X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jetting Septic Drain Feilds

Talk to Jrsaltz, he claims to of had great success jetting the lines. Keep in mind that he probably has the biggest jetter out of any of the ridgid members.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

You can buy oxidizers to break up the bio-mat. Cape Cod Biochemical sells one called Aftershock. It does the oxidizing and restores bacteria all in one shot. I've never used it. I've had pretty good luck restoring drainfields with the jetter when the lines are full of sludge. I don't jet tile drains though. I got stuck a couple of times doing it. I got lucky enough to get free each time, but learned my lesson. I figure if it's tile it should be replaced with a system that meets code anyhow as it's gotta be 40 years old at least.
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

So, forgive my delayed response to this and any other threads i reply to that are fairly dated. I have been off the radar for a while for a few different reasons but I am back and looking to contribute where I can!

In regard to jetting septic fields, we do it all the time with typically positive results in our area. It is nearly fool proof with a gravel system that has plastic fluted pipe. We dig the D-Box and jet all the way around from there while a pumper vacuums with a two inch hose and then video inspect with great results.

If its a clay tile system it can be a bit more complex. These all typically have dead ends right into the soil which makes for a very dangerous situation when jetting. Often times we find heavy tree root intrusion blocking the tile close to the D-Box and we can jet them out to allow for flow past that area and onto the rest of the leach field. If it is not operating properly and there are no roots in the line its all over! We recommend a new field.

With the fluted pipe we are able (most times) to blast up into the holes in the pipe and loosen biomat and flush it out. Every one that we have done so far with this type of system (gravel w/fluted pipe) is still working fine. Each one of these systems were recommend for replacement by local septic installers without any other option. Luckily I have an in with one of them and he offers the option for me to asses things before a final decision is made. Most times we can determine things one way or another pretty quickly.

A aeration system in the tank in addition to jetting the field is also like a double positive. Not cheap, but always cheaper than a new system and all the disruption.

Again, this is not for everyone as every situation is different. I have argued my case on this before and I can only speak from my experiences and they have been mostly successful. Way more so than not.
        www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

I jetted one today. Tile drainfield. I got roots out of 3 of the lines and a bunch of sludge. The problem we are having right now is too much rain. The ground is super saturated, so we had water running back from 3 lines still. However, the water was dirty so I'm thinking once the ground water recedes, that this drainfield will be in good shape. I jetted the CI pipe coming to the d box too. It was plugged solid. The installer is installing two opposing cleanouts in it for easy access next time.

I hope all this works as its an old couple with limited money and a small lot. They'd be looking at a $20,000 system if this one fails.
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I know this is an old post but bear in mind, jetting only works in standard pipe and gravel systems. If the system is a dome chamber system such as Infiltrator or ADS, jetting will only be effective at clearing the pipe to the field but will do very little once the nozzle reaches the chambers.

We regularly jet drainfields (using a subcontractor who owns a large jetter) and have had good results.

Comment

Working...
            X