X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my call today

About 130 this afternoon the on- call guy calls me, he's back at a job he cabled yesterday, he cabled the main out to 100 feet and pulled back roots, kept cabling, it came back clean.
    so apparently it backed up again this morning. He goes back out with the jetter, tries to use it, and it won't hold pressure, spikes out at 3000 psi, and drops to 0 rinse and repeat.

well crud, he has a speedway with only 1 100 foot cable.
    so he calls me to bring in the K7500. I have a 100 foot drum, and another 50 foot drum.

anyway, I just got this truck as My truck friday morning, so i've been cleaning the junk out all weekend, hadn't really looked at the machines yet. we Run the 100 footer out, and the autofeed is only sort of working, one of the heads is broken, but thats ok, because the cable is so kinked it's likely what broke the autofeed. we finally get it run all the way out to the disconnect so we can change drums, and the set screw is stripped, it just flat out won't turn. we tried penetrating oil, heat, hammering, finally ended up winding the snake back in, again mostly manually. switch the drums to lead with the 50 footer, push that back out, swap the drums back, and latch the 100 footer on.

the 50 footer was in pretty good shape, only 1 45 degree bend in it about halfway down.

never really felt like we hit anything either. anyway, we finally roll everything back in, and camera the line. we hit a manhole at 110 feet. but whatever was blocking the line, we cleared.

Too long didn't read version:
    my k7500 is jacked, needs new heads for the autofeed. 2 new snakes, 1 new leader for the 100 foot drum, the hose for the foot pedal is barely long enough to hit the ground, and the gfci has been cut out of the power cord.

called the boss and ran down the list of things i'm ordering tomorrow, he's not exactly happy, but broken equipment is useless equipment.
    add that to the jetter not working right, and one of the tires on my box truck looking like a racing slick, and it just makes me kind of glad I'm not the owner.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: my call today

Heres a couple of pictures of that work truck after I got Mostly done organizing it, keep in mind, this is a 16 foot box truck, and I didn't throw anything useable away. only the trash, so it's a bit more crowded than it will be when I use up some of the excess.

now heres a picture I took several months ago of the back of the truck, and believe it or not, it was worse when I get ahold of it a couple of days ago.

No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Well, heck. I'm a owner and my day was at a pro ball game sitting behind home plate eating, drinking and toasting stopped up sewers that takes 2 guys 2 days to clear.

And breaking 2 machines!

Just kiddding about being mad. The game was great, though...thanks!
      (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

1 of the advantages as the owner and only employee, anything that is broken, i know about

then again things don't break too easily

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Drip Trip View Post
          Well, heck. I'm a owner and my day was at a pro ball game sitting behind home plate eating, drinking and toasting stopped up sewers that takes 2 guys 2 days to clear.

And breaking 2 machines!

Just kiddding about being mad. The game was great, though...thanks!
          heck i'd be mad if I were the owner, sometimes it's good to just be able to clock out and go home. I have a feeling in the really busy times on call, i'm going to wish I were working for myself. in the slow times, i'm glad I dont.

Comment

in retrospect, he'll probably be a lot less pissed about fixing the 7500 when he sees the back of the truck, see the above pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              in retrospect, he'll probably be a lot less pissed about fixing the 7500 when he sees the back of the truck, see the above pictures.
              Nice job, kid. Having good employees is part of the satisfaction.....
              (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

As an owner and employer, I love it when a guy takes pride in his truck and keeps it neat, just as long it doesn't take hime all day piddling around with it. I had a guy that wanted to completely detail his truck, like showroom new. Uh pal, thanks but you're wasting time and my money. Conversely, I had a guy that could make it look that good quickly, and get all kinds of other stuff done too. Too bad he turned out the be a pedophile.
                www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                  and the set screw is stripped, it just flat out won't turn. we tried penetrating oil, heat, hammering, finally ended up winding the snake back in, again mostly manually. switch the drums to lead with the 50 footer, push that back out, swap the drums back, and latch the 100 footer on.
                  I got 2 new 100' ridgid cables and was really disapointed with the ridgid connection. I called up Ron(seweratz) to see what could be done. Following his advice, I punched out the screw from the backside with a punch and it came out real easy and then drilled out the hole to accept a roll pin like a spartan connection. Entire process took 5 minutes and I feel better about the roll pin then the ridgid end.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I ordered all the parts to fix my machine today, it'll be nice to make it safe to use. should only take a few days for them to arrive.

Comment

As an owner there is job security there once you have established your business and have a good data base of regular customers. I feel bad for a guy starting out right now or with in the last two yrs. I can tell you I have lost a ton of new companies recently because they are out of business due to the lack of work. When I speak with the owners or purchasing managers for a larger company I mostly will hear how they went from 30 or 40 guys now down to 5-10 guys .
                      It's sad because I have become good friends with some of them. When I call or they call it's not business it's how's the family or how was your vacation did you catch any fish....

I came in the office this morning had an email from one of my buddy's out of CA. He had a very large company about 245 employees. I had an email telling me that if I want to reach him from now on to call his cell. So I called his cell and asked what was going on. The guy about broke down in tears and told me over the last month he had laid off 75% of his crew and office staff because the new construction side of his business was down so much. He said that he had held onto them as long as he could and decided instead of letting a few go here and there he told them a few months ago to seriously start looking for work and that with in the next few months lay offs would start. He said it killed him to see the business his grandfather started go down so fast. He felt bad for all the families of the guys he had to let go. That is one thing about being a business owner I don't envy. He was now back working in the field for the first time in seven years.

Comment

Working...
                      X