• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason why to be careful

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...102109.article

Contractor dead after accident with sewer equipment

October 21, 2009

STNGWire

A Skokie man died Tuesday after an accident with sewer equipment in northwest suburban Park Ridge.

Joseph Patyk, 32, of the 800 block of Lawndale Avenue in Skokie, was pronounced dead at 1:45 p.m. Tuesday at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.
    A piece of Patyk’s clothing became twisted around his neck while working with a machine on the 750 block of North Merrill Street in Park Ridge, according to the medical examiner’s office.
    A Park Ridge police officer said the man was a contractor working with sewer equipment “some days ago” when the accident occurred. He apparently had been hospitalized ever since. It was not immediately known when the accident happened.
    An autopsy is scheduled for later Wednesday. Park Ridge police are investigating.
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 10-30-2009, 01:20 PM.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: Reason why to call a Pro.

This is one of the major reasons OSHA wants two men on a job with any power operated cable machine.

Many take for granted these machines are not safe in untrained hands. The danger level goes up 10 fold if you try to use the cables in a use they where not designed for.
    Ron's Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      Many take for granted these machines are not safe in untrained hands. The danger level goes up 10 fold if you try to use the cables in a use they where not designed for.
      i see it 2-3 times a year here. no deaths but broken bones and serious cuts

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I had a home owner that called me one year to power rod her kitchen sink. About 3 years latter she calls me to power rod it again. While power rodding her drain, she proceeded to tell me it clogged up last year. And that I made it look so easy she rented a rodder to clear her own drain. As she was rodding the line the cable wrapped around her hand and glove, her natural reaction was to pull her hand away. Her hand came out of the glove but it tore of a few of her fingers which were still in the glove. As she told this to me she took of her driving gloves she was wearing to show me the missing fingers. She told me she will leave this kind of work to us pro's from now on.
        Ron's Facebook

Comment

I would love to know what machine he was using.

Plumber Ricks timberwolf??

Comment

Threading machine,sewer machine, Vic machine,right angle drill,there all dangers if your wherein loose fitting clothes or not paying a tension.
            Last edited by where am i; 10-21-2009, 08:31 PM. Reason: miss spell

Comment

about 30 yrs ago a local plumber had his 14 yr old daughter with him on a drain clean, was using a 1065 spartan and her hair got tangled up in the cable, scalped about half of her head, lots of surgery and skin graffs, shes always had to wear a wig. BE CAREFUL!!!!! things like this happens quick.

Comment

Originally posted by leak1 View Post
                about 30 yrs ago a local plumber had his 14 yr old daughter with him on a drain clean, was using a 1065 spartan and her hair got tangled up in the cable, scalped about half of her head, lots of surgery and skin graffs, shes always had to wear a wig. BE CAREFUL!!!!! things like this happens quick.
                be careful adam......

Comment

Originally posted by leak1 View Post
                  This happened to my father as well. He was rodding an overhead clean out, and as he was running the machine he leaned over to look down the cleanout and his hair got to close to the cable and got caught up. He grabbed hold of that cable and squeezed with all his might to keep it from spinning, and yelling at his dad to stop the machine. My grandfather quickly put the machine on reverse before any thing got any worse.
                  Ron's Facebook

Comment

Are you that hard up for business to post such an insensitive comment? The man was a pro. A very good one. This was a horrible accident that can happen to any pro. Any pro would realize this. A 32 year old young professional lost his life on his professional job. That comment was uncalled for and should be removed. Horrible accidents happen but to try to conquer business over a terrible tragedy is really bad. Why to hire a pro? That's a title you give a tragic accident? Did you know the man? You knew he was not a pro? Because that is what you are saying. I know one thing, you're no pro. You have really brought a new LOW to your company. You have no empathy and ANY professional with half a brain would know this type of accident can happen. Instead of making a comment with no compassion, why not try to find out the maker of the machine? Maybe there is a flaw that could be remedied or your brain won't extend that far? In case you did not know, there is such a thing called technology. I'm sure the many many professionals that will be attending THIS professional's funeral will be thinking karma is a bit@ch. I would not hire you if your services were free.
                    Last edited by Edwinb1958; 10-23-2009, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Video of this guy's death would be very beneficial to the nature of this product and what can go wrong. That way when a homeowner attempts this task, a video can get thrown at them and let them contemplate the degree of risk and what it's worth to avoid the charges of a plumber/drain cleaner.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Edwinb1958 View Post
                        Are you that hard up for business to post such an insensitive comment. The man was a pro. A very good one. This was a horrible accident that can happen to any pro. Any pro would realize this. A 30 year old young professional lost his life on his professional job. That comment was uncalled for and should be removed. Horrible accidents happen but to try to conquer business over a terrible tragedy is really bad.
                        What was so horrible and insensitive about the original posters' comment?

He just stated this is a good reason he does not recommend DIY'ers and homeowners to rent dangerous machinery.

That's not a bad or insensitive policy.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwinb1958 View Post
                          Are you that hard up for business to post such an insensitive comment. The man was a pro. A very good one. This was a horrible accident that can happen to any pro. Any pro would realize this. A 30 year old young professional lost his life on his professional job. That comment was uncalled for and should be removed. Horrible accidents happen but to try to conquer business over a terrible tragedy is really bad.
                          I no where in my post said he was not a pro. What I was trying ti point to in my post title, is if a home owner or a DIY'er was thinking of cleaning their own drains, they should think twice and call a pro. And yes I posted the article to inform people of the Dangers of drain cleaning. I am sorry you took offense to how I posted it. But I will not change this post one bit. It does serve a point that if an experienced pro can get killed doing this, its ever more dangerous to a DIY type. Have you read the rest of the posts in this thread? Also instead of trying to make me for posting this and others that have positively posted within this thread look bad, maybe you should have PMed me first and I could of explained to you the reason for my post. Did you read post #2 where I said this is why OSHA wants 2 MEN on a job where a power cable operate machine is used? Where was his helper? But that is beside the point .. YES IT IS TRAGIC HE DIED. But lets learn from this a Home owner or a DIY person should not try using these machines on their own it is a two man job, and both men must be a professional at drain cleaning.

I also made a post in this thread explaining how a home owner lost her fingers to a power rodder. It was post #4

So let me be very clear to you Edwin, I did not once say he was not a professional. I just posted his article as a heads up to everyone. These machines can severely hurt you and kill you as what happened to this poor fellow. My great Uncle died cleaning a sewer, this was before they had confined space entry laws. He went into the manhole to guide in the rope for a bucket machine, and was overwhelmed by the lack of oxygen in the sewer. If that was recent I would post that article the same way I did this. Since confined space entry is something someone needs to be trained on just as well as using power rodders... so I would never ever recommend to anyone that is not a pro to attempted either.

A little note about my dad. He heard this story on the radio WBBM news radio while he was driving. The first report they just said a contractor died today due to a piece of his clothing getting caught in his sewer machine. there was no other details. My dad called me up and my brother then my cousin, to check to make sure it was not any of us. Why would he do that? Because even though I have been doing this for over 20 years, my brother and cousin been doing it for 30 years it still can happen to us. Accidents do happen to us pro's as this article shows us. Which is why I say in the title of this post Reason why to call a Pro. I do not want to see anyone get hurt or die. I do feel bad for this guy and the many others that have died in the past. But lets all learn from these accidents.
                          Last edited by SewerRatz; 10-21-2009, 11:21 PM. Reason: add another paragraph to the end
                          Ron's Facebook

Comment

I can't base this on fact but 20 years ago at an electrical safe class I took, we where told on GFI's that the biggest electical shock deaths where from rented snakes, and we where urged to put GFI's on all our snakes to prevent deaths. Back then some snakes still had electric foot switches not air switches. As most snakes now come with GFI's as standard equipment we can see how far we have come. Don't forget about actually having a grounded 3 prong chord when snaking and I don't mean a 3 prong with the ground torn off because the customer only had 2 prong outlets.
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                              I can't base this on fact but 20 years ago at an electrical safe class I took, we where told on GFI's that the biggest electical shock deaths where from rented snakes, and we where urged to put GFI's on all our snakes to prevent deaths. Back then some snakes still had electric foot switches not air switches. As most snakes now come with GFI's as standard equipment we can see how far we have come. Don't forget about actually having a grounded 3 prong chord when snaking and I don't mean a 3 prong with the ground torn off because the customer only had 2 prong outlets.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgX5JWVmrEA
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X