Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sprinter or express?

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
    ok i have been looking around what size do you think 170 158 or 144?
    i bought the 144'' w.b. 3500 at 9990# gvw.

purposely stayed under 10,000# gvw.

inside is 6'4'' tall and i have just over 10' with my custom made partition. very important for 10' sticks of pipe.

also made a removable side rack for 20-21' lengths.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

the shorter ones are more common. i was worried that a cart jetter wouldn't fit.
      the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

As much as I am pro-sprinter I would definitely not spend that much money for a) a gas version and b) a car that is "new" and sitting on a dealers lot for 3 years. Mind you cars come out fall/summer year prior to the model year. I'm in Virginia and last year they were selling 07s for 24k. I've found diesel sprinters out there for 30 so you have to look for them. And usually your local dealer has the ability to snag one from another dealer nationwide. I was pricing out express vans but the 2500 with the 4.8 at 22-23 and even then was when I realized I'd much rather have the 6.0 v8 in the express because the dealer himself said that the 4.8 is crap and will get worse mileage than the 6.0 when loaded. Dont know much about the power in the sprinter to be honest but I like that it's more narrow and easier to drive around DC the small streets in DC. I'm currently in a 00 express cutaway with the USV body. DEFINITELY an awesome idea... In theory. That thing is so wide it's next to impossible to drive and park somewhere. 1500s are crap. Save yourself the hassle and check out a 2500.

Comment

I have a 2007 170 WB Diesel which also allows me to place a 28 ft extension ladder inside against the wheel well. You can also weld up some angle iron and support uni-strut underneath it from the roof.....then purchase one of those ladder supports that rolls from AMERICAN VAN. I think it would work with that.

Comment

m-59 dodge advertises sprinters for 23000 new in every sundays detroit news available at local newstands. Try calling 248 area code information, as for m-59 dodge in white lake area mi

Comment

i've decided to go with a sprinter. anyone have a color choice? there are new ones at the dealer in white and black.
              the high price of $33,500 i'm leary of.

i would like a used one. but i'm afraid of getting one that has a trany or engine problems. then i might as well have bought a new one.
              i did that with an isuzu once....
              Last edited by Jerad; 10-01-2009, 11:48 PM.

Comment

i found an express 5.3ltr brand new 2008 from the dealer. $15,500 ten foot bed. when i did the cost per mile for 5 years. it had the sprinter was $1.80 per mile and the express was .90 cents a mile. half the cost in 5 years. i would pay less then half for the express but the gas miliage was only 5 miles per gal different. so i'm wondering if this is a deal i should jump on now. i'll do it tomarrow!

Comment

better be a 2500 or 3500. stay far away from a 1500.

i would go 3500 as the brakes are bigger along with the suspension.

nothing wrong with an express, except that you blow the stand up headroom. that's why i went with a sprinter.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

it is a 1500. i carry nearly 800 lbs in my astro now pluse me that make 1,000 lbs. i just past 110,000 miles and the front brakes are still 50% and i changed the rear brakes 2 months ago. i keep a lot of what ifs in the van and can get the weight down to 250 lbs if needed.
                    add the jetter 250 lbs, camera, cables, k-60 300 lbs. i'm on the right track as far as weight that makes it back up to 800 lbs or do i need to ad more for the jetter? Rick what does your weigh?
                    if you were to put your cart jetter in an express how much room would you have left over?
                    Last edited by Jerad; 10-02-2009, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Don't waste your time on a 1500, in six months from now you will want to add a piece of equipment and be over the recommended weight which is harder on brakes, transmission, springs etc.. Minimum 2500 and I would try and get something with extra height, especially with a large cart jetter being taken in and out or buy a hard hat.

Comment

Tooling up a new Express. Its a one ton with the long wheel base. Tall Sprinter wouldn't fit in my shop. 2008 36xxx $16500. There is a ton of good deal on vans. No one every wishes they got a smaller motor or a half ton. I said I wouldnt put too much stuff in this one. Maybe.

Comment

for those of you with the 6 LTR express what kind of gas milliage are you getting? loaded.

Comment

The 6ltr engine is not good on gas, but the power is great, especially for towing, there is not much difference if you haul a trailer or not. It is rated as one of the best engines. I have found the smaller engines lag. I have no problem spending a bit more on gas to have the power and durability.

Comment

What their asking for Sprinters they can stay on the dealers lot.
                              I can buy a van for 10k or more less than a sprinter so add that 10k saved plus the intrest saved on that 10k I could buy a nice camera and a nice portable jet.
                              Rod
                              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                              http://unclognh.com
                              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

against Ricks counsel. i'm going to purchase a bigger van.
                                would you rather have the payment or pay with gas?
                                if it was 6's either way what would you do?

Comment

Working...
                                X