Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
wha is yours? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • wha is yours?

    warranty on your drain cleaning. i'm trying to word my printed reciepts properly.
    are most of 30 days? 90? 1 year?
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

  • #2
    Re: wha is yours?

    If you are my customer, my concious is your guarantee, and you'll not find a better one.

    As far as in writing legalese goes, there is no guarantee, not 5 minutes worth.

    It worked when I left. If it is not woking now, I'd love to have a look at it, and if it turns out to be something I think I might have missed, that is on me. But if it turns out otherwise, there may well be another bill involved.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: wha is yours?

      everyone here is about having everything in writing. it make sfor good paper work! the top 4 companies here give a 1 year on everything. all the one man shows give 30 days.
      the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: wha is yours?

        When my father first started doing this work he always flat rated the job and gave a written two year guarantee.. It was written right below the description of the work preformed. It read as " Guaranteed one free rodding if above line blocks within two (2) years."

        Then in around 1980 he got introduced to T&M billing. So with our charges being a service call, machine charge and labor charge the guarantee's wording changed to, " Guaranteed one labor free rodding if above line blocks within tow (2) years" So this way we still got a service call and a rod charge but they got the labor free.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: wha is yours?

          A guy would go broke with a 1 yr guarantee on some of the old sewers around here..
          I clean drains by the hour...+ serv call and machine
          so the customer only pays for the time spent on the line
          If i have to go back ...... Its labor only for 30 days
          tampons or wipes ....Its New bill

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: wha is yours?

            Overpriced smoke and mirror guys power selling warranties.
            "Don't hate the Playa,hate the Game"
            Heard it a lot more than once.

            I'm on the fence with putting it in writing.
            I've told customers it's in my word.They're cool enough with that.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: wha is yours?

              Our guarantee used to be in our yellow page ads. My dad used to get tons of calls from other sewer and drain cleaners calling him an a-hole for giving a 2 year guarantee. But the key was it they only get one labor free rodding, or back in the day one free rodding.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: wha is yours?

                Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                Our guarantee used to be in our yellow page ads. My dad used to get tons of calls from other sewer and drain cleaners calling him an a-hole for giving a 2 year guarantee. But the key was it they only get one labor free rodding, or back in the day one free rodding.
                Sounds like they still pay the service call and equipment charge.

                So what's the deal on some of these peoples drains.
                They know they have a line that needs fixed.So do they want a guy to warranty so hopefully he can pay to maintain their line with free drain clearing?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: wha is yours?

                  Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  Sounds like they still pay the service call and equipment charge.

                  So what's the deal on some of these peoples drains.
                  They know they have a line that needs fixed.So do they want a guy to warranty so hopefully he can pay to maintain their line with free drain clearing?
                  Well lets say I went to a house power rodded the main sewer and it took me a hour. So the charges would fall as $60 service call, $45 large rod charge, $160 labor for a total of $265, now lets say it backs up a year later. I go out and rerod the line and get paid $105, and their guarantee is now voided out. So if it backs up again they will have to pay the labor again along with the other charges.

                  Now when I do return for a rerod (we call them beefs), I explain to the owner this is not normal, and they should consider having their sewer repaired, especially if the blockage was in the same exact spot.

                  I say in a years time I might get no more than 10 recalls, and out of them 10 I say 2 or 3 are just looking to get a discounted rodding. We will not rerod the drain unless we see it backing up.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: wha is yours?

                    Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    Well lets say I went to a house power rodded the main sewer and it took me a hour. So the charges would fall as $60 service call, $45 large rod charge, $160 labor for a total of $265, now lets say it backs up a year later. I go out and rerod the line and get paid $105, and their guarantee is now voided out. So if it backs up again they will have to pay the labor again along with the other charges.

                    Now when I do return for a rerod (we call them beefs), I explain to the owner this is not normal, and they should consider having their sewer repaired, especially if the blockage was in the same exact spot.

                    I say in a years time I might get no more than 10 recalls, and out of them 10 I say 2 or 3 are just looking to get a discounted rodding. We will not rerod the drain unless we see it backing up.
                    Thanks for the explanation Ron.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: wha is yours?

                      Great post and question. I worked for a big "Rooter" company and I liked their philosophy toward warranty on drain cleaning. I've implemented similar myself. 1 free return in 6mos, year, whatever you like. Reason is that if there is another prob, they will definitely call you. At that point, you have more evidence that the line needs to be repaired/replaced or maybe jetted rather than cabled. Of course, if HO jammed bananas in the disposer, towels in the toilet, you've just created goodwill. I realize that doesn't pay the bills, but the next call is more money. Two years is still a long warranty based on what some people put down their drains!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: wha is yours?

                        no written warranty. if i feel there is something i could have done different or i missed something then the 1st hour is on me UNLESS there is a physical problem with the system and they have done nothing to address the problem.

                        that is why i run the camera (if practical) after every job. maybe i can identify the issue, broken pipe, sag. whatever, and inform the owner/agent.

                        if they choose to not deal with the problem then the next time i'm callrd they get billed again.

                        steve
                        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: wha is yours?

                          My family company offered 6 month guarantee on labor and back any manufacturers guarantee on any parts. Call backs still got a service and cable charge but was not charged for time. The guarantee was for roots caused back ups or grease. Paper towels, white mice, diapers, baby wipes and all the crap that gets down there is their responsibility to keep it out. No one can guarantee against what people put into their sewer line. Our guarantee was written but it was also written that it was for grease or roots only. And usually only offered when asked for or trying to close the deal on the job. We would still honor it if some one where to call us back for the same issue with in six months but the more of your customers that know about it, the more people will try and take advantage of you.

                          What a warranty says to the consumer is that you have faith in the services and products you are providing. However it seems there are some out there that think, how can I get a free bee on this one. Sometimes you can close the deal on a job with a warranty and sometimes it comes back to bite ya in rear.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: wha is yours?

                            No guarantee, implied or written. We charge by the hour, (1 hr. min), & machine charge.

                            If the ask, I tell them that I cant guarantee a pipe that I did not install, and I can't control what goes in it.

                            Will their cardiologist guarantee the by-pass surgery? (How does he know if they are still on the fast food)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: wha is yours?

                              We still have a few streets that have orangeburg..
                              I don't know how some of them stay open as long as they do...
                              Just because you go through the line... doesn't make it new again

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X