Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4" root cutter

Good morning,
    I have a Ridgid K-400 that does a wonderful job keeping my 4" sewer line flowing in my 4 plex apartment building in Burbank, Ca. I find that by cleaning out the main 4" line every 6 months without fail; cutting those nasty Chinese Elm Tree roots, this line remains free and open. Using a 3/8 x 100 cable, and plenty of water while running this machine, it never fails me. My question is though, where do I find a bigger root cutting head? When I bought mine new, I purchased a 2" cutter head but would like to go to a 3 1/2 to 4". I've learned that patience is the key to good cutting and cleaning. Feed forward until you hit something; let it run for awhile, back it out and remove debris; back into hole. May take a while longer, but never gets "stuck" in the line. Thanks
    Last edited by DeltaBob; 08-18-2009, 12:53 PM. Reason: Decided to make my own out of sawsall blade modified

Re: 4" root cutter

Originally posted by DeltaBob View Post
    Good morning,
    I have a Ridgid K-400 that does a wonderful job keeping my 4" sewer line flowing in my 4 plex apartment building in Burbank, Ca. I find that by cleaning out the main 4" line every 6 months without fail; cutting those nasty Chinese Elm Tree roots, this line remains free and open. Using a 3/8 x 100 cable, and plenty of water while running this machine, it never fails me. My question is though, where do I find a bigger root cutting head? When I bought mine new, I purchased a 2" cutter head but would like to go to a 3 1/2 to 4". I've learned that patience is the key to good cutting and cleaning. Feed forward until you hit something; let it run for awhile, back it out and remove debris; back into hole. May take a while longer, but never gets "stuck" in the line. Thanks

Don't put a 4 inch cutter head on a 3/8 cable your asking for trouble.
    any sewer in my opinion and a professional one at that. 100 feet should be no less than 11/16 cable
    50 feet or less 5/8 cable
    You will flip that 3/8 cable in the sewer Line hurt yourself and have to dig the sewer trying to retrieve your cable. 3/8 cable is used for 2 inch kitchen sinks, 2 inch floor drains etc. Find your self a used K-60 I hear it's the safest machine to use.

The more you run that 3/8 cable the softer it will become and flip on you.
    K-400 is NOT for sewers
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Bob what UnClogNH is saying is very true

I know that the box and write up says you can use on larger lines,

and I have done exactly what you described, with a K 380, and was lucky as well,

I ended up buying a used K 750 and there is not even a comparison on the two when working on larger lines,

at the minimum and still very Iffy get the 1/2" cable,

the K 380 / 400 is not a root machine. (and IMO Ridgid should make that clear),

I know this is not what you wanted to hear.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        Bob what UnClogNH is saying is very true

I know that the box and write up says you can use on larger lines,

and I have done exactly what you described, with a K 380, and was lucky as well,

I ended up buying a used K 750 and there is not even a comparison on the two when working on larger lines,

the K 380 / 400 is not a root machine. (and IMO Ridgid should make that clear),

I know this is not what you wanted to hear.

Only if it's a short run less than 30 feet with the 1/2 even that being said 1/2 cable should only be handled by an experienced tech and would not be their choice. Still high risk of flip over.
        1/2 inch cable is for 3-2 inch lines or smaller.

Please take BHD's and my advice. We are trying to help you not hurt yourself and save you from a major nightmare.
        Last edited by UnClogNH; 08-18-2009, 02:54 PM.
        Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Good morning,
          Why are you cleaning this line every six months?
          I would sugest Root X or a similar product.
          I agree with every one else a k -380 is not a "main line" " Sewer" (what ever else people call them) Machine. The k-380 is a great machine for apartments just not designed to do mains.

Comment

You are using a machine that is for "soft Stoppages"! It is not for any type roots! Call a plumber or a Drain Cleaner and i can assure you that they will use the proper machine to clean the line (like the k-60)

Comment

Jet it and start a using root killer,

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
                Jet it and start a using root killer,
                Think this guy just want's to DIY it.
                Good luck to him I get more calls from people that rent machines and get rapped up.
                Rod

Comment

bob, you're in the industrial textile business

i'm in the plumbing and drain cleaning business

burbank is close enough to me to make it worthwhile for me to trade you some professional drain cleaning for some industrial textiles

don't know what i can do with industrial textiles but i know once you see the difference in using the proper machine, you'll buy it and save yourself the potential for serious injury or a broken cable/ machine.

the 3/8 / 380/400 machine is not a root or a 4'' machine. that's why there are no cutters for it in the catalog.

sure you can adapt anything, but some pretty smart engineers and attorneys at ridgid didn't list it for a reason

rick.

p.s. serious about the demo/ trade
                  phoebe it is

Comment

After dealing with licensed plumbers and getting royally screwed, I decided to do it myself. Some of your guys think you deserve $150 plus an hour to snake a 30' 4" sewer line that sits 4 ft below the surface, (takes less than a half hour to do it) but charged the hourly rate. If it breaks, it will be easy to dig up and the Mexicans in front of Home Depot are hungry. However, I will take your advise and find a bigger machine. Thanks

Comment

After dealing with licensed plumbers and getting royally screwed, I decided to do it myself. Some of your guys think you deserve $150 plus an hour to snake a 30' 4" sewer line that sits 4 ft below the surface, (takes less than a half hour to do it) but charged the hourly rate. If it breaks, it will be easy to dig up and the Mexicans in front of Home Depot are hungry. However, I will take your advise and find a bigger machine. Thanks
                      I am Sorry the guys on here have to EAT . Think about it you are asking some one to drive to your place. spend their gas pit mileage on their vehicle. Come with a service truck that is well STOCKED. Lug heavy equipment in to your home than in to your basement. Here is the kicker.........

YOU ASK THEM TO PLAY IN HUMAN WASTE.

Are You expecting some one to do a job like by the minute?
                      I wish you luck with your problem. keep hanging out on this site and you will learn a lot
                      Last edited by handybull; 08-19-2009, 03:19 PM. Reason: gramar corrections

Comment

What do you think it costs to operate a business? It's not free.
                        Factor in advertising, Gas, travel, Insurance, workmen's comp Ins and tools, vans etc. Paying the Plumber a pay check every week. $150 to be exposed to you and the other tenant's fecal matter.

You work for textile I'm sure you get paid by the hour. But your company still charges full price for their product. What's the difference other than plumbers have to drive to you house?

Takes less than an hour to do it I guess he forgot it can take an hour just to drive to the job site. There's 2 hours now

For your smart azz remark about hungry Mexicans.
                        I hope your fingers get wrapped up in the cable.
                        Talk about getting screwed by plumbers. Your screwing over the American work force by hiring illegals

Sorry Plumber Rick & Ridgid Forum Members if I seem out of line. But people like this strike a nerve

DeltaBob Good job at being a Home Depot know it all and buying the wrong machine for the job Nice $500 dollar mistake
                        Last edited by UnClogNH; 08-19-2009, 01:45 PM.
                        Rod

Comment

I think this thread should become a sticky on "ask the plumbing experts". Here's a perfect example of what not to do. Frickin' slumlords.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Easy there, deltabob. No need to be that way.

Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna finish my sammich and be on my way. Lots of people to royally screw yet today.

Comment

then get yourself a used K-60, 5 sections of 7/8 cable, a spiral saw auger, and go for it. less chance of injury or worse and you can probably resell it without a great loss

steve
                              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X