X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeowner and augering

Had a call for a stuck cable. The homeowner rented a drum machine to clear the 4" sewer at his store. After kinking the cable in a couple of spots and getting it stuck, he called us. After some difficulty, we were able to remove the cable (without kinking it). He was into a heavy root mass. When he saw our leather gloves with the steel palm he said " I should have had a pair of those, my fingers got caught in the cable". Yikes. I also put the camera down the drain and found an old diving weight. About 10 yrs ago the store was a scuba shop. I don't know how the weight got down the drain but I do know it will be the most expensive weight he ever purchased. I don't think these machines should be rented out or atleast have some type of training before you are able to rent one. It was also undersized for a 4" drain with heavy roots, a 1/2" cable with no auto feed. Hopefully the homeowner learned a lesson.

Re: Homeowner and augering

Guy is very lucky he did not loose any fingers. My dad was just telling me a bunch of stories where he went on jobs where the homeowner lost fingers, hands even their arms to a power rodder. People that lost their hands and arms where drum type machines, the people that lost fingers where in a sectional type machine.

It just goes to show that having the proper safety equipment (proper type of gloves for the cable your handling) and the proper training on the these machines is very important.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I've been wrapped up a few times back in the old days of learning on a Burton without auto feed. You learn to get off the pedal quick!
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Boone Plumbing View Post
        Had a call for a stuck cable. The homeowner rented a drum machine to clear the 4" sewer at his store. After kinking the cable in a couple of spots and getting it stuck, he called us. After some difficulty, we were able to remove the cable (without kinking it). He was into a heavy root mass. When he saw our leather gloves with the steel palm he said " I should have had a pair of those, my fingers got caught in the cable". Yikes. I also put the camera down the drain and found an old diving weight. About 10 yrs ago the store was a scuba shop. I don't know how the weight got down the drain but I do know it will be the most expensive weight he ever purchased. I don't think these machines should be rented out or atleast have some type of training before you are able to rent one. It was also undersized for a 4" drain with heavy roots, a 1/2" cable with no auto feed. Hopefully the homeowner learned a lesson.
        Can You tell me where I can buy those gloves?
        Last edited by toolaholic; 10-28-2009, 11:18 PM.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

a number of years back when home depot started to rent equipment, i said somebodies going to get killed with this stuff

it's the rental yards way of darwinism

i think you actually sign your life away when you rent and read the fine print

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Having worked at a rental store I can tell you that when a customer comes in and looks at the snakes they almost always take the 1/2 cable machine over the 3/4" machine no matter what we told them they needed. Why? Size and weight and price. Small one fit in there car and was a lot lighter and it cost less money. We got to the point that we hid the small machines in back and quized them on what drain they where doing. If they actually needed the smaller snake then we took them to them. I rescued so many stuck snakes in those days. And don't get me started on them saying they didnt damage the cable it was like that when we rented it lol
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

It's a tough call... I'll not ever be renting the stuff as I don't want to hear about a customer hurting themselves; I'd still feel bad whatever iron clad liability release I'd hid behind.

But I think they have a right to give it a shot if they are that strapped that they can't afford to call me in, and understand and accept the risk. I'd have been one of those renters years ago... I got started fixing cars because I figured out that for most things I could buy the part and a special tool or two for what it was going to cost to pay a mechanic. I probably hastened the demise of a couple of the p.o.s. cars I drove back then, but mostly not.

My only problems with it is that most of the time I doubt they do understand the risk, and that when they get hurt they're gonna want to blame the machine and the people who rented it to them, and that when they don't get hurt it's going to encourage them to get in way over their heads on the next issue they run into.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
              X