X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sprinter or express?

i know that service guy ended up buying an express and Rick just bought a sprinter.
    i have come accross 2 really good deals. at least i hope they are good. both are brand new with factory warranty.

1. 2008 chevy express 4.3 ltr. 1500 10ft cargo $19,000

2. 2007 sprinter 2500 "GAS" 3.5 ltr 10ft cargo $28,000 "not high roof" just 5.4 roof.

both dealers are claming that they get 20 mpg combined "unloaded of course."
    i drive between 200 and 300 miles a day.

i'm currently in an Astro and get 17 mpg combined "loaded" it has a 6 ft cargo bed i'd gain about 4 feet either way.

what would you choose and why?
    thanks
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Re: sprinter or express?

Both choices seem underpowered to me, especially if your gonna load 'em up. Small motors like that will want the transmission in a lower gear most of the time which will kill your fuel mileage.

Comment

Between these two only?

Sprinter hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
        i know that service guy ended up buying an express and Rick just bought a sprinter.
        i have come accross 2 really good deals. at least i hope they are good. both are brand new with factory warranty.

1. 2008 chevy express 4.3 ltr. 1500 10ft cargo $19,000

2. 2007 sprinter 2500 "GAS" 3.5 ltr 10ft cargo $28,000 "not high roof" just 5.4 roof.

both dealers are claming that they get 20 mpg combined "unloaded of course."
        i drive between 200 and 300 miles a day.

i'm currently in an Astro and get 17 mpg combined "loaded" it has a 6 ft cargo bed i'd gain about 4 feet either way.

what would you choose and why?
        thanks
        My Express is a P.O.S 2003 80K miles. I don't have much faith in GM now.
        I was a die hard GM person.
        The sprinter looks good. But it's still a Dodge.
        Why can't Toyota come out with a full size commercial cargo van?

Buddy of mine is working in a Sprinter he loves it. He has been in Chevy vans for years. It's still new so we will see. Plus He does not own it his boss does and he does not have to pay for repairs his boss does.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

neither.

200-300 miles per day requires the turbo diesel.

i had a couple of chevy/ gmc 3500 and 20mpg was only going downhill empty the 1500 is way to light duty for a plumbing truck.

you really need to go onto a sprinter forum to see the gas engine issues.

200-300 a week would be ok.

i drive anywhere from 5-20 miles a day. gas would be fine with me.

p.s the whole purpose of a sprinter is the tall/ high roof line.

if it wasn't for that, i would still be in a gmc van.

wait till you have the real facts on both.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Lookie what I found Toyoto does make vans just not here.

Maybe it's too small can't tell.
            Attached Files
            Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              neither.

200-300 miles per day requires the turbo diesel.

i had a couple of chevy/ gmc 3500 and 20mpg was only going downhill empty the 1500 is way to light duty for a plumbing truck.

you really need to go onto a sprinter forum to see the gas engine issues.

200-300 a week would be ok.

i drive anywhere from 5-20 miles a day. gas would be fine with me.

p.s the whole purpose of a sprinter is the tall/ high roof line.

if it wasn't for that, i would still be in a gmc van.

wait till you have the real facts on both.

rick.
              I did get to hop into the back of the high top sprinter. It was nice not to be bent over looking for stock.
              Rod

Comment

this will be used for drain cleaning and appliance repair.
                the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

I own a 2004 Sprinter Turbo Diesel, and love it. Yea it is not the fastest truck off the line but who cares. It gets me from point a to point be in one piece. I average 100 to 300 miles a day as well. The only thing I had go wrong is the EGR valve, and the inter cooler hoses. Other than that normal maintenance.

I also owned a Chevy van before the sprinter, was a 98 3500 series. I would still be driving it, if it where not for some guy that broadsided me and totaled it. I would never go with a 1500 series though its only a 1/2 ton and to light duty for a sewer cleaning van. You want at least the heavy duty 3/4 ton or the 1 ton van.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

What ever I get next will be a box van with a rear lift gate.
                    I would take a Sprinter set up like this
                    Could I ever afford it no
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by UnClogNH; 08-07-2009, 07:58 PM.
                    Rod

Comment

I would love to work out of a sprinter, but the whole point is the extra space, and it won't work for me because no way is it getting into a parking garage.

I have savanna 3500's. I like them. They have 5.7's and sure don't feel fast. 20mpg no way. I get like 13-15.

I'd love room for more stuff, but I'm already driving basically the biggest thing that I have a reasonable chance of parking.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I would go for a Sprinter...just not THAT one. $28k is NOT a GOOD deal!!! I bought mine for $40k......and it IS diesel, it is a highline(6'4" interior height), and it has the 13ft bed(almost 14ft). It also has a locking aluminum partition door. THe 28k sounds like the prices that I saw almsot a year and a half ago when I bought my 2007 diesel. THe diesel option adds about $6k to the price but is is WELL worth it. My trucks usually weighs about 8,000 lbs but gets 16 mpg. That is great mileage for a truck so heavy and tall, and it has PLENTY of power! Most guys hem and haw about the price but they are just a bunch of cheap as... I love my Sprinter . A lot of people have trouble with the gas versions plus they have no power and get about 13 mpg. Just make sure that you have a place to park it as I found out in my town that vehicles over 8 ft tall and 22 ft long are considerered commercial even without lettering.....yet all the rednecks around here can keep their scuzzy looking boats all over their properties!!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          Between these two only?

Sprinter hands down.

I thought Sprinters were top heavy??
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

You would think that they would be top heavy but I've never had trouble with it. I've even driven over the Sunshine Skyway bridge during heavy winds with no problems at all.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              I thought Sprinters were top heavy??
                              Did you see the video here of the sprinter doing high speed fishtails because the driver did not know how to drive?

I think Dunbar posted it.

Didn't look top heavy to me.

For the record...
                              I hate vans.Sure,if all you do is fix faucets and flappers you can get by.
                              But when I try and keep drain cleaningAND my construction gig in the same vehicle it becomes a huge waste of time.Too much of it spent moving crap around to get to something.I don't care if it's organized and everything is exactly where it should be.

Did you say you were looking into low heighth sprinter?

Comment

Working...
                              X