X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain cleaning school?

anyone here ever heard of any formal training offered anywhere from either a school or a manufacturer? If not would I be first if I offered classes using say "Rick" if I can talk him into it?
    Seems like demand is there.

Re: Drain cleaning school?

Oh boy what you have done.

A.C.S. Had some thing going on with "Drain Cleaning 101"

Comment

Many Moons back Spartan Tool did one called "International Institute of Sewer & Pipe Cleaning" Ran by Erinie Weber. http://web.archive.org/web/200008230...institute.html
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

One of the members here has done one but we are still waiting for the review.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...n+Cleaning+101

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

You know it would be a nice option for those of us who would like to learn more and be able to expand our services without learning by our mistakes 100% of the time.

I learned septic pumping from my father and by attending trade shows and association meetings. I learned portable toilets by doing it myself and association meetings.

Is there an association for drain cleaners? If not, maybe there aught to be.

Drain cleaning school seems like a good idea.
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

there is plenty of knowledge to learn in drain cleaning and equipment.
            then there is the knowledge of knowing the plumbing system.

knowing how to properly and safely operate your equipment is very important.

but knowing what you're running into and system layout is even more important.

sure a plugged up fixture is pretty simple to figure out. it's when you get into multiple fixtures and multi tenant buildings that understanding the layout is critical.

choosing the proper machine, cables and cutters or jetter, hoses and nozzles is also critical.

of course a sewer camera is extremely helpful to help solve the problem drains.

so not only is knowing how to properly run a machine important, so is knowing what you're dealing with in the dwv system just as important.

remember that there is clearing a drain and there is cleaning a drain. they are not the same.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I knew how to clear a drain 30 years ago

Everything I learned about drain cleaning, I learned here.

Comment

Everything I learned about drain cleaning I learned from my father. Guys that used to work with my dad back in the day call me in to rod a main for them as they watch me I hear them say " You rod just like Bones (my dad)".

Thing about these guys they are in there 70's and still cleaning sewers with a Spartan 1065, only reason they call me is I have a camera and they know the one they call me on are tough blockages that recur to often, and they need to sell a repair. All I can say is I hope I am as active as these old timers are at the age 70, but rich enough not to have to be lugging rodders around anymore .
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I think it's safe to say that the majority of us have attended the school of hard knocks and sometimes more than once. To have an official school would be nice. It would put new employees in the field with the same starting level of knowledge. Then you can tailor them from there.

Comment

Heck this forum is probably the best drain school and info site there is.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

When I started my business in 1972 there was hardly any plumbers with sewer machines of any kind as the only way to clear them was with the manual rods or a dig up and when I bought my first Ridgid KM-1500 in 76 it was trail and error as the manual that came with it told you nothing, all you could do was just getting the feel of the cable as it rotated down the sewerage pipe and after a couple of kinked cables and destroyed cutters you began to get the message as for a drain cleaning school I`d hate to be the teacher if it was my equipment.

Tony

Comment

There are trade schools that teach some drain cleaning. I was at Wyotch recently teaching sewer line root control and they gave me a tour of the school. One of the things they teach is how to use a drum machine, I didn't see any sectionals but they teach them how to do tubs, commode flanges and mains. But then again they don't just teach drain cleaning.

You know there are a lot of trade shows out there that offer classes, I mean the PHCC alone in Cali has five trade shows in different cities. Why don't we find a way to talk with the different associations and have them offer classes on drain cleaning by some experienced pro's?

Comment

best school there is is on the job training with a good plumber. not some hack with a sewer machine that pokes a hole in the stoppage and calls it clean.
                          Two men Have died for you. One is Jesus Christ the other is the american soldier. One died for your soul The other for your freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                            There are trade schools that teach some drain cleaning. I was at Wyotch recently teaching sewer line root control and they gave me a tour of the school. One of the things they teach is how to use a drum machine, I didn't see any sectionals but they teach them how to do tubs, commode flanges and mains. But then again they don't just teach drain cleaning.

You know there are a lot of trade shows out there that offer classes, I mean the PHCC alone in Cali has five trade shows in different cities. Why don't we find a way to talk with the different associations and have them offer classes on drain cleaning by some experienced pro's?

This is the way to go. There are many associations that could offer the course. There needs to be a curriculum developed and a program to train the trainer so each course would be the same. The trade show setting wouldn't give you much time in a class but it would be a step in the right direction.
                            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                            X