Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My new root rangers

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    .045 should put out 4.5gpm each at 4000psi. so 9 would be the total.

these didn't have the quick disconnect, but did have bspt that i re-tapped to npt.

the dual .070 is approx 14 gpm total. they too are tapped 3/8''.

i have some clear pipe that ben dropped off, when i get a chance, i will film it in the 3'' clear pipe. thinking of filling it with apples, lemons, or roots and mud. stuff should fly.

rick.
    Rick you are one cool operator. It is amazing following the adventures of "Rick". BTW the US Jetter look like one serious good unit. Is that the new addition to your fleet.

Comment

it was delivered just before the end of the year. wanted the tax credit for 2011

the model i chose was really meant for your market. it's the 4000# 18 gpm with 200 gallon tank instead of the 300 gallon unit i sold. this brings the unit in 18'' narrower than the 300. now it's not as wide as my sprinter and lighter too to tow. it also has the full remote with readout. i can start stop the engine, water and control the pressure from my handheld unit. it allows me to work alone without someone at the machine. i added a 3/8'' x 400' reel and 1/4'' x 250' reel to go along with the hydraulic 1/2'' x 500' reel. not to mention all the jumpers and assortment of nozzles.

i purchased an electronic footage counter that i might sell as it's based on a perfect windup of the hose. it counts reel revolutions and is only accurate when the hose ir properly wound up.

i also found a manual footage counter i just rebuilt and it actually measures the hose as it passes through the pinch wheels. colored electrical tape works for a period of time then tears off.

wait until i film the double .070 root ranger inside of clear pipe. should be a blast.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

since the double barrel root ranger is in a class by itself, i've started a new thread for it at this link. https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t41149/

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

don't think that since i got my new double barrel root rangers, that i retired the single barrel.

had a full day of jetting today of several hundred feet of 3'' and 4'' styrene plastic pipe installed in the mid 80's on a massive property in a gated community. the person just bought the house and the contractor called me to see if i could jet the drains from the pool deck and yard to the street. so i towed my big jetter there and used just 2 nozzles in the styrene pipe and non directional fittings. first was the 1/4'' screwdriver nozzle with 250' of 1/4'' hose running at 4000-4200# at the pump. followed by the 1/4'' ridgid root ranger same specs.

what was very impressive for the contractor was the ability to locate the buried drains and pipe with the root ranger and screwdriver nozzle. when it hit a buried yard box and turned inside the box, the nozzle shot water up and out from the ground through 4-6'' of dirt and roots. but i also located a tee that was non passable over 2' deep with just the vibration of turbine into the ground and grass above.

lots of mud and cut roots washing out to the street, but this was my prize find. over 3' long and a solid 4'' mass. needed the screwdriver nozzle to bore a hole through the mass, then was able to blast it out with the root ranger.

styrene pipe and fittings should have never been sold, but it's also the reason why i keep my jetters busy.

rick.

Attached Files
          phoebe it is

Comment

Wow I like this post. It is very significant for us. Are you know? why? Actually I assume that, It is a informative post. so we can learn about that. cause i am new here. At fast I did know about that. But I know something about that now.
            Thanks
            For your plumbing needs : plumbing in san diego

Comment

todays root ranger job was interesting. needed to access the 4'' main through a 3'' wall clean out and clean heavy roots from the 34'- 43' mark. the 4'' ground clean out was a no hub cast iron 4'' comby buried approx 4' deep and pointing downstream while i need to go upstream. with the 1/4'' hose and some special techniques i was able to get into the comby and go upstream while using my camera from the 3'' wall clean out to watch my upstream progress as i went downstream with the camera.

fortunately the 1/4'' root ranger, a seesnake and jetter is all i needed to clean the heavy roots and make a before and after video. the house is in escrow for 1.6m and nothing like a sewer full of roots to cancel a big sale.

i first tried a 1/4'' warthog nozzle that cost almost 2x more than the 1/4'' root ranger. and that was a complete waste of time and money on the nozzle. sounds impressive while it's spinning, but sounds isn't looks and in the end, the warthog is a joke and the root ranger is the real deal.

rick.
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-18-2012, 01:15 AM.
              phoebe it is

Comment

todays root ranger job was interesting. needed to access the 4'' main through a 3'' wall clean out and clean heavy roots from the 34'- 43' mark. the 4'' ground clean out was a no hub cast iron 4'' comby buried approx 4' deep and pointing downstream while i need to go upstream. with the 1/4'' hose and some special techniques i was able to get into the comby and go upstream while using my camera from the 3'' wall clean out to watch my upstream progress as i went downstream with the camera.

fortunately the 1/4'' root ranger, a seesnake and jetter is all i needed to clean the heavy roots and make a before and after video. the house is in escrow for 1.6m and nothing like a sewer full of roots to cancel a big sale.

i first tried a 1/4'' warthog nozzle that cost almost 2x more than the 1/4'' root ranger. and that was a complete waste of time and money on the nozzle. sounds impressive while it's spinning, but sounds isn't looks and in the end, the warthog is a joke and the root ranger is the real deal.

rick.
                How did you manage to get a root ranger upstream? I am assuming you had to fish something from upstream and catch the hose, then attach the RR, then jet?
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • conductor fault locating
                • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

rick.
                  Funny that you mention the Warthog, Rick. I had similar last week and the warthog just litterally didnt cut it. Was supposed to be a good first up nozzel but didnt happen. Root ranger rules..........!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                    How did you manage to get a root ranger upstream? I am assuming you had to fish something from upstream and catch the hose, then attach the RR, then jet?
                    you take the hose and bend it into a "U" at the very end. then insert the root ranger backwards into the clean out with the nose facing up and the nozzle up against the riser towards the upstream direction. as you push the hose and nozzle into the riser, allow the nozzle to slide down and as it hits the "T" it will want to unfold at the hose bend. this will cause the nozzle to fall flat facing upstream. start up the water slowly to make sure it is heading upstream and then let it blast. you have to feed hose so it doesn't drag as much on the fitting throat. pulling back you also have to go easy as it will want to drag on the throat of the fitting.

of course a 2 way c/o makes it simple, but i rarely see 2 ways.

anytime you can safely jet upstream and know the piping layout, you're better. it's the preferred way of jetting and the only way the sanitation company jets is from manhole to manhole running upstream.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

How hard was it to pull it out?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

you take the hose and bend it into a "U" at the very end. then insert the root ranger backwards into the clean out with the nose facing up and the nozzle up against the riser towards the upstream direction. as you push the hose and nozzle into the riser, allow the nozzle to slide down and as it hits the "T" it will want to unfold at the hose bend. this will cause the nozzle to fall flat facing upstream. start up the water slowly to make sure it is heading upstream and then let it blast. you have to feed hose so it doesn't drag as much on the fitting throat. pulling back you also have to go easy as it will want to drag on the throat of the fitting.

of course a 2 way c/o makes it simple, but i rarely see 2 ways.

anytime you can safely jet upstream and know the piping layout, you're better. it's the preferred way of jetting and the only way the sanitation company jets is from manhole to manhole running upstream.

rick.
                        Bill has a great suggestion for this , he puts on a bit of cheap 2" hose ( cheap similar to what we call agi line, spiral plastic hose) onto the jetter hose and do what you have described and after you move the root ranger up the line, move the spiral hose around the throat to make a smooth transition and not to make it rough on your hoses.

I also take the added precaution of tying a piece of strip around the 2" hose in case something fails and the hose ends up down the line.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          How hard was it to pull it out?
                          no problem at all. especially once you drop the pressure. never hung up or ate the hose up.

come out 1 day to play with it. i know a great hawaiian lunch spot

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

no problem at all. especially once you drop the pressure. never hung up or ate the hose up.

come out 1 day to play with it. i know a great hawaiian lunch spot

rick.
                            Until you said it was possible with it attached I assumed it would hook the combo.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • conductor fault locating
                            • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Working...
                            X