X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot rodding , drano

Have the machines at home,not shop. Good remodel cust. sink blockage,said She used DRANO. Gave Her a gentle prod to stop this practice . Called Jerry Mac,conserned about My new power vee cables. Suggested I shop vac the drano water . Works Great. Ran bath down stream to help , cold water. Cable kept coming back hot until cleared. Is this the drano effect? . funny also shop vacked the job site toilet,soft blockage. Never used shop vac for this,works great. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP JERRY MAC . This Guy has a bag of tricks!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Hot rodding , drano

We use a shopvac a lot. It works good to clean sand out of the bottom of a trap. We also us it to vac out a trap pit full of water, to lower the water level to open a clean out. I would be carefull using it on water/drano mix. Depending on the amount of drano the vac will put any drano vapor into the air which could cause lung and eye irritation. We charge any extra fee for lines with drano in them to cover the additional wear on the cable. We do try to wash off the cable real good afterwards. We won't camera a line with drain cleaner in it. We will open the line and camera after a few days.

Comment

I always put on safety gear like safety glasses and a face shield, till I know the acid they used is neutralized. To neutralize the liquid drain cleaners I use baking soda, sprinkle it in to the drain in small amounts. till the foaming stops.

Now as for your cable if there was still large amounts of acid in the line be careful when you go to use it next, it may start to break like peanut brittle. If your cable does break have a look at the break itself if the break is not stressed more than likely its due to acid damage, if its stressed(looks like it tried to unwind first or kink) then it was just due to over torquing the cable.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
        I always put on safety gear like safety glasses and a face shield, till I know the acid they used is neutralized. To neutralize the liquid drain cleaners I use baking soda, sprinkle it in to the drain in small amounts. till the foaming stops.

Now as for your cable if there was still large amounts of acid in the line be careful when you go to use it next, it may start to break like peanut brittle. If your cable does break have a look at the break itself if the break is not stressed more than likely its due to acid damage, if its stressed(looks like it tried to unwind first or kink) then it was just due to over torquing the cable.
        Do the same thing here
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

i have never worn eye safety glasses just canves work gloves or heavy rubber if running
          though drain acids !
          after i was 30 years old i did wear my prescrition glasses i figured they whould protect my eyes !
          JERRYMAC
          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

will drano cause the water to heat ?
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I don't know about Drano, but around here a product called Thrift is pretty popular. They sell it at our supply houses, Our previous service plumber loved it, said it heated the pipe up dramatically.

of course, he also had acid burns all over his arm from having to rod a drain after attempting to use it.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                They sell it at our supply houses, Our previous service plumber loved it, said it heated the pipe up dramatically.
                IIRC, the directions on Thrift say to run hot water long enough to heat up the pipes before using it too.

Comment

Drano was dumped at 8 am. I was rodding at 5 pm. Cable was coming back real warm

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                    I don't know about Drano, but around here a product called Thrift is pretty popular. They sell it at our supply houses, Our previous service plumber loved it, said it heated the pipe up dramatically.

of course, he also had acid burns all over his arm from having to rod a drain after attempting to use it.

Thrift's main ingredient is sodium hydroxide which is not something to mess around with so I would be careful using it. If you guys use it I would suggest following these precautions:

"Solid sodium hydroxide or solutions of sodium hydroxide will cause chemical burns, permanent injury or scarring, and blindness if it contacts unprotected human or animal tissue. Protective equipment such as rubber gloves, safety clothing and eye protection should always be used when handling the material or its solutions.
                    Dissolution of sodium hydroxide is highly exothermic, and the resulting heat may cause heat burns or ignite flammables." (source: Wikipedia)

I would suggest these safety precautions when using any chemicals but especially when using a caustic chemical. Also many acid based products are increased by adding water to them. If you do get it on you use baking soda. Most importantly read the user safety recommendations.

Comment

Working...
                    X