X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-39AF Suggestion

At the round up we got to use many of the tools there. One of them was the K-39AF. Its a real neat idea, but two things where a little awkward for me. While working the feed and if you have to hold the pistol rod upward the weight of the unit can easily engage the chuck. This may take a little learning how to hold the machine in such a way to ensure the chuck does not engage.

My suggestion number one is why not have an internal drum like the auto spin does and anchor the cable in the drum so there will not be a need for the chuck. If you are worried about cable flipping on itself you can make it where the cable feeds between a molded opening just wide enough for the cable to pass through and have an inner drum to prevent cable cross over.

Second suggestion is the auto feed. It has two levers which requires you to move your hand from one lever to the other which is a bit awkward, I was thinking why not make it one lever with a center pivot point so you just need to rock it forward to feed cable in and rock it backwards to roll up the cable.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: K-39AF Suggestion

You're describing a spartan 700.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      You're describing a spartan 700.
      Never used a 700 so I cannot tell you if its any good or not. But if Ridgid anchored the cable in their K-39 there would be no need for the chuck. And the autofeed for the k-39 if it was a rocker style all I have to do is slide my hand on the other half of the rocker to roll up the cable. Instead of having to re-grip the machine to roll up the cable.

What would be perfect is maybe a lever you can squeeze down to lock the feed bearings down on the cable so this way its locked in place in neutral position till you squeeze the feed in lever or the feed out lever like the auto feed on the K-7500. This way when you get on a blockage you just have to let go of the feed lever and work the spot till you get through then continue cleaning the drain.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

ron, if you hold the weight in the palm of your hand and use your fingers to squeeze the paddles/ clutch, you should be fine.

i sometimes rest the front assembly on a sponge sitting it the sink rim. this takes all the weight off and still protects the fixture. then i use my hand to apply pressure to the clutch.

the cable will feed all but the last 5' being non attached. attaching the cable would make it much more time consuming to swap cables and clean it out.

i think that by having 2 separate paddles it allows you to easily open both up to allow for cable to be inserted and moved in and out without power feeding. also swapping cables would be awkward too.

the k-39 is a easy to use machine and easy to service. messing with it makes it into a k-40 and you know how i feel about a k-40

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I made up a holder to support my K39 when clearing a sink inside which makes it easy to use.
          Ridgid should pull the K40 apart except for the frame and drum and adapt a K39 pistol drill to it so as to be able to use the frame or not and then you would have the best of both worlds, as the person who disgned the K40 in the first place should have been sacked, drawn and quartered, tared and feather, boiled in oil I starting to lose it +?????????/_________++++***"""""''':::::

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
            I made up a holder to support my K39 when clearing a sink inside which makes it easy to use.
            Ridgid should pull the K40 apart except for the frame and drum and adapt a K39 pistol drill to it so as to be able to use the frame or not and then you would have the best of both worlds, as the person who disgned the K40 in the first place should have been sacked, drawn and quartered, tared and feather, boiled in oil I starting to lose it +?????????/_________++++***"""""''':::::

Tony
            tony, i take it you don't like the k-40 either

the k-40 can be adapted to a k-39 af pretty simple. if you remove the guide hose and attach the power feed to the front ring of the frame, then you have a sit down unit with power feed and no guide hose.

or you just remove the entire hose and feeder and you have a sit down non auto feed unit.

problem is you then expose a lot of cable as you can't get the machine close enough to the drain opening to get past the trap.

tony, i got a deal for you on a slightly used k-40

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              tony, i take it you don't like the k-40 either

the k-40 can be adapted to a k-39 af pretty simple. if you remove the guide hose and attach the power feed to the front ring of the frame, then you have a sit down unit with power feed and no guide hose.

or you just remove the entire hose and feeder and you have a sit down non auto feed unit.

problem is you then expose a lot of cable as you can't get the machine close enough to the drain opening to get past the trap.

tony, i got a deal for you on a slightly used k-40

rick.
              Rick I`ll ship my K40 to New Zealand and you can take it home with you as a memoir of happier times, as I know you like having a Ridgid tool with you at all times.

Tony

Comment

I think the new guide hose should solve the k40 problem. You used to have to put the machine in reverse to retract the cable. Not anymore since they listened to their customers and put the k39af autofeed on the k40.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                  Rick I`ll ship my K40 to New Zealand and you can take it home with you as a memoir of happier times, as I know you like having a Ridgid tool with you at all times.

Tony
                  thanks tony

but with an extra $25.00 luggage fee for my third bag, it's not worth it

look for joey and i to be in your neck of the woods end of november

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X