Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those who charge a diagnostic fee?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question for those who charge a diagnostic fee?

As you know I live in a rural area such as you do. What I have started doing is I tell them there is a mileage charge for an estimate but I donate my labor time. With the price of fuel fluxuating so much right now most of the customers seem to understand and approve this. How much I charge per mile depends on the cost of fuel.
    Two men Have died for you. One is Jesus Christ the other is the american soldier. One died for your soul The other for your freedom.

Comment

Re: Question for those who charge a diagnostic fee?

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
      Question for those who charge a diagnostic fee?
      I have had rash of price shoppers asking how much for x bla bla bla 10 minutes on the phone. Why so much
      You could lower your price by $20 and still get people complaining. It's just part of the deal of being in the business IMO. Also, with the economy being what it is has a lot to do with it.

I don't want to give prices over the phone anymore or ball park prices. Could be competition feeling me out, handymen looking to see what they should charge or people just price shopping

I was thinking of charging a diagnostic fee to travel to job site
      You could take a credit card over the phone and charge $100 fee. A few unscrupulous "smell good" companies around here do it, but they also get sued a lot and are in court every other week for the numerous financial raping they commit on unsuspecting folks.

Seriously, If it's a rural area thing, only you know what to charge for your drive time and diagnosis. However, investing more than 30 mins. in a "potential" single job that may or may not result and not charging for your time if it doesn't cannot be good for the bottom line. I know it's cliche' to say but time is money.

Living and operating a service business in a highly populated area has its advantages.

For me, I know the properties in my area and I know my ability. There isn't much I run into that will trip me up. So in that, a stoppage is stoppage, I don't charge a diagnosis fee. If I go out to a job, there's gonna be a regular charge regardless so they might as well have me cable something. I always quote at least the minimum charge and let it be known that's as near as I can say the charge will be at the same time, give the various examples of why there could be additional charges. I never leave my customers in the dark or "spring" new charges on them. There are obviously some exceptions but 98% of my calls end up being exactly what I think they are. Being able to diagnose (over the phone) and recognize the symptoms are half the battle.

I also try not don't confuse the customer either with all the technicalities. That's a big turnoff
      and will lose me a job quickly.

Comment

Working...
      X