Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from missouri

Hi all
    My name is Al and I own a sewer and drain service co in Sedgewickville missouri. I have been plumbing since my honorable discharge fron the marine corp in 1976. I did mostly new residential and light commercial till 1998 in maryland and the wash dc area. I moved to missouri and started doing commercial new work for 2 yrs and then went to work for a real jerk doing sewer lining. I didn't like ripping people off and I would get into it with my boss pretty often and ended up getting fired. I swore I would never have a boss again and opened my own sewer and drain service co in july of 2008. and now I am hungry and cold or hot depending on the season and hoping business will pick up but I would go live on the streets of st louis before I ever worked for anyone else again.
    Two men Have died for you. One is Jesus Christ the other is the american soldier. One died for your soul The other for your freedom.

Re: Hi from missouri

Hey Al Welcome
    Al is a really good guy have chatted with him many times.
    A real class act in my book
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Welcome Al! Slow times suck but then it always gets busy again. Are there some other services you could offer? Camera equipment can be rented if you don't have it and nowdays my camera's bring the jobs in, locating,finding problems and then fixing them! I think I would even buy a cheap camera to get started then move up to the Seesnake. But maybe you already have one?
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!

Comment

Hello from the Springfield area <.<
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Hello From NY

Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the forum Al.
              Pull up a chair.Kick your shoes off and stay a while.

I just went 14 days without a nickel.Last two weeks have been a lot better.
              Hang in there.With a little integrity and patience a good man's company makes it through many obstacles.
              Oh,by the way...Having friends on a plumbing forum to recipricate with does wonders as well.

ADAM

Comment

Welcome to the forum, same guy from PZ with the black dog?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hi Al, welcome!

We are seasonal in my area as well, the trick when small is to put enough back during the busy times that you are thankful when it slows a little. Once you start growing a little the real balancing act begins; enough staff and equip to give a good response in the hot times vs. keeping good guys paid in the slow times, all while trying to not take so much on yourself you burn out.

I'm starting to move into picking up small digs the bigger excavating outfits don't want in summer (our slow time) to keep guys busy as I've fallen into hiring a great guy with a lot of digger experience.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Hi al,
                    I feel your pain. I too started off very similar to you. Now I realize that every customer, as well as the misses & employees, are my boss, and has a direct impact on my career. When I started, I had an opportunity to be of service to a customer who was on a fixed income, but was known to a large part of the senior community to be an excellent baker. I charged her $20, 2-loaves of bread, and a homemade sandwich for lunch (ate it with her), in exchange for the service call (spent 1/2 day there, but that was my only job for the week).
                    Next thing I knew, I had a bunch of calls. I thought I screwed myself on pricing, then calls from their kids, other family members, and general referrals started to come in. I still give that type of rate to the seniors, but regular business has always been steady - Hang in there, and take care of the seniors - always
                    Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                      Welcome Al! Slow times suck but then it always gets busy again. Are there some other services you could offer? Camera equipment can be rented if you don't have it and nowdays my camera's bring the jobs in, locating,finding problems and then fixing them! I think I would even buy a cheap camera to get started then move up to the Seesnake. But maybe you already have one?
                      I have all the sewer machines, cameras, and jetter, just need a few more customers to use them on. don't want to mention brand names since this is a ridgid site, although some of them are ridgid. lol
                      Two men Have died for you. One is Jesus Christ the other is the american soldier. One died for your soul The other for your freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Welcome to the forum, same guy from PZ with the black dog?
                        yep thats me

Comment

Welcome to the forum Al
                          I usually see a spurt after the schools start,,
                          Kids will start to complain about things
                          if all kids are the same it should get better

Comment

Originally posted by bdp View Post
                            Hi al,
                            I feel your pain. I too started off very similar to you. Now I realize that every customer, as well as the misses & employees, are my boss, and has a direct impact on my career. When I started, I had an opportunity to be of service to a customer who was on a fixed income, but was known to a large part of the senior community to be an excellent baker. I charged her $20, 2-loaves of bread, and a homemade sandwich for lunch (ate it with her), in exchange for the service call (spent 1/2 day there, but that was my only job for the week).
                            Next thing I knew, I had a bunch of calls. I thought I screwed myself on pricing, then calls from their kids, other family members, and general referrals started to come in. I still give that type of rate to the seniors, but regular business has always been steady - Hang in there, and take care of the seniors - always
                            Bryan
                            I do offer the senior discount, military and vets discount and also people with handicap children discount.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X