X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetting to unclog?

Around here there is a company that only uses jetting to unclog drains and clean them. They have a system that is built into their vans so it's an all in one unit with remote control. Actually a pretty nice setup. They charge 180 bucks to clean a drain and I have seen them charge 220 to clear a drain plus 100 for camera work.

Anyways, does anyone on here use jetting to unclog drains? They use it for EVERY drain. We only use the jetter after the pipe has been opened by a cable. Otherwise you get water all over the place. Is there some secret technique that we're missing out on?

Re: Jetting to unclog?

I don't know many (Aussie) plumbers who clears drains with anything else than a Jetter! We have an old k1500b. Our 2nd year apprentice saw it recently in the back of the factory and asked what it was!!

Our Jetters stay on the truck and are operated via remote control and mini reels.

Not saying you guys are behind the times but I reckon we could teach you a thing or two about drain cleaning down under!

I've always said the right nozzle selection is the difference between clearing a drain or not!
    Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Back when I got my first little jetter 1200 PSI @ 1.2 GPM I jetted everything, kitchen sinks, bathtubs, lav sinks utility sinks urinals. Only thing I never jetted was a main line unless the line turned out to be sludged up, where the rodder would not open it easily.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I probably do 50 % Jetter and 50% cable work probably would do more jetting if it were not for orangeburg, those prices seem awfull cheep for jetting and camera work, thats around what i get for a cable job and my camera wont even leave the shop for $100

Comment

We use jetting on almost every job. If you jet against the flow toward your blockage you will prevent flooding in most cases. However, each application is different and going against the flow may not be possible. In that case, we use a forward firing nozzle to cut debris and push the flow away. We also try to clear the line with as little pressure as possible as this gives us lower flows at the same time preventing backup.

Comment

That is cheap but they hire bums off the street and have almost zero plumbing knowledge. I guess it's working for them because they've been in business for years now.

ANyways, what do you do if it's a kitchen sink drain and it's full of water? A mess is going to be made! I just don't see a way around it. Obviously though I have not done much jetting. We have a gas powered jetter, no clue on the power of it and also a small electric one. I usually use the small electric one for cleaning out sludge and whatnot after the blockage has been cleared (if the customer wants to pay more..).

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps a vacation to australia would be nice. I could stuff a few diapers down the drain at the hotel and get a free demonstration ;-)

Comment

Use the search feature on this board you will find a nice post with a movie showing using a bucket under a sink and the line being cleared with just a jetter. It takes practice and know how to get a routine that works. I tried it but nowdays I poke a hole with my snake then jet but that's just me. Ace Sewer is who made the movie clip as he uses almost only a jetter for his work. Look it up a picture is worth a thousand words.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

i use my jetter when i typically don't have to worry about a mess. typically outdoors and large root impeaded lines. with the proper nozzle, there is nothing a jetter can't clean.

but remember that a jetter is sized like a cable machine. a little electric jetter is only useful for a little tiny pipe. the largest flowing 2 h.p electric jetter is approx 2.1 gpm at 1500 psi. at these numbers, anything bigger than 2'' is not going to clean a pipe very good. plastic being the easiest to clean, copper next and cast iron and gal pipe being the hardest to clean.

remember that there is a giant difference in clearing a stoppage and cleaning a pipe.

anytime you open a stoppage, you cleared it.

but have you actually cleaned the line?

plastic is simple, lets see metal

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I find jetting a sink to be cleaner than a snake.... I't like anything, it's in how you do it.

I did back to back vanities yesterday where the onsite maintenance person had fought it for a while with a snake before calling me in. Packed up with black cast iron grit/sludge. When I got there it was a war zone; black smeared everywhere. I mopped before I would even go it the room to keep from tracking it out again. Done and out in 45 minutes, cleaner than when I arrived.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I have long dreamed of a truck mount with mini reel easily wheeled down basement steps (all jobs in michigan) opened the blockage-collect-leave-no wight no mess-60 day guarantee. My concerns sir:
                    1. 4 inch mains require what pressure and gpm and head/nozzel?
                    2. water is to be removed first/ or during operation of jetter using pump? vac? size type?
                    If the clog came back I would cable. But I thought 100 percent copper sulfate (1 lb) after opening and again 1 lb by homeowner 7 days later.
                    Goal-make it easy and light and cheap enough to work on volume say 10 a day @ 95 dollars Please advise to the "proper setup" to Austaliaize Motown

Comment

Most plumbers here use a van mounted 5000psi jetter, 5.5gpm with a remote mini reel so you can be 200' away from the problem with another 200' to use on your mini reel.

This will clear up to 6" and some 9" drains.
                      Don't remove water, just jet it till it clears!
                      Always use a root cutter are clearing then you won't have to return.
                      Copper sulphate only wirks with certain roots and has to be used monthly to have an effect.

Throw a camera down after every choke, show then the problem and give them an option to dig or return annually.
                      Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                      X