Best machine for lav & Tub drain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best machine for lav & Tub drain

What is your thoughts on cleaning a tub and lav drain. Which machine K-39 or k-50 with the a-17 drum adapter.

I have both machines. I have been using the k-39 for about 5 yrs but a few months back i purchased a k-50 with the drum adapter and have used it a few times. I seem to like the k-50 more because you can set the machine down you do not have to hold it. Customers also comment on how fancy the machine looks! The only bad thing is if you get a small bathroom vanity top, that makes for no room for the k-50.

Also thoughts on the 5/16" cable with a drophead on it. I have always used the bulb auger, but im open to trying new things if they work better!

Re: Best machine for lav & Tub drain

I prefer the K-50 over a pistol rod. I also use both drums the A-17-A and the A-17-B. For them smaller bathrooms I use the larger cable and remove the P-trap instead of rodding through the trap.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

K-50 all the way.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

K-50 for me. some don't like the drop head but i do. BTW i don't use the drums anymore. i prefer the 5/8 cable with attachments

if i can't get there with the K-50 then the 39 comes out.

just my $.02 before taxes

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I prefer the K39 with the 5/16 cable for lav and tubs. Doesn't matter if it has a drop or bulb as I often flip the cable and put a bend on the end if need be. I suggest staying away from the 1/4 cable as they tend to kink and wrap up on themselves often.

Comment

I use a K-40 with a 1/4 cable...

ok Maybe "use" is the wrong term. I hate that cable, with a passion. it spends more time wrapped up on itself that it does cleaning drains.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

i like the K-50 with a drop head for drum traps
              if im rodding from the basement then its the pistol rod.

Comment

Originally posted by where am i View Post
                i like the K-50 with a drop head for drum traps
                if im rodding from the basement then its the pistol rod.
                Have you ever gotten your rod to go through the drum trap? I tell people I rod from the overflow and i can get my rod to make it through the long drum traps, and the short ones as long as they are plumbed in the right way. Then they call BS on me, but its hard to prove it to them if they are never on a job with me.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  Have you ever gotten your rod to go through the drum trap? I tell people I rod from the overflow and i can get my rod to make it through the long drum traps, and the short ones as long as they are plumbed in the right way. Then they call BS on me, but its hard to prove it to them if they are never on a job with me.
                  i can do it about 95% of the time. sometimes i just can't get it
                  sometime you haft to cut them out

the trick for me is the drop head

Comment

WHERE AM I

Are you using the drop head on lav drains?

Comment

jh

your in michigan. breid............

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                        WHERE AM I

Are you using the drop head on lav drains?
                        no. just tub's with drum traps & anything i can't get open with a regular cable

Comment

First off, I was a pistol rod K-39 fan for a long time, but I also recently get a drum adapter for my K-50 and haven't looked back since. I really like the ability to stop and start the cable quickly and have a hand on the cable at all times. For me, rodding is all about feel, and I don't like that you don't get to feel the cable itself with the K-39 (especially if you're using the autofeed).

I can get a 1/4" or 5/16" flexcore cable through drum traps most of the time. If its an easier one, I'll use a 3/8" cable with a drop head. It helps to manuever the sharp turns from the overflow to the trap, inside the drum trap and with cast iron 90's.

I've never tried using the 5/8" sectional on a drum trap. Tubs with p-traps, yes (only PVC though).

Another guy in our shop swears by the K-39 with 1/4" cable for EVERYTHING and he can get through the drum trap about 98% of the time.

I think it's all about what your comfortable with.

Comment

Even I would use/recommend a K-50 with drum attachment.

lol, LOL! HAAHAHAAAHAAHAAAAAAAA!!!! Woohoo drum!

All the way Horhe!
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                              I've never tried using the 5/8" sectional on a drum trap. Tubs with p-traps, yes (only PVC though).
                              Let me revise that: Did it on a drum trap last night with the straight auger. Could not get 1/4 or 5/16 cable through (just wanted to bind or flip), but the 5/8 open wind was just the ticket. 2 durham 90's + 1 bottom inlet, side outlet drum trap into a tapped closet bend. Rodding through the Waste and overflow on a 100+ year old tub on legs.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X