my custom cutters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my custom cutters

been playing around with custom cutters for my sectional machines.

found it cheaper to buy the stock than to make them from scratch.

so today i was at the swap meet and came across the brand new band saw blades. 1.25'' x .042'' thick x 16' long. 4tpi.

i figured there's enough stock there to make a lot of blades of course the pear style blades are easy to bend and form, it's the spiral root saw that i will be making.

bought 2 brand new blades for $5.00 each they go for about $125 each

even know how to properly twist and roll them back into themselves without getting cut

rick.

i'm stepping on the blade to keep it tame.

that blade can do some serious root cutting.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-09-2009, 10:47 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: my custom cutters

WOW, You're shop is awesome! Man that place looks like a wicked place to check out. You should take more pics so we can all drool over all your tools. That's cool that you make your own cutters, should be interesting to see some when you're all done. We don't have many shops that big where I live and not many people make their own tools up here so it's definitely cool to see you making stuff like your jetter attachments and cutterheads. Maybe you should start making some money off Ridgid with your inventions...if you haven't already!

Comment

i wish i could take credit for that shop. it's actually my buddies and i brought it there to see if the blade would fit one of his 3 bandsaws.

the blade he needs is 11'6'' and he doesn't have a blade welder for this size blade. so i don't feel bad teasing him with the blades.

i'll probably go to my metal shop class tomorrow night and see what i can bend and roll up.

the trick is annealing them and then re-tempering them. too much and they snap.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Nonetheless I still imagine your shop is pretty cool. Seeing as you've been doing this for a while and own a lot of tools I would be pretty impressed, but then again, when it comes to tools I'm pretty easily impressed. Even garage sales never cease to impress me.

Comment

the trick is annealing them and then re-tempering them. too much and they snap
          I was gonna say that those type blades are pretty brittle, but I see you are working on that.

Be sure and let us see the finished product and a report on how well it performs in the field on some roots.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
          X