Drum cable size ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum cable size ?

I recently did a jetter job for another drain company in my area that has been around for about 50 years. He has been using 3/4 cable with no inner core for that 50 years and wont change a thing. I used to work for a Rooter company and I used the 5/8 cable inner core and never had any problems cleaning drains up to 6". I have been using 11/16 innercore cable in my big machine but have been thinking about getting a medium drum machine with 5/8 innercore cable and not carrying the big machine around anymore. What are all you guys using and what do you prefer. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Re: Drum cable size ?

Others may not agree but in my area I use a 300 with 5/8" IC for up to 6" mains. My runs are rarely over 60' and the machine works great. I've had to use 1/2" ic in a 100 b4 and cleared some nasty root stoppages. I prefer and feel safer with the 5/8" though.

Comment

for the real big and nasty jobs. i use 1.25'' sectional innercore.

tomorrow will be the ultimate test.

6'' main with at least 10' of solid roots. less than 1'' of opening on the bottom and possibly 50' in length.

jetting would be my preference, but i have to be concerned with a basement back water valve not holding.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I've got a 300 with 100' of .55 magnum cable and have had good luck. I don't get into 6" lines though, well, very rarely anyhow. I haven't used my 3/4 machine this year.
        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Trent2, how do you like the.55 cable on roots? I haven't tried it yet and I'm interesting in using it

Comment

Well you can't go at it like with a 3/4" cable but if you practice some paitence you'll do fine. I've kinked it before and had it double back (driver with not enough experience) but I wouldn't go back to the big machine for my primary. Maybe if it was a Spartan or Ridgid but it's a General and the drive sucks!

Comment

Had a nasty root job today. Had to use the 100 with 1/2" cable due to access. Some patience and slow cutting got em out. Just wondering if the .55 holds up better because I sometimes have these hanging sewers with poor access and need the smaller machine with bigger cable.

Comment

Yeah I think you'd do better with the .55. I have a 100 with the 1/2" cable. The .55 seems alot stiffer. The power of the 300 is better if you've got the room for the machine. I can't hardly bear to use the 100 unless it's an easy soft blockage.

Comment

300 is my sewer machine but sometimes I just have to use that 100 on roots. It definately takes longer but it will do the job when necessary. Do u use spartan cable?

Comment

Yes, I haven't replaced it yet. For me drain cleaning is secondary to pumping so my machines don't get as much use as most of the guys here. I do need to replace the cable on the 100 as we (my driver) wraped it up in a pipe and kinked the $hit out of it. I've still got one drum with 50' on it and that particular truck carries the jetter as well so he can still get the line cleared.

Comment

Working...
                    X