• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reason why to call a Pro.

Lmao!:d
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I have in my past cleaned to many drains ..
      With a cable machine that would eat you up if you weren't paying attn

Comment

Wondering what machine the guy was running? I have a feeling it was a common Electric eel model R as seen below.

As you can see someone can get really close to the reel. You can see how easy loose clothing can get caught up. Never been a fan of this machine. Plus I bet if it did not have an air foot switch. If not the air foot switch would have saved a life that day. This unit is very common in the rental industry. None that I have seen ever had an air foot switch.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I wouldn't just assume he died as a result of the equipment type or error on his part. Maybe he had a seizure, a stroke etc that prevented him from cutting the power off. An autopsy is being performed so I'm going to refrain from any judgment till the COD is determined.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            Video of this guy's death would be very beneficial to the nature of this product and what can go wrong. That way when a homeowner attempts this task, a video can get thrown at them and let them contemplate the degree of risk and what it's worth to avoid the charges of a plumber/drain cleaner.
            I kind of doubt it. We live in a age where virtually every hazard and safety precaution is documented and yet people still attempt to do things they probably shouldn't.

Comment

He may of died of other complications but what put him in the hospital was the accident with his hooded shirt wrapped around his neck and the cable. Here is another article that gives more detail of what happened. It is from the Skokie Review which is the local paper for the town nearby the accident.
              http://www.pioneerlocal.com/parkridg...109-s1.article

Skokie man dead after construction accident
              (http://www.pioneerlocal.com/parkridge/news/1837327,park-ridge-skokie-death-102109-s1.article)

October 21, 2009

By JENNIFER JOHNSON jjohnson@pioneerlocal.com

A Skokie man who was hospitalized last week following a plumbing-related accident in Park Ridge has died. An autopsy was scheduled today (Wednesday) for Joseph C. Patyk, 32, who died Tuesday at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge.
              Park Ridge police said the accident occurred Saturday while Patyk was using a power rodder to clean out a drain outside a home the 700 block of North Merrill Street.
              Police said a neighbor discovered Patyk unconscious on the front lawn of the home at about 7:30 a.m. and contacted the homeowner. The homeowner discovered that part of the hooded sweatshirt Patyk was wearing was wrapped around his neck while the other end of the shirt was coiled around the long piece of sewer equipment he was using.
              Patyk was transported to the hospital where he died Tuesday.
              Park Ridge Police Cmdr. Lou Jogmen said Patyk was not a city-hired contractor and had been hired by the Merrill Street homeowner to perform work on private property.
              An autopsy was scheduled for today.
              </STRONG>
              Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
              I wouldn't just assume he died as a result of the equipment type or error on his part. Maybe he had a seizure, a stroke etc that prevented him from cutting the power off. An autopsy is being performed so I'm going to refrain from any judgment till the COD is determined.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              Ron's Facebook
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Gruesome story, Ron. While many would say this was a freak accident, it goes to show you the potential of the tools being used. Anyone who's cleaned drains has had the cable wind, flip, and do somersaults as you pray that stupid drum stops spinning soon. If he had only lived and been a forum reader. Rick and a K60 might have saved this guys life!

Comment

Dunbar! Nice to see that on vid.I have tried welding a few different drains open.
                  One was a standpipe with the topside pvc.When I hit the water it sounded as though
                  someone had turned on a garbage disposer.
                  The other was a nice,new gfi Mr home owner had installed "just last weekend".
                  I was holding my machine and went to turn the water on and POW.
                  I grabbed 2 extra cords and plugged in downstairs.
                  Periodically I now tune in Brewers games from my fillings as a result.

Comment

very sad story. Makes me want to consider having a helper around when I am working.

Comment

Originally posted by handybull View Post
                      very sad story. Makes me want to consider having a helper around when I am working.
                      All our trucks have a plumber and a helper on the truck. No matter what size the job is.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      Ron's Facebook
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by richinflorida View Post
                        Gruesome story, Ron. While many would say this was a freak accident, it goes to show you the potential of the tools being used. Anyone who's cleaned drains has had the cable wind, flip, and do somersaults as you pray that stupid drum stops spinning soon. If he had only lived and been a forum reader. Rick and a K60 might have saved this guys life!
                        as i've said in the past, a k-60 or any sectional style machine with a hand operated clutch would have come to a stop in a split second with no run on. all you need to do is let go. even easing up it will stop.

we've all been bit by a sewer cable 1 time or another. we learn by our mistakes and unless you have a close call or a mistake you don't learn.

hopefully this will shed some light onto both us pros and the people that don't do it professionally, that any piece of equipment is dangerous.

unfortunately even a pro can have an accident that could turn out to be their last.

i take a chance every time i use my timberwolf drill with sectional cable. i know that 1 day i might be on the wrong side of the cable and it wouldn't be pretty. joeys seen me get whacked with a 7500 cable in the head 1 day and it drew blood. i knew i was taking a chance with the way i was attempting to clean an overhead drain. i did it anyways. the thing was i knew it based on experience.

you always feel sorry for the family and friends of the victim. 1 day the person goes to work and doesn't come home. it's a chance we all take in this line of work.

think about what you're doing before you do it.

my eyes tear for this persons spouse, family and friends.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Funny,Son , son in law,good friend and I spent last weekend at family's Puget sound Island Home. Was barefoot and friend said" that's the ugliest big toe nail I've ever seen. Went on to tell about cutting a 3ft wide flange 20 years ago. I knew My foot was close and kept cutting. I paid with a boot full of blood, and an ugly nail. Of course I can kick a small stump out of the ground barefoot ,and feel nothing!
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thank you Edwinb1958 for your comments. I am a friend of Joes. He was an amazing person and very skilled and experienced in his work.
                            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 10-30-2009, 12:36 PM. Reason: Inappropriate language

Comment

unfortunately you are not understandings rons reason for posting this tragic story. believe me, he did not post it to gain any work out of a tragic event.

he posted it to warn all of us to be careful around equipment we sometimes take for granted since we use it in our daily business.

having personally met ron and his daughter a couple months back at the ridgid headquarters, i can tell you all the pros including ron, were looking out for each other as we competed head to head in some events that could have been extremely dangerous. especially for the ones who have never used this piece of equipment. if might have been a competition, but we all had the responsibility to look out for each other.

i know how difficult the loss is for all, especially the ones that knew him.

i know that ron was not trying to make an example out of this incident, but to inform all of us who sometimes forget what a mistake/ accident can do to the ones we care for.

hopefully you will understand this as time goes on and appreciate the fact that others are here to help look out for all of us.

please feel free to come back to this forum and use your knowledge to help protect/ educate those that you might never ever meet.

we're all saddened by the loss of a pro doing what we all do. lets please remember this.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

True true very true.
                                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                                X