X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetting Septic Drain Feilds

Have a friend who is on a septic and there drain feild is shot, theyve been getting the tank pumped every 6 months, they do not want to pay for a new drain feild because the city is bringing in sewer in a year or 18 months, While i was at the pumper show last year i heard some guys talking about jetting drain feilds to by some time, has anybody tried this or have any input ?
    Thanks
    John

Re: Jetting Septic Drain Feilds

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
    Have a friend who is on a septic and there drain feild is shot, theyve been getting the tank pumped every 6 months, they do not want to pay for a new drain feild because the city is bringing in sewer in a year or 18 months, While i was at the pumper show last year i heard some guys talking about jetting drain feilds to by some time, has anybody tried this or have any input ?
    Thanks
    John
    Depends on what's going on and what kind of system/components.

Literally a dozen kind of systems that have probably been put in all over.

I have no experience at all trying this but have repaired many systems. I can't wrap my head around it being able to do much good unless maybe a jetter could clear the holes in some of the lines from roots or biomat. Seems like that would flood the field even if it opened up to accept some water.

Each situation is different. Most of the time people are better off financially to keep, maintain, or repair a private system.

J.C.

Comment

Acording to the house plans (Built in 1970) there is a d-box and from what I gathered at the pumper show they were jetting each leg out of the d box and pulling back all the roots and bio material then suck it out the box with a vac truck, these people are just trying to get buy for anothjer year until they can hook up to city sewer.

Comment

No harm done by giving it a shot... be wary of d-boxes; best to dig them up, take the top off, and jet from there as it is pretty easy to get a nozzle caught in the thing tyrying to jet through it working from the tank. Depending how the field is laid out it may be difficult to get into all the branches.

There are a number of field revitalization techniques. I have heard of treating with peroxide, hydro-fracture, and putting aerators in the tank, but have no personal experience with success rate for any of them.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
          No harm done by giving it a shot... be wary of d-boxes; best to dig them up, take the top off, and jet from there as it is pretty easy to get a nozzle caught in the thing tyrying to jet through it working from the tank. Depending how the field is laid out it may be difficult to get into all the branches.

There are a number of field revitalization techniques. I have heard of treating with peroxide, hydro-fracture, and putting aerators in the tank, but have no personal experience with success rate for any of them.
          They are newer with all kinds of claims of making a field work again. Time will tell. The jetting and pumping of the D-box might work great, just no experience on my end.

Once again, it's cheaper to keep a properly designed private system. (At least here.)

Example: I know some people for a fact that pay roughly $30.00/month for nothing but sewer. No water. They were very eager to connect to sewer thinking it to be great because they would not have to maintain a private system. That's:

$30.00/month
          $360.00/year
          $1800.00 for 5 years.
          Here the tap fee was about $2000.00 5 years ago.
          Paying a licensed plumber to connect to the main. Fees vary. Let's estimate a $1000.00 just for the heck of it.

For my area that's a 5 year cost of:
          $4800.00

I've seen properly designed systems doing fine after 50 years. Pump the tank every 5 years for less than $500.00.

They could get some system repair estimates. Have to run the numbers but for here it's better to not connect to the city system money wise.

Just another opinion.

J.C.

Comment

If the drainfield is full of solids, give it a shot, but suck out the spoils with a vac truck. I've rejuvenated a few this way. So far as I know they are still working today. One has been at least 5 years.

If its full of water you are probably out of luck using the jetter as the soil is plugged with bio-mat. There are bacteria products that say they can remediate a failed drainfield, but I haven't tried them. http://www.capecodbiochemical.com/ Click on Aftershock. This one seems to be the easiest to use as it oxidizes and replaces the bacteria in one step. They claim it will break up the bio-mat. It's fairly expensive.

If the system is plugged with bio-mat or failing due to soil compaction a Terralift may help. I used to have one and it worked good on the right jobs. The soil can't be full of rocks and it needs to be on a fairly flat surface but it can break up the bio-mat and make the drainfield work again.

If you do decide to jet the drainfield, be carefull not to burrow out into the soil as there are no caps (at least around here) on the ends of the drainfield pipes.

If I can help more let me know.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I have done a couple and so far it seems to work. If you have a jetter then you need to get a jet vac attachment that connects to your jetter. It uses a venturi effect and will suck up just about anything. Uncover the d-box and have the tank and d-box pumped. Most septic tanks are 500 to 1000 gallon around here so now you have some place to put all your spoils. Jet each line coming off the d-box and anything you bring back vac up into the septic tank. When you do it this way you dont have to have a vac or septic truck there the whole time. Jet until you get mostly clear water back and vac what you can into the tank. I havent filled a tank completely up yet with water and spoils. Run water from a hose into the d-box and watch if it drains. I have had systems not draining at all to full flow just after doing this. I have one system still going after 3 years. Its also good to get the tank pumped again. I have recently started installing Aerostream systems after I do all of this in hope to completely rejuvinate a system but I dont have enough out there to make a conclusion yet.

Comment

Be careful not to get jetter stuck in end of line.
                Had to dig mine out last time.

Comment

Yeah, I've been real close!
                  www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Yes it works as we Jet Septic Systems all the time. Now that is if it was installed right in the first place.
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

We Jet Septic system system a coulpe of time a month. Jetting tells you alot. The hose should go in 50 to 100 feet. If not the line many be broken. Ask the pumper if water is coming back into the tank when they start to pump it down. See if there a vent at the end of the field.

If there is water in the vent that not good.

Beware of getting in tanks. They confined spaces. We use a tripod and a gas meter. Remember your life is worth more than the cost of some PPE. The old school way is to leave the pumper trucks hose in the tank to draw in fresh air.

Sometimes it works for ten years and some time for six months.

CYA. We are always up frount with the customer. There's a chance it will not work. A septic will only last 30 years or so.

Its good work for us. A new system starts at $16000 around here. Many people cant get another system if the old one fails. Jetting is a no brainer before replacement.

Comment

Re: Jetting Septic Drain Fields

In San Diego County if a septic system fails, and there is sewer available you have to connect to the sewer. If the sewer is not considered available to far away, too expensive to tie in ,you could repair your septic system. David

Comment

Me to get the tank pumped for every six months, I don't have idea about the new system. If you want your doubts to get clarified you can visit http://justrightplumbingla.com/ I am sure this going to help you.
                          Santa Monica House Plumbing Repair

Comment

we have jetted and augered roots many times from the d-box doing each branch . works well but yes know when your at the end of the line or your going to get stuck .

Comment

One guy I know off uses hydrogen peroxide the good stuff 30%-50% he buys at pool supply stores. And uses it to soften the biomat. Then lets it sit for a day and rinses it out. He does this to maintain leech fields and also when he jets them.
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                              X