Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Plumber / Draino - How To Deal With?

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could share / teach me what your procedure is when you run into draino / Liquid Plumber with your cables / sewer camara.

The last time I used drain equipment they were my companies and they didn't have a policy for that. It was pretty much a snake and go kinda shop and mostly commercial drains so not much Liquid plumber from what I saw.

So what I am asking is, when I get my drain machines and I run into draino etc, what is the best thing to do?

Wash the cables right away. with what...etc?

Any advice would be super fantastic.

Thanks in advance for sharing

Joseph
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Re: Liquid Plumber / Draino - How To Deal With?

fortunatly most of the liquids i run into are not the real nasty stuff.

i just run my machine and if i can run water with it in the line great. in not i hose them off outside the house and it never been an issue.

letting the stuff stay in your drums could be bad. but remember that the product is typically safe for metal pipes. so a little juice on the cable is no issue as long as you wash them off. then apply snake oil

it's the nasty stuff that you need to worry about handling.

i once had my leather gloves turn purple whan i handled the cables.

in fact the owner left gooey shoe prints on the carpet when they were using the product

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

baking soda, something to neutralize the acid. If they used a caustic soda instead then you need vinegar. What ever you do , do not snake a drain with a live acid or caustic soda product in the drain. First of you are putting yourself in danger of acid/base burns secondly you will ruin your cable. If you are using music wire cable it wont hurt it nearly as fast but it still will ruin it.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Automatically notify the customer they've made a mistake, that a charge will be implemented to deal with the danger, and let them know that it does damage cables. The time spent to clean the equipment thereafter also justifies the charge.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Thanks Rick, Steve & Ron , Youll Rock,

I figured I would ask before making any silly mistakes
          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

Great advice someone posted here just a week or two ago... (Sorry I can't remember who)

" Use pool test strips to test the Ph of the water your cable is going into"

That way you will know and there is a lower chance of injury...

GREAT ADVICE!

Comment

There is a member on here that paints his cutters a bright color. That way he knows if he has encountered chemicals in the line. I forget who it is. I have started doing this and If the cutter comes back missing paint I charge a nice fee.
              Remember like it was said earlier. These chemicals are nasty.Also beside the draino and liquid plumber. We all so have to worry about hard core acids. I just did a job yesterday where the guy put 100% hydro chloric acid down his drain. He was an ex wast water operator and had 'gotten this stuff from work. Basicaly we never know what the hell people have put down the drains, so we must charge them according at the first sing of any harsh chemicals

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                Great advice someone posted here just a week or two ago... (Sorry I can't remember who)

" Use pool test strips to test the Ph of the water your cable is going into"

That way you will know and there is a lower chance of injury...

GREAT ADVICE!
                Thats a neat trick !!!!

Comment

I've gotten to the point of power washing my snakes after I've used them in a drain that I Know had drano in it. Probably not the best solution but it also gives me an excuse to take some time and clean my equipment.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

i'm the pool strip guy. i also stop at the quarter car wash and wash the cable baskets (k-60), then use the wax function. $2.00 in indiana. use spray lube (no wd40) when i get ready to go to the job. breid..............

Comment

Working...
                    X