New clean out for Neighbor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New clean out for Neighbor

I gave Him one of My elec. Jack hammers with a spade bitt, a few days ago. 1959 home clay
    lateral. Rick tanks for the H cut trick [ Hilti 14" gas saw still down] I sure ate a lot of red clay dust,no mask. next time mask, and a spray water bottle! Took about an hour. It was fun,His 4 year old ,Luke ,passed tools and hung with Us. He now knows where His Poo goes.
    He didn't eat any dust, I think
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: New clean out for Neighbor

The best part of that is that his son hung around and helped.

I have a son who is going on three. He loves it when I have to bring out the tools.

He will run to his room and get his tool belt. Kids are great when they want to help.

Comment

tool, i always try to use a snap cutter on clay just for that reason.

the only reason why i would use a grinder on clay is if i couldn't get a cutters chain under or around the pipe.

clay is simple to cut, but if it's locked into position with no play, then i make multiple cuts within my 2 outside cuts to allow for me to break the inner clay without damage to the outer cuts.

of course with the grinder you have play when you cut. but you also have too much dust or red splatter with water cutting.

cast iron in a ditch is typically a grinder as a snap cutter has a better chance of blowing out the pipe.

a dust mask, safety glasses and gloves are a must for a grinder. a spray bottle also helps control the dust and cool the blade.

a snap cutter is my first choice and a grinder is my second choice.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
        The best part of that is that his son hung around and helped.

I have a son who is going on three. He loves it when I have to bring out the tools.

He will run to his room and get his tool belt. Kids are great when they want to help.
        I had My Son on a roof [ with scaffolding] when He was 7 years old. He's now 38, We work together still. I'm blessed
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks Rick, I have 2 snap cutters. Nervous about clean cuts on old cast iron! I guess clay's age doesn't matter for clean cuts. Now I know, TANKS

Comment

I've screwed up some cast iron with a snap cutter. I'll try the grinder next time!

Nice to learn something new now and again.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

The only time I screwed the pooch with snap cutters is when I did not ensure it was in proper working order. AS long as the cutting wheels are all sharp, clean and free moving, along with all the links in the chain are free moving, no matter how old the cast iron or clay pipe it will cut clean.

Only once in my lifetime I had cast iron that would not cut properly with a good working pair of snap cutters, in that case the whole length of pipe needed replacing anyways.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
              X