X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another jetter thread

ok this will probubly will sound like i'm beating a dead horse. ok so i am beating a dead horse.
    at the risk of Rick, Adam, Mark, and Ben asking me why would i ask this or even do it. i will answer this up front. i can fit it in my current van,. without buying a bigger one for just the jetter. at least for now..... to keep the costs down for another van. to avoid a $600 monthly payments till everything pays for itself.
    here go's

a 4gal 3000 psi compact jetter will fit in my astro van without any problems. the 5.5gal 4000 psi would be too big for the space in my van.

the one question that i have yet to be answered is:

how far can i expect it to pull 3/8 hose with a rootranger? vs a 1/4 hose with a rootranger?

as far as pipe mostly pvc and some orangeberg.

the j3000 says it will pull 200 feet of 3/8 is this true?

ok there is more then one question here.

if you have this setup how does it work for you?
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Re: another jetter thread

I have a 3.5 gpm 3000psi (I call it my toy jetter) with a Root Ranger it will pull, with a bit of a push from me, 200' of camera.

I don't see why yous would not pull a 3/8 hose that same distance and more, but I have never tried it.

After reading Ricks post EDIT:
    Good point about turns ET.. Rick.
    I should add my set up pulls this in a straight run.
    Last edited by Gene Bickford; 09-29-2009, 10:25 PM.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

jered, i doubt it says it can pull 200'. it probably contains 200' of jetter hose.

i have rarely ever been able to push out 200' of seesnake cable, yet i have seesnakes with 200' and 325'.

footage is based on a lot of factors. typically the more offset, the less distance due to friction. a plastic run will pull much farther than a cast iron run. also a line with multiple changes of directions will not pull as far as a line with straight runs.
      yesterday i had a hell of a time with my trailer jetter doing 50' of 4'' pipe. tried both my 1/2'' hose, 3/8'' hose, warthogs and rootrangers.

finally ran my camera to see the problem. multiple offsets with roots and tight turns. every change of direction creates a braking action.

so to say you can pull 200' is unrealistic as a general rule.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

all right Rick. it does come with 200 ft of 3/8.

does your cart jetter pull 200 feet? what is the furthest you have gone with it?

Comment

I own a J-3000 and I have had it pull the full 200' of hose, some nozzles do work better than others. Turns do make it take a little longer but it still pulled out all of the line for me.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

i have 250' of 3/8'' hose for my longest one on my 18hp 3000# 5.6gpm.
            as i said it depends on the job.

i use different hoses for different applications.

rule of thumb. use the shortest hose that will complete the job.

i have hoses from 50'-400' a long hose cuts pressure and volume. it also cost a whole lot more when it wears out.

cleanouts are 100' by code. typically i have multiple options for placement. area drains have multiple openings. subterranean garages have multiple openings. it's sewer mains that i have typically 1 opening. these are usually under 200' plus the hose to get it to the c/o.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

with a 4 gal 3000 psi jetter. what differance is there in the 3/8 hose over the 1/4 hose, as far as pull and loss of gpm and psi at 200 ft?
              and what would be better, for this size of jetter?

Comment

for the machine you are talking about my choice would be 1/4".

I'd be wary of the root ranger in orangeburg; I'd strongly advise against letting it work in any one spot for too long. I'd say you should try it in a test piece before putting it in a buried line; from what I've seen that it can do it'll be tough to keep from destroying orangeburg with it.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I have 400' of 1/4" and 200' of 3/8". I really only use the 3/8" on nice straight runs. the 1/4" on everything else. My jetter is trailer mounted, so it's nice to have the extra hose, since I can't always back right up to the cleanout i'm working at.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

so why does the kj3000 have 3/8 hose instead of 1/4? i'm just wondering?

Comment

Because sometimes flow in GPM gets the job done and other times the smaller hose with High PSI does the job. Quit thinking in terms of 200 ft runs think instead of the pipe conditions and where the roots are, A series of 90's with roots in that area will stop your pull. After the roots are gone you can go further but you get dragged down by friction of the pipe offsets. Some jobs the nozzle rocks forever sometimes it does not, thats why you need different nozzles and differnt hose sizes. Just like snaking with cables differnt conditions need different combinations.
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

besides roots. 200 foot runs are common. i have had yet to need more then that. but time will tell.

Comment

Why not get a small trailer jetter or put a larger cart/skid jetter into a trailer unless you need it every day you can save the room in the van and pull the trailer to the job. The Astro payload is only 1700 lbs, with towing capacity of 6000lbs. You don't have to limit yourself to a small jetter, get one that can give you the extra gpm and hp. and you are also able to throttle it down for small jobs. This would give you the extra room in the van as well. I have an enclosed trailer with a gas jetter and separate hose reel in it along with hoses etc, I find it takes up too much room in the van because I do not use it everyday.

Comment

i plan on using it almost everyday.

Comment

ive been cleaning sewers for over 30 yrs., i just got my first jetter about 1 mth. ago. sat. i was called on a sewer job at the city municipal building,4in. castiron 100ft. i ran the sewer cable in & out 2 times and then jetted 2 times. my question is to you seasoned jetters is: after i jetted and pulled out i ran the camera thru and i still have alot of scale on the bottom of the pipe that needs pushed out! i have a kj3000 what head would i use to push the scale out into city main?

Comment

Working...
                              X