Hard 90 degree turn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard 90 degree turn

Just got back from a call with clogged main line, cleanout in the front yard, cap is missing.
    I look down in with a flashlight, after a quick run through with the general mini rooter to lower the water level and realize that they didn't use a combo, they used a san-tee. I've got my k-7500 out, and had the Worst luck getting it to make the turn, But I sure cleaned the bottom of that san tee.

How would you guys handle this? I ended up spending a lot of time with a peice of threaded rod trying to poke the head over far enough to make the turn, but if this had been a deeper cleanout I'd have had much less luck with that.

I tried using a regular C cutter, a spade, and even no head at all. turns out I don't have a drop head on this truck, for that machine not sure if it would have done me any good.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: Hard 90 degree turn

How deep was the cleanout? I usually use my curb key to guide the cable. Also a flexible leader would've helped out alot. I've also found that gentle, constant pressure is better than ramming the cable when trying to go through a tight fitting.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

1-1/2"-2" PVC guide pipe with a 22 or 45 on the end.

J.C.

Comment

4'' san tee should have been no problem. especially since you were able to see what was ahead of you.

a 2' leader with a slight bend is always a good choice as this will allow you to easily guide the front cutter the direction you want.

it also allows the cutter to scrape the side walls better as you typically don't run a 4'' cutter into a 4'' line. the front offset allows for the eccentric offset to scrape.

it's not uncommon for me to run 2 ways through a san tee. blind i will go downstream, and with a little guidance i can go upstream.

a comby is almost impossible to go upstream without a jetter.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

it was only about 3 and a half feet deep, but it still kicked my butt.

a flexible leader is a good idea, I take it that's something I can get from my supplier without much trouble?
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

also, i should have clarified, it was a 3" santee, it was pvc, but an older install.

Comment

We have used electrical string tied an inch or so behind the head/cutter. It will help pull the 90 Once it has made the bend we cut the string. We do not run the machine unless the string has been cut. Once it is cut it will wrap up on the cable as you run it.

Comment

Working...
              X