X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutters for 1 ¼" Cable

I had to break out my K-1500 today to rod a main line, guys stairs to his basement is only 20 inches wide. Had no troubles tearing through them heavy tree roots, with my root saw.

Thing is I have this bucket full of cutters for the 1¼" cable, and I noticed I was missing a couple. So I took out my new Ridgid Catalog so I could call Alan J Coleman with the exact part numbers of the blades I wanted.

First thing I noticed is I have some cutters that are not offered in the catalog anymore. For example I have a 2" wide spear head that has notches cut out along the edges, was advertised as a ice cutter. Also the "H" cutters T-11 (2 ½") and T 12 (3½") cutters are in the catalog but the 5" wide "h" cutter is not. They also offer the 2½ and 3½" Sawtooth cutters T 13 and 14 but in my bucket is a pair of 5" sawtooth cutters. I also have one that is like the spiral sawtooth cutter T-22 but its a heavier duty metal the blade is almost a ¼" thick.

The reason for this post is did they just leave these other cutters out of the catalog, or are they discounted?

I will take some pics in the morning and post them.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: Cutters for 1 ¼" Cable

Here are the pictures of a couple cutters. The sawtooth one is a sprung 3½" cutter. But the 3" cutter you can see how heavy duty it is.

Attached Files

Comment

Id like to see a pic of the one advertised as an ice cutter, if you get a chance.
      I've had no luck with cutting ice. I only pull back a very dull head that was sharp when I put it in.

Other then the ice cutter head I'm pretty sure I've seen the heads mentioned listed with General or Electric eel.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

ron i have a couple of these. it's made by general and uses the same coupling as the ridgid does.

problem is it's not as aggressive as the ridgid ones. the blade is super heavy, but the blade is thick and is not an offset design.

i prefer the the thinner offset ridgid spiral root saw.

i too have some older ridgid blades that were welded to the blade holder and are not replaceable. old school

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

ron i have a couple of these. it's made by general and uses the same coupling as the ridgid does.

problem is it's not as aggressive as the ridgid ones. the blade is super heavy, but the blade is thick and is not an offset design.

i prefer the the thinner offset ridgid spiral root saw.

i too have some older ridgid blades that were welded to the blade holder and are not replaceable. old school

rick.
          Rick, I like them both. The trouble I have with the thinner blades around here is some of the roots are so thick and heavy the thinner saw will snap off. So I get this one out. I also have the Ridgid cork screw cutter that has half round notches in the blade this one works really well in this root masses.

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
          Id like to see a pic of the one advertised as an ice cutter, if you get a chance.
          I've had no luck with cutting ice. I only pull back a very dull head that was sharp when I put it in.

Other then the ice cutter head I'm pretty sure I've seen the heads mentioned listed with General or Electric eel.
          Gene, I stand corrected, the Ice cutter is made by Electric Eel. I will get a picture for you still.

One thing I like to see is some sort of adaptor to go from Ridgid cutters to Eel cutters. For a while I used to run Eel cable though my K-1500. One other adaptor I think Rdigid should make is a ¾"male slot end by Ridgid 1¼" male so we can use the 1¼" cutters on the K-750/7500.

Comment

Why can't you just remove the 1500 blades and put them in a 7500 blade holder?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, remember the die grinder trick

hard to adapt a round hole to a rectangular hole. and visa versa.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Here is two other blades I really like to use alot.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  ben, remember the die grinder trick

hard to adapt a round hole to a rectangular hole. and visa versa.

rick.
                  I do remeber the die grinder trick but it's not a big deal at all to do. Or vise versa.....

Ron, your spiral blade with the notches.....what's the advantage to notches vs teeth? I've seen the notches in big spiral blades 6-12".
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    I do remeber the die grinder trick but it's not a big deal at all to do. Or vise versa.....

Ron, your spiral blade with the notches.....what's the advantage to notches vs teeth? I've seen the notches in big spiral blades 6-12".
                    No real advantage over the other cutters. Just another way to cut and tear roots apart.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post

I like the looks of it for some reason. It looks as though the cutting edge of the notches would ware less then the cutting edge of the saw tooth????

I have nothing to base that on , it just looks that way to me.
                      I'll have to keep my eye out, I'd like to try one out.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        No real advantage over the other cutters. Just another way to cut and tear roots apart.
                        Yeah, the spiral with notches is nice for grabbing heavier thicker roots and tearing/ripping.

Also, Ron I think you asked about adapaters. General does make adapters to go from from Slotted to Ridgid, Eel or, Spartan or General connectors. See the general website. I use these to put my General U-cutters from my Sewermatic on my 1500 occasionally.

By the way, anyone know the catalog part numbers for the sawtooth blades only (less the coupler)? The T-50 is supposed to come with 1 coupler and a each 3", 4" & 5" blades (to change out) but none of my distributors seem to be able to get their hands on these.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                          Yeah, the spiral with notches is nice for grabbing heavier thicker roots and tearing/ripping.

Also, Ron I think you asked about adapaters. General does make adapters to go from from Slotted to Ridgid, Eel or, Spartan or General connectors. See the general website. I use these to put my General U-cutters from my Sewermatic on my 1500 occasionally.

By the way, anyone know the catalog part numbers for the sawtooth blades only (less the coupler)? The T-50 is supposed to come with 1 coupler and a each 3", 4" & 5" blades (to change out) but none of my distributors seem to be able to get their hands on these.
                          Have you tried to talk to Marv at Alan J Coleman?

Having a good selection of cutters is a must in your neck of the woods. I remember back in the day we used to get nothing but main lines over in Brookfield, Riverside, Lagrange, LaGrange Highlands and Countryside. Was lots of word of mouth type calls, A-Archer used to be well known over there. But all the old timers there either moved or passed. Now we are lucky to get a couple calls a month overe there.

Comment

Haven't tried them yet. I'll give them a call. Thanks Ron

I chew up the 3" and 4" Sharktooth cutters like no ones business and for the most part the couplers are fine, just the blades worn. I'm tired of paying $35 a piece for the blade and coupler every other week. Hopefully your guys up North can get me a stock pile of spare blades!

I agree with having a wide selection of cutters. The root saw 3-1/2" is my personal favorite. But the Spiral bar 4" is a close second. You can't deny the versatility of the sharktooth C-cutter though.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                            X