My new Root Ranger 'The Ghetto Blaster'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Root Ranger 'The Ghetto Blaster'

Ever since I saw the Ridgid Root Ranger in action at last years' Roundup I've been jonesing for one. I just couldn't justify the $300+ price tag. So I 'value engineered' one

I tried to build it by using two 1/4" street 45's and a street 90. That works, but it's way too wide at nearly 3 1/4". Might be ok for 6" pipe but I'd be afraid of getting it stuck in 4"

So I tried two street 90's and it's only 2-1/2" wide. I'll need to tack weld the 90's so they don't spin on me in the pipe and add a weighted nose piece. Not sure what to use there

Name:  687b667e40107e87656f74b78794bf4b.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  457.0 KB
    Regular rotary nozzle paired to the specs for my machine with zero degree head on a 25 degree pattern (about $30 from Water Cannon)

Name:  db23c5beb7149209b170443ae31dccc9.jpg
Size:  379.4 KB
    Same nozzle with the cover removed.

Name:  0aea3258268afce128d5fd78d842757f.jpg
Size:  423.9 KB
    Little too wide at 3-1/4"

Name:  5dab5965ca6340eed7e47207caa24fe0.jpg
Size:  411.9 KB
    This is the prototype version I named 'The Ghetto Blaster'
    Untested final version
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 08-12-2009, 06:42 PM.

Re: My new Root Ranger 'The Ghetto Blaster'

i like it now go pull your toilet and let us know how it works
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Careful not to get your foot caught in the foot pedal again.

The last thing you want is a Root Ranger screaming through the neighborhood
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

the idea I was thinking of trying was to take a 1/4 pipe and put a fitting on one end of the pipe to hold the shape, and then heat the pipe and carefully bent it around a shaft to get the curve and end up with a U in the pipe, and then cut off and rethead it to the location where I would want to hook up the hose,

or just take a block of steel and drill and tap and then drill a couple of internal passages, and then shape it like the boughten unit, have not had time to spend on working on it,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

We spent years developing the Root Ranger. We started with a couple of bends ourselves then went to the drilled bar. The Root Ranger has a smooth 90 degree pressure bend inside a cast duplex stainless housing.

The smooth curve prevents water energy loss. It's shape allows it to fit past large root masses then shred them to bits! It won't come undone in the drain (like to screwed bends) and they are nearly impossible to wear out thus very expensive to make!

We have an arsenal of Jet heads of mass destruction!

Check out this baby below!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by bill2601; 08-13-2009, 01:10 AM.
          Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Quit being Plumbers we need the angled nose piece to make it work where can we get one?
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              the idea I was thinking of trying was to take a 1/4 pipe and put a fitting on one end of the pipe to hold the shape, and then heat the pipe and carefully bent it around a shaft to get the curve and end up with a U in the pipe, and then cut off and rethead it to the location where I would want to hook up the hose,

or just take a block of steel and drill and tap and then drill a couple of internal passages, and then shape it like the boughten unit, have not had time to spend on working on it,
              That what I was thinking also. I even found a piece of extra heavy steel in the warehouse to use.

But then I found a couple of street ells and my laziness kicked in

I hope Ridgid doesn't think that I'm trying to undercut their business. I just wanted to test this design out a few times to see how well it works. No one I know has a Root Ranger to borrow. If it works half as well as I expect it to, I will dish out the money for the real deal.

I think Bill is just building those things for fun

Cuda I have seen the nose piece available as a separate part. Still nearly $200 I look for the link when I'm more coherent.

Comment

Working...
              X