X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 or K-1500

I am planning to buy a sectional machine, Since I can't afford two machines right now I am trying to decide which machine to buy. I am getting it to clear sewer mains in a residential atmosphere. lot of older homes with 3 & 4 inch drains of which some will drop into an old 6' clay tile line. Which machine will serve me best until I can afford the other. Getting to old to drag these drum machines around. plumber rick if you happen to see my post would appreciate your feed back or the feed back of the rest of you pros on here. I've worked as a plumber for 18 years and started my own business two years ago, so as you other plumbing contractors know when jumping out on your own you have much to learn that you never had to think about before.

Re: K-60 or K-1500

I personally would get the K-1500 the 1 1/4 cables can clean 3" to 8" lines with ease. When you get into the larger pipes (6"+) you will want the 1 1/4" cables to tear out them tree roots. The 7/8 cable the K-60 uses is undersized for the larger lines and can easily turn around on itself.

Now if you hardly ever see the 6" and bigger lines and its mostly 3" and 4" the K-60 can do the job for you. It also fits in crawl spaces real nice as well its very easy to take on a roof if you ever have that need.

So what you have to do is think about where you are most the time when cleaning the drains. Then make your choice from there.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

if your going to be rodding a lot of 6' clay tile sewer line. i wound go with the 1500.

Comment

Originally posted by avenitro View Post
        I am planning to buy a sectional machine, Since I can't afford two machines right now I am trying to decide which machine to buy. I am getting it to clear sewer mains in a residential atmosphere. lot of older homes with 3 & 4 inch drains of which some will drop into an old 6' clay tile line. Which machine will serve me best until I can afford the other. Getting to old to drag these drum machines around. plumber rick if you happen to see my post would appreciate your feed back or the feed back of the rest of you pros on here. I've worked as a plumber for 18 years and started my own business two years ago, so as you other plumbing contractors know when jumping out on your own you have much to learn that you never had to think about before.
        the k-60 of course i too do lots of 2-4'' lines. the 4'' connects to the 6'' lateral that runs from the sidewalk to the center of the street. typically 30-50' of 6''. remember that if you're going in from a 4'' c/o then you have a 4'' cutter. i use c-10ic innercore on the first 15' section.

if i have a 6'' c/o which is not too common. then i will use my 1.25'' cable and my timberwolf drill. the 1500 is also a fairly large and heavy machine with cables. takes up truck space and ever since the timberwolf adapter, the 1500 has not seen my truck.

the k-60 does 90-95% of all my drain cleaning. i also carry 5/8'' cable for it. i can easily carry the machine in 1 hand and 90' of cable in the other. i can easily go onto a roof or crawl space.

i would buy 10' sections and a 4' section of 1.25'' cable and keep it in case you have a nasty stoppage in 6'' or larger pipe. a timberwolf is actually stronger than a 1500. but a word of caution, a timberwolf is also more dangerous than a 1500. 15' sections can get scary with a drill.

just don't ask me ask adam, ben and anyone else who owns a k-60 what they think of the k-60.
        there's a reason it's the #1 selling sewer machine ridgid produces

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I have both machines! I also cable 6" clay main lines.

The k-60 does 95% off every job. I posted a thread where my k-1500 finnaly got some use after much time on the shelf.

If you have other machines to cable smaller lines (1-1/2 - 4" lines) i would go with the k-1500.
          If you do not have other machine to cable smaller lines, then the k-60 is by far the best all around machine!

The k-60 with the 7/8" General innercore cables is a great machine! I have no trouble cabling 4"-6" clay mains with roots! Every once in a while there is need for the k-1500, but that is only 2-4 times a year. On those "special Jobs"!

Comment

That's odd, I have been debating the same question myself.

I ended my personal debate with deciding on the the K-1500. It has never let me down and it is easy to set up on c/o's that are 3' or higher in a basement.

Space is not a issue for me. I just prefer a larger cable and height. If all my c/o's were at ground level or on a roof I would have thought more on the k-60.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Yep I vote k-60 also for the above reasons. I have 3 of them now!
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I find the k1500 very good for longer runs and roots, it has more power and larger cables that do not get bound up. The k60 is very useful for shorter runs and roots and getting into tight spots. If you want one to carry in the truck, get the k60 with the 5/8 and 7/8 cables. I would look around for used machines, often people are selling good equipment, and these machines last forever.

Comment

The K-60 is my go to workhorse

With a sharp set of cutters and a bit of skill it will tackle the toughest root jobs in a 4" line (Very light roots and soft stoppages in 6" IMO)

My K-1500 is still collecting dust, if I had more room on the truck I would take it with me and get to use it...lol

The K-60 is the best purchase I have ever made (Thanks to Rick and this board).

Bill

Comment

In my opinion, the K-1500 is too large and heavy to carry in the truck full-time unless you have a really big truck. The K-1500 should stay in the shop except for those drains that the K-60 cannot handle.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                      Yep I vote k-60 also for the above reasons. I have 3 of them now!
                      are you trying to catch up with me

joey i need to 1up cuda

i have 3 k-60's and 2 general rt-66 pretty much a comparable machine.

i used the rt66 and adam the k-60 yesterday on 32- 3'' and 4'' c/o in separate garages.

the c/o's were approx 4' off the ground and we both had 2 shelf push carts with all our goodies and tools. never missed a beat or had to go back for anything.

last year adam didn't have 1 day of snaking under his belt

this year, adam could have done it himself with all his own equipment.he chose the k-60 over all his other choices

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I get the K-1500 now and buy the paper weight..;. I mean the K-60 later.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Rick,

What do the self push carts look like?
                          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                            Rick,

What do the self push carts look like?
                            it's a 2 shelf cart. similar to the rubbermaid 24'' x 36'' 4 wheel poly cart.

this allowed us to gain the proper elevation for the raised c/o's and carry all the extra goodies to service the drains. from wrenches, hoses, caps, rags, buckets gloves, cable, cord.

basically we loaded our carts with everything to perform the drain cleaning and returned to our trucks when we finished the entire job.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Plumber Rick and all the others, for the fast response, this information has helped me make a difficult decision, I'm going for the K-60 for now and maybe the 1500 or timberwolf adapter later. Not sure about that timberwolf though, looks to me like a guy might get hurt if it hit a big root ball a little too hard, and could be a little rough on the old back. Since you like it so well it must work good for you, what do you think about my above reservations about it?

Comment

Working...
                              X