good no mess when you pull the toilet. Once you set the toilet, what is the best way to shim the toilet if it wobbles. I have used the plastic tapered washers, metal washers rubber tank washers redwood. Than I seal the base with poly seam seal white and ask the customer not to use the toilet until the next day. What do you guys do. Do you use a wax ring with a collar no collar or both. Or do you use something else. When I pulled some toilets that were installed for many years the plumber used plumbers putty ! David

Re: The best was ring for a toilet ?

I still use plumbers putty for setting water closets. It works real good never had any call backs.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I carry the fernco no wax but they are best used on new toilets, if used the wax prevents the fernco from sticking to the toilet. I use wax rings with no plastic hat if I can the plastic gets ripped out when you toilet auger them. I try not to shim them but repair the flange or floor area. But I use plastic framing shims when I have to.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Plumbers putty was used on metal closet flanges but on abs or pvc it is not supposed to be used on plastic as it weakens over time. How much time I do not know.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I use wax, with the plastic insert. I've replaced a couple of those rubber doughnut ones that were leaking with wax. Sometimes I have to cut the plastic insert down as on some flanges when you set the toilet it will smush in and hit something and deform and cause blockages.

For shims I like the composite plastic versions of the cedar shims carpenters use for door and window frames; they snap off nice and clean.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I use wax rings without the horn on most installations.
            I think the plastic horns cause more problems than they ever prevented.

For shims I use the plastic wedges or, coins whatever works.

I caulk the base with Phenoseal or Polyseamseal.
            Never Silicone RTV!
            Have a heart for the next person that may have to pull that toilet will ya.
            411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

I use Harveys #1 #3 & #4 it depends on what size pipe i have to deal with, And the shape of the flange, then i make the choice..
              with the smaller outlets on the coms , i dont think you grab the plastic horn as much as we did in the big flush days
              I use rubber com shims

Comment

I don't bother with the wax rings with plastic horns anymore. A lot of the closet flanges in this area have a slightly smaller inside diameter and this casue the plastic horn(collar) to kick up on one side and cause a leak.

Comment

Working...
                X