X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting $tuck

On cables and cameras, does the customer pay for the dig,and damaged tools ??
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Getting $tuck

My attitude is that, at that point, the dig needs to happen regardless. So do the dig, and be there to see what it shows, and preferably have the owner/responsible party there as well. The dig will show what it will show, and if it is on you it is on you, and if not there is no denying it. Eat your ****-ups and it will come back to you tenfold, not to mention you get the luxury of feeling like a good person (and, it never works out that I have to eat it... experience shows that if I'm stuck it's for a reason).
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I agree every time ive been stuck to the point i cant get out, its been because it was time to dig it up anyways,

Comment

all part of being in the business.

i'll warn a customer in advance if i feel it's too risky.

fortunately i've never had to collect on my warnings

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

If "I" did something wrong then it's on me but omg! Santi's on there back,years upon years of drano on cast iron,major seperations well you get the point but only you guys get the point the average person does not know plumbing and won't have a clue they just think " we have had it snaked 20 times (read long time problem that got worse) and it always cleared, you must have done something wrong" They will blame you the drain cleaner after all a snake fixes everthing right? Now I sound like Dunbar huh?
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Try to Explain to every customer. Before I attempt to snake the possibility of getting the cable stuck. Please Sign waiver before attempt is made. Pipe had problems before we arrived or you would not have called.

1. If it's first time out on this job site you don't know the condition of the sewer Back up can be caused by anything roots collapsed pipe etc.
            You can't camera if sewer is backed up your going in blind.

2. Never force your way into and through blockage. I find this done by many who rent machines Or flat rate techs trying to clear problem as fast as they can to get to next job. Not saying you all do it. But my time with RR I had to dig many out our help the un jam their cables because they were in a rush.

3. Stick and move. Pull your cable back from time to time to make sure your not digging into ground or to much root. An extra 15-20 minutes on the job can possibly save you hours of headache.
            Last edited by UnClogNH; 08-26-2009, 03:44 PM.
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Do the Dig and retrieve your stuff, "IF" they don't want to pay for the dig and repair fill the hole in and leave

It`s the chance we take sticking things in dark holes that we cant see down

Damaged tools is on you for not knowing when enough is enough.
              You can get stuck and not damage anything if you know when to STOP!
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

We have in our hold harmless agreement a line that says if any of our equipment becomes stuck, the cost is that of the property owners to retrieve our equipment. It is signed before the start of each job. So far we have been lucky enough to not get stuck. We have been really close a few times but have been able to get it free.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                  Try to Explain to every customer. Before I attempt to snake the possibility of getting the cable stuck. Please Sign waiver before attempt is made. Pipe had problems before we arrived or you would not have called.

1. If it's first time out on this job site you don't know the condition of the sewer Back up can be caused by anything roots collapsed pipe etc.
                  You can't camera if sewer is backed up your going in blind.

2. Never force your way into and through blockage. I find this done by many who rent machines Or flat rate techs trying to clear problem as fast as they can to get to next job. Not saying you all do it. But my time with RR I had to dig many out our help the un jam their cables because they were in a rush.

3. Stick and move. Pull your cable back from time to time to make sure your not digging into ground or to much root. An extra 15-20 minutes on the job can possibly save you hours of headache.
                  whenever I hit a hard stoppage I always put my machine in neutral and let it eat at it for a few minutes then try going in a little further,if it doesn't go in after a few attempts I pull it out and look at the head to see if it has mud on it or if the metal in shiny.
                  Two men Have died for you. One is Jesus Christ the other is the american soldier. One died for your soul The other for your freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                    Do the Dig and retrieve your stuff, "IF" they don't want to pay for the dig and repair fill the hole in and leave

It`s the chance we take sticking things in dark holes that we cant see down

Damaged tools is on you for not knowing when enough is enough.
                    You can get stuck and not damage anything if you know when to STOP!
                    Haven't read entirely through this thread but.....
                    Ding Ding. We have a winner.
                    And if you go to court, all things being normal, the judge is gonna say the same thing.

My old shop manager had to go to court a good many times in vain attempting to get paid on invoices because of some over zealous yahoo, charging Mrs. Smith for his time and material to retrieve his cable. 9 times out of 10, it worked out in favor for the customer. And forget it if the customer had another company come out and was able to get through the line and or get the stuck cable out.

Occasionally, we'd have a guy snap off his cable and just leave it in the line. That's a BIG time no-no.

Bottom line is...you better be damn sure the line is damaged in such a fashion to warrant charging for digging it up. If it gets to this level of legal action, judges aren't dumb. They almost always rule in favor of the customer unless sufficient evidence exists to the contrary. I'm not discounting the fact that consumers need to also do their homework, but if you get into this situation, better be prepared to back it up. BTW, arguing that there were "too many roots" won't cut it. We're supposed to be drain cleaners and able to sufficiently clean a given line to inspect the condition of it. If it's determined that as a result of roots it's broken, has severely offset joints, negative fall, a belly or installed illegally, then yeah, you might have a case. Not usually because of the roots themselves though.

Fortunately, I've only been in one such situation where I couldn't get my cable out. Got hung up in a septic tank inlet. Thankfully, it was a job for a friend and we just agreed to dig it up.

That's my experience, yours may vary.

Comment

When I get stuck, which is very rare, but when it does happen I explain to the customer that its their broken pipe that got me stuck in the first place and it just means its time to dig and make a proper repair.

If they start to harp on me about me sticking my rodder in the line and getting it stuck in their sewer, I explain to them they paid me to stick my rod in to their sewer in attempt to clear an obstruction and or to figure out why they are having clogging issues. Now they need to either pay me or someone else to dig up the sewer remove the stuck rodder and make a proper repair to the broken pipe.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Yea stuck is part of this business, but there is stuck that happens to a pro and stuck that happens because the person was not a pro and thank god for camera's if I have to prove it to a new customer. National rooter places sending out 2 week trained noobs that use too small of cable or just plain force it to get stuck, jetters ran down unknown bad lines etc. Pros don't want their equipment damaged or dug up we pay for this stuff.
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Getting stuck in a sewer is no different then running cable in a drain and popping outside it because it should have been replaced 10 years ago.

Many people that have sewer problems have know abolut those problems for years and continue to just brush off the repair and have it temporarly cleared.

How is this my fault if I get stuck? You called me with a problem, I tried to do my best to clear it, and this is what happened.

I got hung up in a sewer theother day, it took me 45 minutesd and 2 bottles of dish soap to get it out, the customer has been "clearing his mainline" for 18 years, I pulled back 3/8" roots, and larger with my drum machine. As soon as I cleared that stoppage, I bound up big time, I wasn't just pushing cable carelessly.

Yes, I do feel bad if it comes to a dig, but sometimes I can't do anything about it.

Like I said, you had the problem when you called me, I came to try and fix it, I'm sorry you waited to the very last moment to repair it, I'm sorry you knew about your problem for 15 years, you knew it was coming, and now I have to get my cable out....
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                          X