X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetter w/hot water

What are the thoughts on using a heater in conjunction with a jetter.

We have a portable jetter and were considering adding a heater to the jetter. Mainly for grease lines in restaurants.

I will admit we are relatively new to the jetter end of drain cleaning so any feedback is appreciated.

It just seems that our jetter is whipping up the grease into a mayonaise consistency and not fully washing out of the line...no as well as we expected anyway.

Re: Jetter w/hot water

Just seen this(posted 8/27/09)...

QUOTE=Boone Plumbing;248940]I used my hot water jetter today to clean kitchen stacks at an apartment building. I had the unit on the ground, and used a 150' jumper hose to the independant hose reeler. The hot water cleaned the pipes beautifully. I know most do not use hot water to clean, but for this type of application it seems to work perfect. I did the main line too. I put the camera down and the pipes look great.[/QUOTE]

But there wasn't much of a response so I'll let my post stand.

Comment

I still see jetting grease with hot water as a losing situation, it will recongeal further down the line, whereas the cold water will take a bit more work to flush the line, but the grease gets moved out in a form thats less likely to cause more problems later.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

The problem I am having is the grease does not break off in chunks. It turns to a foamy/frothy, thick, sticky consistency.

Comment

I have a heater on my jetting unit. Usually when i jet a line packed with grease, its comes loose in large chunks or logs. I remove them manually. Bottom line, i think jetters with heat cut through grease and sludge easier than just cold water and customers like to hear that i am "steam cleaning" the insides of their pipes.

Comment

I run a jetter w/o a tank; I tie into water on site. I will try to find a hot supply for grease... It does do better than cold. Best is a mop sink as I can then bleed in a little cold if the hot is too hot and might hurt the pump. I've been pretty brutal about feeding the pump hot water and don't ruin many, none directly attributable to the hot water. Most pumps are rated around 160F, and few hot supplies are much hotter than that. I'm in a cool climate; rarely over 80F ambient, usually much cooler.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

ace. when you use your little jetter (the one you made the video of) do you run hot tap water in it? thank you for video. i am slowly putting one together now. thank you. i use hot water when i use my k-38. after i put drain back together i run several sinks full of hot water. breid............

Comment

often hot, often mix to just warm... hot relaxes the hose and it gets more flexible, but sometimes that's not good as it also makes it more prone to kinking.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I've used Ace's method with my jetter at a meat packing plant. It seemed to move the grease down the line very well. It's true that the grease will congeal down line, if you are jetting to or from the grease trap there is nothing to worry about.

*Damn, now I have to go amend my post in the what you clean most thread.
                  www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                  X