X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer Pipe Go BOOM!!!

Be carefull were you stick your cable, you never know whats in the pipe.

This is a bored gas line that went right through the sewer pipe, length wise.

This is the second one I have seen in 2 weeks, the first was a 2" gas line.

Very Scary!!!

Just a heads up, if they are boring new gas lines in your area be carefull how agressive you are with your cutters.Attachment

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment
    Attached Files

Re: Sewer Pipe Go BOOM!!!

Here in Ca. We aren't allowed to run utility's in a sewer pipe. !!!!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

about 7 years ago i was referred to a camera job that had issues for the prior 5 years.

get there and the line was plugged, even though it was snaked 1 week earlier.

so i run my k7500 with cutters. sure enough i clear the stoppage and hear a high pitched whistle. couldn't smell anything at this point yet. so i run my camera and see a 1/2'' yellow hdpe gas line running right through the clay line

call 911, fire dept and gas co show up. gas co confirms my find and send out a street crew to open the street and shut the high pressure line feeding the house.

turns out that 5 years prior the gas co. moved the meter from the curb to the front of the house and pneumatically bored the underground line.

they ended up paying for all the sewer calls over the last 5 years.

my question is why no one else ever cut the gas line. they had it snaked at least 3 times a year for 5 years.

all i can say is i had a k-7500 and they didn't

if i had my k-60 with root saw back then, it too would have cut the line

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I ran into one where there was a 2" high pressure main running right across the sewer out in the park way. This was before there was camera systems for us to use,. When I dug the line, which was 4 feet deep, we came across a strong gas smell once we exposed the sewer with this 2" pipe running right through the side of it at the hub. They used a a trencher to lay the pipe and was told the depth of the sewers in the area where 4' so they set the trencher to 3' 8" no taking in account that the lay of the land can make it shallower, and the hubs stick up a bit more too.

After everyone was done taking pictures and such I asked if I can remove the rest of the broken sewer and make my repair. They said sure. So I snapped the sewer clean about 2' in front of the gas and 2' behind the gas line. Then I grabbed a hold of the gas line and raised it up the 3" I needed to make room for the new piece. As I did this the gas guy almost crapped a brick saying "Are you crazy? That is a compromised high pressure pipe!" I shrugged it off at the time made my repair gave the home owner my bill along with my sworn statement why her sewer was broken. The gas company picked up the bill and ended up repairing 10 other sewers on that street.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I think the true repair for that kinda job is to bring back the gas line crew,

Let the plumbers beat them over the skull with that RIDGID shovel till the sticker comes off.

That's totally uncall for knowing they was running that pipe with no resistance, knowing something wasn't right.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I got hung up on a sewer running back from the septic tank to the house

about 3 feet from the tank.

the problem? new 200 amp service.

Comment

That clay pipe makes a nice sleeve for the gas

Comment

I have seen a lot of cable lines shot right thru the middle of sewer pipes. And a few underground electric services. It is really becoming a real concern to drain cleaners and will only get worse.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

We jetted through a gas pipe with a blade cutter attached to the Root Ranger. (A plastic gas pipe was tunnel bored through a sewer pipe.)
                  The client called us to say there was a sewer smell in the bathroom and the toilet was bubbling. Thinking it was a call-back we returned to find the whole house was full of gas including the sewer main.

I have a video of the toilet bubbling gas, will try to dig it out. The gas company re-routed the pipe and denied responsibility
                  Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

I had 1 with gas through it. I;m suprised how many of us this has happened to. I had to much dirt in the line to see the line but after asking they said they think the gas company was out directional boring a few weeks earlier. sure enough. Goll that house was filthy might be the worst so far. It was like an F------ cat and dog crap factory.

Comment

You know it is amazing that we are not supposed to start digging without getting things located and if we hit something we get fined a **** load, but if somebody else bores through a sewer line, who gives a crap its just a leaking sewer and if the line backs up its only the customer who suffers. The hypocrisy is unbelievable.

Comment

Wow.

Thanks for the heads up, but how do you do anything about it other than video every sewer. That will find the problem sooner but you'd still have to get the line unstopped first to see it.

Ill have to pull my blades off and just start running the cable.

Something to think about the next time I run into a tight spot in the line.

Good luck everybody.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

[QUOTE=pioneer1;244352]Be carefull were you stick your cable, you never know whats in the pipe.

This is a bored gas line that went right through the sewer pipe, length wise.

This is the second one I have seen in 2 weeks, the first was a 2" gas line.

Very Scary!!!

Just a heads up, if they are boring new gas lines in your area be carefull how agressive you are with your cutters.Attachment

N Aggressive? How does one cut a big root wad ????? Hey PG+E would You camera My lateral, It's too hard.
                          Attached Files
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I have seen other lines running through the sewer but never seen or heard of a gas line running through it. That's insane, I would furious. You hit that line one spark and their picking your parts up three counties over.

Comment

I had a lady contact me to locate her sewer, cause she got a letter from a boring / trenching company. It stated that they had called JULIE (our call first center) and they located the water and other utilities, except her sewer. And since her sewer is not located during the JULIE call they are not responsible if they hit and break her sewer line unless she hires someone to locate it for her.

So I ran my trusty old SeeSnake with its 512Hz ProtoTek locater through her sewer, located it every 3 feet and sprayed depth markings at each point. Oh Not one of them fancy new ProtoTek digital locators, it was a first generation FR-1. I just used some locating basics and some math to figure out depth, and verified with a probe just to double check to make sure I did not screw up the math or locate.

When the boring/trenching company came by to run there line, they started saying with out knowing the depth of the sewer they still can not guarantee not hitting it. But I was there and showed them my markings with the depth clearly stated at each mark. They where very unhappy campers, they new the working depth and the general run of the sewer, they just did not want to have to hand dig in the spot.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                              X