Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you bill this ?

Here's the scenerio.
    You show up to a customers house, to unclog a sewer lateral, they have you run a cable down the line and you unclog the drain and bring back a bunch of roots, so they have you camera the drain and its clay/cement pipe with roots in 70 % of the joints, so you tell them how your Jetter will remove all of the roots and do a better job than a cable, so they have you jet the line and recamera to verify youve got all the roots, How would you bill this ? would you bill for the Cable, Camera and jetter or just camera andthe upsell on the jetter ?

Re: How would you bill this ?

hopefully you already determined that before you did the jetting and camera work.

you took care of the initial problem with the snake.

you gave them an option to do a more thorough job with the jetter option.

so if they told you to go ahead at that point, i would eat my snake machine charge, not my labor charge.

if they told you they will think about it and called you back a week later, then i would bill for both jobs at the discussed price you quoted.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I'm going to agree with Rick here, same day, don't charge for the drain machine, just the labor.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Without knowing the particulars of how you bill it's tough to opine on this. The work you did is the work you did and you deserve to be compensated for it. I feel the way to handle this type of situation is to bill for the drain cleaning then suggest additional work you believe is needed. If you want to give them a break on the additional work it should be on a case by case basis.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have to disagree with rick on this one. If you had not ran the snake in the line you would not have been able to run the camera in there in the first place. the way i usually do it is this way. I run the snake in the line to open the sewer then I ask them if they want me to camera the line which I will do for half price of a regular camera job since I am already on site. If I see the probelm and can do a better job with the jetter then I offer to do the jetting again for half price of a regular jetting call because I am already on site. If I have to come back while they make up thier minds then they will get charged full price. Then I offer them my preventive maintenance program which is, I will come in every 6 months or 1 or 2 yrs and snake and camera the line. or I offer jetting and camera which is a little bit more. You did the work and you used your machine so you should get paid for it.
          Two men Have died for you. One is Jesus Christ the other is the american soldier. One died for your soul The other for your freedom.

Comment

I agree with alsdrainservice, if you did not run the sewer machine down the line first then you would not been able to televise the sewer to inform them of the issue. I would of gotten paid for the rodding and camera work, and then charged for the jetting when it was done. Its wear and tear on your cable machine that you had to do in the first place. may as well get paid for it.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

By the hour

Your rate x amount of hours

Time is Money, #1 rule in any business.

You don't get paid for your time, You become a statistic

(80% of business fail in first 5 years)
              Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
              New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

If they want it done same day I tell them they get half the cable price plus full price of the jetter. If they wait then they get full price on the cable job and full on jetter if I come back. Flat rate on both.

Comment

I can see Al, Ricks and Mark's point of view on this. I can see where if you are trying for an up sell then offering to waive the cable cost would be some incentive for the customer to say yes. Al is doing basically same sales technique offering a discount for services as an incentive to make more money. Just offering different discounts one way or another. I agree that as an incentive to get the job while your there instead of later to offer some sort of discount it basically sales 101.

Comment

Originally posted by alsdrainservice View Post
                    I have to disagree with rick on this one. If you had not ran the snake in the line you would not have been able to run the camera in there in the first place. the way i usually do it is this way. I run the snake in the line to open the sewer then I ask them if they want me to camera the line which I will do for half price of a regular camera job since I am already on site. If I see the probelm and can do a better job with the jetter then I offer to do the jetting again for half price of a regular jetting call because I am already on site. If I have to come back while they make up thier minds then they will get charged full price. Then I offer them my preventive maintenance program which is, I will come in every 6 months or 1 or 2 yrs and snake and camera the line. or I offer jetting and camera which is a little bit more. You did the work and you used your machine so you should get paid for it.
                    I agree with Al I do the same half prices on second services. Amazing how many people still Turn down the camera at half price. Even with massive amounts of pulp clogs due to sag in sewer.
                    One section of roots maybe will not recommend camera but will try RootX 2-3 or more sections of roots it needs the camera. Many still turn down the RootX Preventative maintenance contracts have been turned down too
                    Tuff selling up around here.
                    Rod
                    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                    http://unclognh.com
                    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
                      Here's the scenerio.
                      You show up to a customers house, to unclog a sewer lateral, they have you run a cable down the line and you unclog the drain and bring back a bunch of roots, so they have you camera the drain and its clay/cement pipe with roots in 70 % of the joints, so you tell them how your Jetter will remove all of the roots and do a better job than a cable, so they have you jet the line and recamera to verify youve got all the roots, How would you bill this ? would you bill for the Cable, Camera and jetter or just camera andthe upsell on the jetter ?

Bill them for each step of the job including Cable, Camera, and Jet

Comment

Working...
                      X