Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I wanted to try a sled machine for the first time?

If a guy wanted to try out a sled machine for the first time what would you all reccomend???

I would especially be happy if someone who's used a sled and Spartan 1065 both extensively could give me some opinions and comparasons.

I've used a Spartan 1065 for my entire adult life and I'm tired of looking at it, I'd like to try something new, and the other drum machines have left me disappointed.

Does any sled machine have the kick-buttery I'm looking for?

Re: If I wanted to try a sled machine for the first time?

I feel like I'm setting myself up here, but here it goes.
    Whats a "sled" machine
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Sled machine-kinda like a gorlitz, mytana or duracable? Get the job done but I find them akward.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        I feel like I'm setting myself up here, but here it goes.
        Whats a "sled" machine
        This style of machine not like an upright style
        I personally like the sled style more of a stable platform on soft ground and can sit it upright to do over head drains.

Lot less wobble at long distance. Seen 2 people run an upright 1 to holding the machine down one to run the cable.

Attached Files
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Sled machine-kinda like a gorlitz, mytana or duracable? Get the job done but I find them akward.

Yup like a duracable or gorltiz, I wasn't sure if mytana made one or not.

Comment

Check out these guys
            www.coastmanufacturing.com
            all my cable machines are from these guys, been running the same three machines for 8 years never had a pronlem other than a broke bearing on a autofeed.

Comment

I really like my Mytana sled machine. I don't think you will buy one and say Oh goll how did I get by with out it. unless you have staires or need to add cable. The drum comes off easily. thats the big benifit to me.

Comment

The Mytana has a thumbolt to loosen and the cable comes off in a second!It is truly a sled,I have ridden it down a few snowy hills to get to some back yards!
                I can only speak to the mytana on this one,Quiet and plenty of power.Makes short work of adding additional reels of cable.It's low profile gets a guy in some spots the Ridgid7500 is too tall for.
                Last edited by Jay Mpls; 08-26-2009, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Just a thought...probably not the best website to get well rounded opinions on the type of machine your inquiring about. I think most everyone here either runs a sectional or an upright drum or a combo of both, while only a handful use the "sled" type.
                  That said, Coast and Gorlitz are my personal choice.

gj may find them awkward, but I feel the same about sectionals, mainly because I started out on sleds about 18 years ago and am comfortable with them and know the limits and capabilities.
                  Last edited by Twicepipes; 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM.

Comment

I think sleds are good for speed. I used to have a General, and the small drum made it really hard to drag cable out by hand. But I watched a guy from Roto using a sled and because the drum is larger it looked easy to throw it into the drain and drag it back out again. Autofeeds may be useful, but if you want to get the job done more quickly, you throw the cable in until it hits the clog and you can be done in fifteen minutes sometimes.

I use the K-60, and of course it isn't built for speed. Takes a while just to get the cables and hose and machine and tarps set up. But of course I like it for other reasons. You can get a Mytana with 120' of cable and then you just have to be able to lift it. Not too bad on flat ground, but stairs or hills aren't so much fun. Forget roofs. (rooves?)

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                      Just a thought...probably not the best website to get well rounded opinions on the type of machine your inquiring about. I think most everyone here either runs a sectional or an upright drum or a combo of both, while only a handful use the "sled" type.
                      That said, Coast and Gorlitz are my personal choice.

gj may find them awkward, but I feel the same about sectionals, mainly because I started out on sleds about 18 years ago and am comfortable with them and know the limits and capabilities.
                      Yeah, I amazed at how many guys are talking about sectionals here, I have known only two guys in all my years in this area who used sectional/power head type machines. I couldn't imagine making that transition, it might be fun to try one though.

Here all the guys who came from the Rotorooter camp, tend to use sleds, and the rest tend to use uprights, and mostly Spartans.

Comment

I have been looking at getting a medium machine or big machine and have been thinking about a sled style. What is the weight difference between them and an upright machine?

Comment

Last Ro-ro I've seen used a Ridgid 7500.
                          They don't seen to hire english speaking guys around here these days for drain cleaners.No slam on any one,just an observation.
                          Being in Minne..Mytana is just out our back door.Good guys and have been dealing with them since they were in their old cramped building.The front door looked like an entrance to a massage parlor!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterplumberKC View Post
                            Yeah, I amazed at how many guys are talking about sectionals here, I have known only two guys in all my years in this area who used sectional/power head type machines. I couldn't imagine making that transition, it might be fun to try one though.

Here all the guys who came from the Rotorooter camp, tend to use sleds, and the rest tend to use uprights, and mostly Spartans.
                            I came from RR camp and I hated them nickel and dime bastids
                            Run both sectional and sled. Hand drill and small drum machine.
                            What ever makes the job easier.
                            Having both types gives you an advantage in speed and skills.

With the uprights what do you do if the clean out is shoulder high or higher? Never used one.
                            Rod
                            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                            http://unclognh.com
                            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                              I came from RR camp and I hated them nickel and dime bastids
                              Run both sectional and sled. Hand drill and small drum machine.
                              What ever makes the job easier.
                              Having both types gives you an advantage in speed and skills.

With the uprights what do you do if the clean out is shoulder high or higher? Never used one.
                              Guide tube.

Comment

Working...
                              X