Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-1500A Troubleshooting

My machine has a problem,
    When pushing down on the control arm the cable feeds out, but will not grip and spin. (It has worked for years but this problem got worse and worse till now it is constant). If I let up on the control and then push down again it will finally grip and spin, until the clutch seems to slip ( I hear the springs vibrate) and it quits spinning again and starts feeding cable out. It used to be a minor issue and I would just let up then press down again, but now I am constantly trying to find the sweet spot were it will spin.

I disassembled it and cleaned it (like new) the Jaws look fine, but then I don't know what they looked like when new. Everything looks fine, no broken parts no obvious gouges or metal shavings.

Does this sound like a new set of jaws, or adjusting the rear collar? or something else? I hate throwing parts at it, but I don't mind investing in new parts. Just need to get it back up to speed,

Machine gets light use, 5 - 10 uses per year, mostly tree roots and handy wipes from mobile home park lots, 4" and 6" lines.

Thanks in advance
    Mike

Re: K-1500A Troubleshooting

Post Script

also looking for a recommendation for a parts supplier.
    The internet has a million, but I prefer giving my business to contributors to this forum, or businesses that have treated people here well in the past.

Comment

you say the jaws look fine, are they smooth or do they have a threaded groove worked into them. Good jaws should be smooth.

Comment

The jaws definitely have threads, in fact it looks like they were made that way, I assumed that was why the machine threads the line out with lite pressure on the clutch.

So even if that isn't the whole problem it sounds like new jaws are needed. I am curious about the "slipping" part though. As I apply pressure and the cable spins, suddenly the handle will drop another fraction of an inch, I will hear the springs move and the jaws seem to let go. Any other thoughts on that, or could it be because the jaws are travelling too far since they are worn?

Thanks for answering

Comment

Sounds like you need a set of jaws
          . Look and see if all jaws move when you push the handle down if they all do not move check the rocker arms and pins. The allan J coleman co has lots of them the number is 773 728 2400 The part number for jaws is 59320

Comment

the "slipping" is a result of the tolerance of the jaws being changed, when they are new they accept the 1 1/4" cable as designed / engineered but when the groove is cut into the jaws, over time, the tolerance changes and the jaws do not firmly grip the cable and hence the slipping, regarless of how hard you pull the clutch. As a footnote to this, the grooves are ultimately created by cable slippage. When the cable begins to slip in the jaws, created by the torque of the obstruction, the operator has two options....1) pull the clutch down harder to keep the grip on the cable or 2) release the clutch completely, allow the torque to go back up the cable and then reattack the blockage......the latter is what I recommend and you will see that you will be replacing your jaws very infrequently.

Comment

mc. i have a k-60(used). i sent jaws to allan j coleman. they said they were good returned them to me. they are honest. ratz turned me on to them. breid............

Comment

By your discription you need new jaws as there surface should be smooth with no grooves and when did you last lubricate your machine with a grease gun.

Tony

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

The machine was used when I got it, and I have used it for 3 years, I have never lubricated it- I will now, since I downloaded the manual (grease gun - you say? Hmm sounds better than a finger full of grease)

I'll order new jaws tommorrow thanks again for all the advice and the referal ( I saw another message with photos of colemans, I'll use them.)

I appreciate the advice about not allowing it to slip, I have always tried to stop as soon as there is binding, since I don't want to let the cable twist. But I can tell the previous users of the machine weren't very carefull. (They were employees and it wasn't their machine) My cables have obvious areas of wear with flat spots on the cable from allowing it to spin.

I do see one down side to this - I keep reading about having to pull out the cable! with the threads carved in my jaws, my machine automatically feeds cable out and automatically retreives the cable, I'm guessing with new jaws that won't happen and I'll have to get my hands dirty

Thanks again to all of you for your help

Comment

Quick follow up -
                    Called Colemans, told Shane about the recommendations and Kudos from people on this site.

Shane answered all of my questions, got my order out same day, and the price was competative with all the Internet lowballers.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                    X