X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Toilet augers

I have read mixed reviews on General drop head toilet augers.

I just purchased one and have used it only a few times and it has done the job.

I had been using ridgid augers for about 6 yrs and struggled many of times with them. So i thought i would give the general a shot!

The general auger all around seems much better put together.

Just would like your thoughts!

Re: Thoughts on Toilet augers

Ridgid makes a lot of great drain cleaning equipment. sadly their toilet augers are not among them.

Comment

I was having the same thoughts!

Comment

It does make me wonder why Ridgid has not made improvements to their toilet augers. The subject of their quality has been mentioned on this forum several times. just makes me wonder why nothing( at least that we know) is being done.

Comment

somebody must be buying them. probably homers. breid...............

Comment

copy right issues???

I mean, how do you improve/make unique, such a simple design?

I wonder who invented the toilet auger? Who ever it was, was a friggin' genius. Such a simple tool to complete such a difficult task.
            If it were invented yesterday it would have been power driven, have GPS, and be able to 'phone a friend'.

well, OK, maybe the power driven part wouldn't be so bad.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I have been using Generals for 29 yrs , I like them , they last along time , just bought the 6 ft one , it takes alittle to get use to when bringing it back

Comment

I used my new Ridgid drop head toilet auger to clean the trap out on a washer drain...It was tight and the head came off the end of it...
                We cut out the trap and changed it..my son had all the pipe parts and the head in trash before i looked at the auger , a few days ladder and saw that it could of screwed back on...

A small tack with a welder would have helped keep it together.

Comment

I never been a fan of any brand of drop head augers. Never felt a need for it. I have a Ridgid K-6 Auger. One thing I had to do is take a cold chisel and cut off the front part of the bulb auger so I can have a nice open hook. Ever since I done that I never had an issue retrieving anything that has been flushed down the water closet.

What I always enjoy is following up on a job where some handyman with a drop head auger tried to auger the water closet and was a bit to aggressive and busted out the up part of the trap.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

My only complaint re the general is the aluminum shaft gets aluminum oxide all over my left hand. I'd prefer if it were steel or were coated or something. I've torqued it up too hard and sprung the bulb off too.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I've got two generals on the truck. One with a drop head, one without.

One thing I do to my stool augers is bend the hook out and grind it to a sharp point.

Mini shampoo bottles and hair rollers don't stand a chance.

Comment

I've always been a fan of the General auger but recently purchased a K-6. So far I have no complaints .

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I took my plungers off my plumbing rig 5 years ago and use closet augers strictly for backed up toilets.

I'm never going to get blamed for a blown wax seal months later that did structural damage by hound pounding that toilet, not knowing if that clog is beyond the wax ring or before. No one knows...
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            I've always been a fan of the General auger but recently purchased a K-6. So far I have no complaints .

Mark
                            So THAT'S how you got the dog out!

Comment

Working...
                            X