K-60 or K-1500

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: K-60 or K-1500

I have been useing a K-1500 for thirty years to clear out the most difficult blockages in 90mm to 150mm" drains I carry it on my truck all the time and is easy to set up on site.
    If you want a toy then get a K-60 and ask Rick for a demo and a milk shake.

Tony

Comment

I've got both machines. We are mostly o-berg, clay, and c.i. here. 1500 for all outside work. You can usually pull the truck right up to the c.o. anyway. With the larger cable, less chance of a cable wrapping up on itself in the main. It just does a better job for 4" and 6", IMO. K60 for interior if we need to pull a WC for access or a stopped stack or building drain. Easier to carry and use inside.

Comment

One of the benefits you posted Rick was on space saving size of the K60. Doesn't carrying a a push cart defeat this? I can't imagine carrying a cart that size on my truck.

I'm just sayin
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
          One of the benefits you posted Rick was on space saving size of the K60. Doesn't carrying a a push cart defeat this? I can't imagine carrying a cart that size on my truck.

I'm just sayin
          the push cart was for yesterdays job. we had to do 32- 3'' and 4'' c/o's in separate garages of a large complex. including some that were in a modified crawl space.

i never carry that cart in the truck. just load it when i get a job like this with multiple locations and lots of walking.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

K-60 is a 6" machine if needed heres how buy the General IC cable to go in the line as the first section, buy the larger 6" heads (4 blade) sold to fit the K1500 move the cutter over to your K-60 blade holder and go at it! If the line is really bad however I will jump to my Jetter or if I can't use it I grab the spartan 1065 and go to town.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

You may consider going with a Dewalt DWD460 drill as opposed to the Timberwolf.

The Timberwolf approach has a bit of a learning curve to prevent injury.

This particular Dewalt drill has an antibind clutch built in to it that may be a bit more forgiving (safe).

Here is the Drill I'm talking about.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...roductID=19152

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by avenitro View Post
                Thanks Plumber Rick and all the others, for the fast response, this information has helped me make a difficult decision, I'm going for the K-60 for now and maybe the 1500 or timberwolf adapter later. Not sure about that timberwolf though, looks to me like a guy might get hurt if it hit a big root ball a little too hard, and could be a little rough on the old back. Since you like it so well it must work good for you, what do you think about my above reservations about it?
                the timberwolf can be very dangerous if you don't have a real feel for it. it requires respect and a learning curve. it also requires for safety 10' or shorter sections. plus a 4' section for the trouble spots. sure i can run 15' sections, but you have to be quick on the switch and don't allow slack.

there are a handful of us here that use a drill adapter. one day there will be 1 less when we have an accident.

it's not a recommended way of snaking, but it's an accepted way with the few that know how to handle it. if you feel comfortable and have a good health plan go for it.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Why not leave the drills for drilling holes and use a drain auger for clearing drains like the k1500.

Comment

Originally posted by Boone Plumbing View Post
                    Why not leave the drills for drilling holes and use a drain auger for clearing drains like the k1500.
                    1 of my monthly accounts has 2 6'' c/o. the first one is at the rear of the building ground level 30' run. the other one is in the underground garage 5' up the wall 20' run.

both locations require multiple steps to access.

i can carry the drill, 30' of 1.25'' cable, 50' cord and 6'' cutter in my arms. i'm in my truck all packed up in under 45 minutes.

with the drill, it's an auto feed as the cable will screw into the drain as it turns at 300rpm.

with a 1500 i have to set the machine near the drain and run the cable up the pipe. use 1 hand to pull and feed and 1 to control the clutch.

i doubt that anyone with a 1500 or any other machine can get up and down the stairs at 2 locations, set up, clean and be down the road in 45 minutes.

sure the drill will not slip and you have to be careful when using it, but when you've done it hundreds of times, it's second nature.

the drill is not an ideal indoor tool as you have 10' of cable exposed, but i don't use this indoors.

the drill sits in my truck in a pull out drawer. the drill can snake lines, mix concrete, and drill holes and cost $300.

the 1500 sits in my shop and it can only clean lines. plus it cost $2000.

there has not been a drain i couldn't clear with the drill. including concrete in 6'' pipes.

anyone interested in a new 1500 with less than a few hours on it

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

OK
                      I was invisioning all kinds of disasterous and messy scenarios in my head with the exposed cable and drill.

Comment

How exactly do you use a drill with a sewer cable?

Comment

YOU guys need to read up on this. Both RICK and GENE are PROS with the drill method. RICK has posed some pics of his great catches with the timberwolf!

Comment

I think we are

Comment

Whatever is your prefered sewer machine they are designed to be safe to use in any clearing situation and that is why we buy Ridgid, but drills of all kinds are designed for other purposes and some of you may have the ability to use them for other means but others are not and can be vary dangerous to use in clearing sewers in inexperience hands.

Tony

Comment

KM-1500 all the way for me. We have 2 machines, 1 from 1982 and one from god-knows-when. By far the most reliable tools our shop has ever purchased.

I've never used a K-60 before, but I could definitely see it working well for many applications. (especially with the innercore cable). I'm dealing with 6" clay pipe about 95% of the time though. Even though you guys say the innercore cable makes it a 6" machine, it bothers me that Ridgid states 4" as the max.

I prefer the heavy artillery, and so do my customers. You also can't rent a 1500 around me, so it truly is the "Pro's only" tool. Just my preference though.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X