X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOLY BAFFLE Batman!

Ever see a baffle like this? It's on a round tank.
    Camp ground camper dump is only access for over 300'. Oh, it gets even better. The camper dump is trapped. Trap is 5' deep.

Told owner tank inlet cover needs to be exposed so i can try to run up line. I suspected roots from nearby trees. I suspect it's a PVC line but Ive seen roots before (gotta' love the old timers that think primer is just a waste of $$)

Owner exposes tank and i start with my trusty 3" spiral root saw. 40'ish Hit dead stop and binding up a bit. Try arrow head, bind a bit then gain a foot and really bind. Get some good flow going but still can't gain distance even with arrow head. Suspect I'm going outside pipe.

Put camera in and find pipe crushed. Guy running rented hoe comes up with a pretty decent plan of digging a cross trench to find the pipe.
    I inform him, no need for that as I will locate the position of the camera.
    He looked at me like I had three heads.

Keep in mind, this is a camp ground. So we have an audience of *Q-tips(see below). They all start to smirk and mutter to each other. I locate and one old fella says "how sure are you that's where the pipe is?" "100%" I say.
    You should have seen the looks on their faces, trying to contain themselves from busting out laughing right in my face. Ahh, the non-believers. this is going to be funny, I think to myself.

While we are taking care of our equipment at the tank (a stockade fence separates us so I can't see whats going on) I hear digger say " holy crap look at the size of that rock" then " hey, theres the pipe".

We finish taking care of our stuff, come around the corner and and see locate and depth were dead on you would have thought I was their long lost friend. All of a sudden they are asking questions and patting me on the back. I went from zero to hero.

Anyway, I've never seen a baffle like this before. It's actually attached to the cover. It's an old school system, put in in the 70's.

*Q-tips. It's what we call a group of old folks around here. It comes from all the tour busses during leaf peeper season. A bunch white heads bobbing around in the bus with hair so white it's all you can see. Looks like a box of Q-tips on wheels.
    Attached Files
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: HOLY BAFFLE Batman!

Couple more pics
    Attached Files
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

That baffle is the damndest thing I've ever seen.
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I can understand the big rock crushing the pipe, but what is the baffle for? and it was located on the top of tank???

I'm not a plumber so don't laugh too hard at me.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
          I can understand the big rock crushing the pipe, but what is the baffle for? and it was located on the top of tank???

I'm not a plumber so don't laugh too hard at me.

G3
          Every septic tank has a certain amount of floating debris (being t.p. grease, tampon applicators etc..). Eventually this floating debris will buildup. If it builds up enough it will block the inlet pipe creating a clog.

The baffle is designed to create an area for the inlet to spill into, so the incoming sewer water pretty much goes under the layer of floating debris.

Comment

Working...
          X